Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did I sound desperate or was being direct the best approach? watch

ReputationRep:
    There didn't seem any future to this relationship anyway, given how you're in completely different stages in life (you being a graduate and her just starting uni).

(Original post by ilem)
    There didn't seem any future to this relationship anyway, given how you're in completely different stages in life (you being a graduate and her just starting uni).
    It's a valid point actually. But hey, never know what the future may hold. I could meet a new girl next week and forget about this one, or I could end up meeting this same one again in the future, life is funny.

One reason why I'm not keeping in contact with this girl is because she's going to be at University for three years and keeping that contact is likely to friend zone me. That's why I always find it best to cut the contact completely then if later down the line they contact me or we bump into each other again then at least potentially something could happen rather than friend zoning myself, etc.

I don't want the above statement sounding like I'm going to hang around waiting for this girl for three years, because I'm not. I'll be moving on and meeting other girls, it was just a thing I generally do to "keep options open".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's a valid point actually. But hey, never know what the future may hold. I could meet a new girl next week and forget about this one, or I could end up meeting this same one again in the future, life is funny.

One reason why I'm not keeping in contact with this girl is because she's going to be at University for three years and keeping that contact is likely to friend zone me. That's why I always find it best to cut the contact completely then if later down the line they contact me or we bump into each other again then at least potentially something could happen rather than friend zoning myself, etc.

I don't want the above statement sounding like I'm going to hang around waiting for this girl for three years, because I'm not. I'll be moving on and meeting other girls, it was just a thing I generally do to "keep options open".
    Definitely remove her from your life. She's a romantic interest, not a friend, hence keeping in contact as friends is wholly unnecessary and unhealthy.

(Original post by ilem)
    Definitely remove her from your life. She's a romantic interest, not a friend, hence keeping in contact as friends is wholly unnecessary and unhealthy.
    Yeah, definitely. Alright I won't have her on Facebook any more but if she ever looks through her inbox in the future and I'm still there, there's an option to contact.

Anyway, time to move on with my life!

Hmm she replied "I'm so sorry for messing you about, I was just trying to decide how I felt. Sorry, hope you get everything sorted."

Does this mean she wasn't interested and was giving me an excuse, like your typical "I'm not looking for a relationship" excuse when girls really mean they're not looking for one with you personally?

I'm just a little confused as she mentions she's not looking into pursuing anything as she's moving away, which is understandable.. but then she says she was trying to decide how she felt?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.