The Student Room Group

AS Law exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by courtrose
Well I said why the case was relevant to Law. I meant I didn't explain the case full, the scenario. My tutor asked to either right the case name and why it's relevant to Law or the scenario, not both and I'll be annoyed if she has wrongly advised me.

That's what I did... for example, In Donoghue v Stevenson I didn't see the point in reeling off a load of dribble about how it was the fashion at the time to drink ginger beer, I just stated the neighbour principle that was established from the case.
Yeah. I put the case name, stated the principle, but didn't put the scenario!:smile:
Original post by courtrose
Yeah. I put the case name, stated the principle, but didn't put the scenario!:smile:

Maybe this is the wrong way to go about it. I really don't know what to do :s-smilie:
It was the same in my college im an A grade student and i got a C and thats one of the better grades. Think theyve marked really harsh this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hannahgunterxx
It was the same in my college im an A grade student and i got a C and thats one of the better grades. Think theyve marked really harsh this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm guessing you're AQA too? Was it module 2 you got the C in?
Original post by snikutsmullac
I'm guessing you're AQA too? Was it module 2 you got the C in?

Nope im WJEC, seems its the case all around then haha! But it was the 2nd exam i got a C in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope im WJEC, seems its the case all around then haha! But it was the 2nd exam i got a C in

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think WJEC exams are really different to AQA, but nonetheless it seems everyone is doing worse than predicted :-l really annoying as Law is the subject I'm interested in applying to study at university! I was sure I'd get an A.
I think WJEC exams are really different to AQA, but nonetheless it seems everyone is doing worse than predicted :-l really annoying as Law is the subject I'm interested in applying to study at university! I was sure I'd get an A.

Thats my problem atm, i want to do law in uni but a C on my application is going to look terrible. I'm having my first paper remarked because its 1 mark off an A so will pull me up to a B overall. Relying on that really

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thats my problem atm, i want to do law in uni but a C on my application is going to look terrible. I'm having my first paper remarked because its 1 mark off an A so will pull me up to a B overall. Relying on that really

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, good luck, let's hope it gets marked up! I'm looking to have module 2 re-marked but I don't know if it's worth the trouble...
What universities are you considering? :3
Ah, good luck, let's hope it gets marked up! I'm looking to have module 2 re-marked but I don't know if it's worth the trouble...
What universities are you considering? :3

Im just totally resitting my 2nd unit it will just be easier than having another remark lol. I'm looking at Cardiff or Glamorgan possibly Bristol. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im just totally resitting my 2nd unit it will just be easier than having another remark lol. I'm looking at Cardiff or Glamorgan possibly Bristol. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aaah, fair play. Sounds good! I want to go to Leicester; I went on the open day and I thought it looked really nice... The entry requirements are AAB! Should hopefully be achievable :3
Aaah, fair play. Sounds good! I want to go to Leicester; I went on the open day and I thought it looked really nice... The entry requirements are AAB! Should hopefully be achievable :3

I havent really looked at ones far a field haha, hopefully get into cardiff there requirements are AAA though got to work so hard this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I havent really looked at ones far a field haha, hopefully get into cardiff there requirements are AAA though got to work so hard this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same, I don't want to go too far from home :'( Leicester and East Anglia are the ones closest to me which are the nicest and that I could realistically get into... Cambridge is about an hour away, but that will never happen xD

I'm sure you could get AAA with plenty of hard work! I'm working my a*** off this year to try and get all my grades up! What other subjects do you do?
Same, I don't want to go too far from home :'( Leicester and East Anglia are the ones closest to me which are the nicest and that I could realistically get into... Cambridge is about an hour away, but that will never happen xD

I'm sure you could get AAA with plenty of hard work! I'm working my a*** off this year to try and get all my grades up! What other subjects do you do?

So am i, i worked hard this year but its made me realise i need to work about 100x harder haha. I'm doing maths (pure and stats) and english lang and lit combined. I did do sociology as well but im dropping that one. What did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So am i, i worked hard this year but its made me realise i need to work about 100x harder haha. I'm doing maths (pure and stats) and english lang and lit combined. I did do sociology as well but im dropping that one. What did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I worked to about 80% of my capabilities; really determined this year to do better. Sounds like good subjects. I'm doing Law, History, and Human Biology. I did AS-Chemistry but I completely and utterly flunked it, so I'm not even going to bother trying to re-sit!
I think I worked to about 80% of my capabilities; really determined this year to do better. Sounds like good subjects. I'm doing Law, History, and Human Biology. I did AS-Chemistry but I completely and utterly flunked it, so I'm not even going to bother trying to re-sit!

