Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

You find a £20 note on the street... Watch

• View Poll Results: You find a £20 note on the street. Do you...
    Keep it
    94.00%
    Hand it in at the nearest police station
    6.00%

ReputationRep:
    Keep it. If you gave it into the police station they'd pocket it, it's only £20. Not worth their while, just buys them a round of drinks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Armadillo)
    Have you been in a situation in the past where picking up a valuable item caused trouble?
    Nope, never. I just think it's unwise to pick up something in a public place that doesn't belong to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    Can you give us examples of 'potential trouble'? Please tell me they involve drugs and gangsters.
    I will answer your question with a question - do you really think it's wise and completely risk-free to pick up items you find lying on the ground?

ReputationRep:
    Would hand it in.

£20 could be someones food budget for the week.

Would hand in £10 as well probably but keep a fiver or less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    I will answer your question with a question - do you really think it's wise and completely risk-free to pick up items you find lying on the ground?
    That doesn't answer my question. I am not doubting what you say is true but I need examples. The more exciting, the better.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Would keep it, even if you handed it into the police station what's the likelyhood of it getting to the person who lost it?

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone who dropped a £20 note go to a police station to ask if it had been handed in? I would feel far too stupid to even consider it.

ReputationRep:
    This actually happened...

...and I kept it; I was with friends and they told me I should have split it 3 ways (between us), I told them they should be more observant :pierre:

(I was about 9 or 10 at the time though)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    Would anyone who dropped a £20 note go to a police station to ask if it had been handed in? I would feel far too stupid to even consider it.
    Or why don't people who haven't dropped money go in and just ask if any has been handed in?

"Definitely mine officer"
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Give it to charity, or hand it in to the local police station.

Though the chance of someone asking a police station if their lost £20 note has been handed in is rather slim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    Or why don't people who haven't dropped money go in and just ask if any has been handed in?

"Definitely mine officer"
    Exactly. Handing in £20 is starting to seem very, very stupid. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the police told the person to keep it in some cases.

ReputationRep:
    What sort of bell end would hand a £20 note in to the police station

ReputationRep:
    i would try to give it back to the peson who had before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    What sort of bell end would hand a £20 note in to the police station
    I should have put it like that.

ReputationRep:
    If it was in a envelope of some sort so the owner could be tracked I would hand it in.
    But if just loose cash I would keep anything found less than £200

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Give it to charity.
    That's a very nice thing to say Bill Gates
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KrisCussans)
    That's a very nice thing to say Bill Gates
    Yeah he'll earn it back on the way home:ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This happened to me! I found a £20, and phoned the local police and asked them what I should do.

They said hand it in, and if it wasn't claimed within x number of days I could claim it.

Wandered down to the station...no-one there. There was a waiting room you could walk straight into and a reception counter which was all closed up, then a locked door with no handle on the outside. I waited for 10 minutes, and when no-one showed up I left with the money.

ReputationRep:
    Turn it into £100m by playing the Euromillions!

ReputationRep:
    Those who say they'll hand it to the police station are liars! I'd keep it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.