Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

WWYD: save the last genetically diverse female lions on earth or a complete stranger? Watch

• View Poll Results: What would you do? Save...
    Lion cubs
    62.50%
    Stranger
    32.81%
    Neither
    4.69%

ReputationRep:
    Stranger , human life is more valuable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    Stranger, your own species comes first. I would not shed a single tear if lions became extinct.
    You do realise the existence of humans is reliant of the biodiversity of the planet? :rolleyes:

Considering people generally don't give a rats ass when strangers do indeed die by the bucket load I'm going to go for the lion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueskyblue)
    Should I get the opportunity I will gladly throw you off it instead.

Lets be honest , most of mankind don't amount to anything special or have an impact on the world . Sure there are doctors , groundbreaking scientists , inventors etc but most of the billions of people in the world are just corporate drones pumping more money into the system in exchange for their lives , spending their wages on useless commodities and seeking escape from their **** lives .

Humans are not this divine thing people make them out to be .
    I think it's a bit embarrassing that you care more about an animal that doesn't give a **** about you than you do about humans. Your mother, your father and everyone who loves or likes you is a human. Your complete disregard for your species is bemusing. If you hate humans and their "**** lives" and "useless commodities" so much you could always switch off your computer and go live in the jungle with your precious animals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    x
    Are you of belief that the life of one person is more important than the biodiversity of our planet? Surely you recognise a healthy planet to be of fundamental importance to our species?

ReputationRep:
    Lions.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a bit embarrassing that you care more about an animal that doesn't give a **** about you than you do about humans. Your mother, your father and everyone who loves or likes you is a human. Your complete disregard for your species is bemusing. If you hate humans and their "**** lives" and "useless commodities" so much you could always switch off your computer and go live in the jungle with your precious animals.
    I don't see whats embarrasing about it.

Theres a difference between someone I love and a stranger.

I don't give a damn about a strangers life and I doubt they give a damn about mine , if you had to choose between your loved one and a stranger everyone would choose their loved one so lets not pretend mankind is all benevolent and lovey dovey , we are a race constantly at war.

Nowhere have I said I hate humans , I have just pointed out the numerous flaws we have as a race , with 7 billion of us the life of one person is insignificant in it all . We are without a doubt the worst inhabitants of this planet and I would happily choose to save an endangered species life over one of ours .

umad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marcum)
    Why do you hold the idea that they must do anything for us? In the long run a genetically diverse population of predators would benefit our planet, and consequently our species, a lot more than the life of one person.
    Well when I was considering my decision, I was thinking about that current moment, not the years to come. We are a different species to these types of animals and I have no desire to associate with them. I may sound arrogant, but personally, I find the life of a human more valuable than a lion cub.

ReputationRep:
    Are you of belief that the life of one person is more important than the biodiversity of our planet? Surely you recognise a healthy planet to be of fundamental importance to our species?
    But if it's got to the stage where there's only one lion left, then that's going to happen anyway. Besides, humans are resourceful. We could clone the lion.

ReputationRep:
    Surely in this situation you could save both? Help stranger then pick up lions? Otherwise, save lions. Be conservationist hero. Good times.

ReputationRep:
    But if it's got to the stage where there's only one lion left, then that's going to happen anyway. Besides, humans are resourceful. We could clone the lion.
    If you read the question it says in this scenario we would save the lions as a species. Cloning has its complications.

ReputationRep:
    My reasoning is this:

If a human found themselves dangling of a ****ing cliff, they're pretty stupid. Not worth the saving

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ndella)
    Well when I was considering my decision, I was thinking about that current moment, not the years to come. We are a different species to these types of animals and I have no desire to associate with them. I may sound arrogant, but personally, I find the life of a human more valuable than a lion cub.
    Do you not find the 'health' of our planet to be of paramount importance? Lions are a vital species when it comes to controlling animals in the savanna. Furthermore, if we save the lions we have another 'genetic bank' at our disposal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    .....You can save the stranger OR the last bag of genetically diverse female lion cubs, and thus the entire lion species - what would you do?
    I love all wildlife, especially lions (and tigers) but it would have to be a human over an animal, so the stranger.

ReputationRep:
    Do you not find the 'health' of our planet to be of paramount importance? Lions are a vital species when it comes to controlling animals in the savanna. Furthermore, if we save the lions we have another 'genetic bank' at our disposal.
    And what will happen when those animals dominate? I'm still saving the human nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    stranger probably

ReputationRep:
    Further proving my point most humans lack the capacity to think about sustaining the future.

And what will happen when those animals dominate? I'm still saving the human nonetheless.
    You think Lions are going to take over mankind lol ? , they're too busy getting slaughtered for trophies or dieing due to humans interfering in the ecosystem.

ReputationRep:
    Family member > Lions > Stranger

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueskyblue)
    Further proving my point most humans lack the capacity to think about sustaining the future.

You think Lions are going to take over mankind lol ? , they're too busy getting slaughtered for trophies or dieing due to humans interfering in the ecosystem.
    Of course I don't, I meant the animal kingdom! Exactly, so what's the problem in letting the cub go? The guilt trip isn't working on me.

ReputationRep:
    stranger, the lions could be brought back eventually as we advance with genetics/technology

ReputationRep:
    The lions, we need to try our best to save them, even if they might die of inbreeding.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.