I probably did about that as well. I could never do them not good at any sciences bar chemistry haha. Hope you get the grades you want next year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I probably did about that as well. I could never do them not good at any sciences bar chemistry haha. Hope you get the grades you want next year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was best at chemistry at GCSE, got an A* but AS-Level was horrifically bad and my teacher just made matters worse. Oh well.

Best of luck to you too.
Unit 1 I got 80/100, JUST into the A boundary but I'm happy with it. Unit 1 is just fact-recalling, can't really go too wrong if you know your three topics like the back of your hand. If you're retaking just get the facts ingrained into your subconsciousness! Which topics did you do in the exam?

Unit 2 I got 69/100, one more mark and it would've been a B. Debating whether to re-take or work really hard in A2; I think I'd rather bag a higher score in AS and not risk it because A2 looks so difficult! How did you approach the application questions?

Hi mate I would really reccomend taking unit 2 next year, once you start unit 3 you will realise unit 2 includes much of the information such as the basic non fatal offences and you can insert some cases you learn whilst studying unit 3 into unit 2 exam. For example the situations when an omission can constitute a breach of duty- pitman, stone v dobbinson, gibbins v proctor, miller etc are all in unit 2 and most of the cases are dealt with in unit 3 aswell

In my as year I only got a c for that paper 82/120 but this year I resat and got an A, almost full marks. The only thing with that paper is that there are far more answers worth lesser marks which is something I didn't like about the paper. If you weren't rigid and concise with your timing then you could quite easily fall behind. Good luck whatever you decide to do though, and as law can be very subjective make sure to get a second opinion and a remark if possible unless your retaking the unit for definite.

To summarise to other readers, try to pick up as many marks in the as law exams as in a2 there is more content to learn and more of a focus in concept questions and application questions, and hence naturally exam technique needs to be really refined. 25% per module per a level is a lot so don't waste it, I am resitting unit 1 this year and it is so boring compared to unit 3/4 but still it had to be done!
Original post by neal95
Hi mate I would really reccomend taking unit 2 next year, once you start unit 3 you will realise unit 2 includes much of the information such as the basic non fatal offences and you can insert some cases you learn whilst studying unit 3 into unit 2 exam. For example the situations when an omission can constitute a breach of duty- pitman, stone v dobbinson, gibbins v proctor, miller etc are all in unit 2 and most of the cases are dealt with in unit 3 aswell

In my as year I only got a c for that paper 82/120 but this year I resat and got an A, almost full marks. The only thing with that paper is that there are far more answers worth lesser marks which is something I didn't like about the paper. If you weren't rigid and concise with your timing then you could quite easily fall behind. Good luck whatever you decide to do though, and as law can be very subjective make sure to get a second opinion and a remark if possible unless your retaking the unit for definite.

To summarise to other readers, try to pick up as many marks in the as law exams as in a2 there is more content to learn and more of a focus in concept questions and application questions, and hence naturally exam technique needs to be really refined. 25% per module per a level is a lot so don't waste it, I am resitting unit 1 this year and it is so boring compared to unit 3/4 but still it had to be done!

I've decided I'm going to get module 2 re-marked; if that fails then I'll just re-take it. I'm sure I done better than a C in that exam but if I didn't, what can you do? Will just have to try again. Yes unit 3 overlaps with a lot of unit two so I won't have to do that much revision, only for the negligence section!

It's a really difficult exam to time; that's something I'll really have to work on. The other exams are alright because all questions are worth almost the same amount of marks so you can easily divide your time!

Thanks
I've decided I'm going to get module 2 re-marked; if that fails then I'll just re-take it. I'm sure I done better than a C in that exam but if I didn't, what can you do? Will just have to try again. Yes unit 3 overlaps with a lot of unit two so I won't have to do that much revision, only for the negligence section!

It's a really difficult exam to time; that's something I'll really have to work on. The other exams are alright because all questions are worth almost the same amount of marks so you can easily divide your time!

Thanks

Good plan, remark will definitely be a good option given the subjective nature of law. It is a difficult exam yeah, but like you said you just have to plan I guess. What I did when I rest was look at cases that were bit specifically in the spec but listed them in addition to the cases which needed to be in. A good one is to try and get the cases of mowatt and grimshaw in there somewhere, just little stuff like that which differentiates your paper from others

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending