The Student Room Group

Completely failed a-levels!! help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You don't have to redo a year - you can just pay to resit your exams and study independently. In the mean time, work and/or do an internship and reapply. Perhaps fork out some money for few 1 on 1 tuition sessions.
Reply 21
Original post by Pee jay
You don't have to redo a year - you can just pay to resit your exams and study independently. In the mean time, work and/or do an internship and reapply. Perhaps fork out some money for few 1 on 1 tuition sessions.

Yeah this is what I'm considering doing, the year spent working and getting experience would probably look better on my applications as well?
Reply 22
Original post by threeportdrift
What are you going to do with at least £30k of debt and a degree in criminology from Leicester? You need to think longer term than 'my heart [is set] on Leicester when your starting point is 'completely failed a-levels'. You need to review all options, the primary one being 'can I get to where I want to be professionally without going to University?'.

I'm not just doing Criminology for the sake of it, it's something that I've wanted to do for years... I wanted to go to Leicester because I really liked it there and the modules for the course would be helpful for the career I want to do.
Reply 23
Original post by Amyleigh95x
If you WANTED to move away, I would recommend ringing Sunderland uni. They still have places on the Criminology course and I think they are accepting anyone now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't want to move away for the sake of it. Sunderland seems like an OK uni but it's too far really, I live in South Essex so I wouldn't really be able to travel up and see it before going there, and I don't just want to move somewhere without knowing what it's like first. :/
Original post by rachrl03
I'm not just doing Criminology for the sake of it, it's something that I've wanted to do for years... I wanted to go to Leicester because I really liked it there and the modules for the course would be helpful for the career I want to do.

Then retake your A levels.

What you have expressed are the reasons for doing THAT course, not 'any course that'll have me'. Stick with it. Retake the A levels and reapply.
Reply 25
I think my best options are to do my a-levels as a private candidate and spend the year studying and working and then reapply for uni.

Thanks to everyone for your help! :smile:
Reply 26
Yeah this is what I'm considering doing, the year spent working and getting experience would probably look better on my applications as well?

It probably won't make a big difference but insofar as they're interested it's better to show that you're up to something. Lots of people doss during their gap years and make up stories about doing voluntary work in Sub Saharan Africa so they tend to take it with a pinch of salt.
I originally applied to do Criminology at Leicester uni and had my heart set on it. I needed ABB but when I got my results back I only got DDD :frown: in psychology, biology and religious studies. My results were mainly E's and U's, with a few C's. I got BCC in my first year so that brought my grades up slightly :/ I still want to do criminology at uni so here are my options:

-Re-take my a2 year. I have no idea how I would even go about sorting this out with my college to be honest and I didn't really enjoy it or like my teachers.

-Take a gap year to work and then resit my exams in the summer. I'm not sure how I would resit my Biology a-level because theres coursework that needs to be done and marked by a teacher?? also I'm worried that I will still not be able to get my grades up because of my as results.

-Do a foundation year at uni. Keele was my second choice uni and they're a fairly decent uni and they offer a foundation year for social sciences. I've emailed them and there are no spaces available for this year. so I could work for a year then start the foundation year?

-Do a foundation year at a worse uni. Southampton Solent has a law and criminology foundation year available to start this year, (I need to speak with them and check) but it's not as great of a uni as other places.

Would there be any chance of me doing the foundation year at Solent and then applying to another place like Leicester or Keele? Or would they see my a-level results and run? Please help I really can't decide what would be the best option!

Hi rachrl03,

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get into Leicester! Don't panic as you still have options available. Have you considered Kingston Uni? Criminology is a popular course here and may suit your requirements here is the link for the course
http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate-course/criminology/ . As you can see as a part of your degree one module is made up of industry related experience, giving you a good start in the field. If you are interested in the course give our clearing hotline a call 0844 842 9599.

You can also see what some of our students think on the course such as Nicole who is studying Criminology with Sociology and ask her any questions you may have.

Good Luck and if you have any more questions please ask,

Chloe :smile:
Student Ambassador
Original post by nulli tertius
Unless you want to work in refrigeration where it is the place to go. :smile:

Nah mate. If she wants to put two bits of fish on a tray and repeat ad nauseam for 40 hours a week, it's where you want to be.

Original post by returnmigrant
No such University. You mean University Centre Grimsby, which is an HE/FE college. They can't validate their own degrees (they have no Royal Charter) and their degrees aren't worth having. Even London Met would be a better option than that.

Returnmigrant, my parents live near there. It looks really pretty, but the town itself is a dump. Would not recommend Grimsby to anyone tbh.
I originally applied to do Criminology at Leicester uni and had my heart set on it. I needed ABB but when I got my results back I only got DDD :frown: in psychology, biology and religious studies. My results were mainly E's and U's, with a few C's. I got BCC in my first year so that brought my grades up slightly :/ I still want to do criminology at uni so here are my options:

-Re-take my a2 year. I have no idea how I would even go about sorting this out with my college to be honest and I didn't really enjoy it or like my teachers.

-Take a gap year to work and then resit my exams in the summer. I'm not sure how I would resit my Biology a-level because theres coursework that needs to be done and marked by a teacher?? also I'm worried that I will still not be able to get my grades up because of my as results.

-Do a foundation year at uni. Keele was my second choice uni and they're a fairly decent uni and they offer a foundation year for social sciences. I've emailed them and there are no spaces available for this year. so I could work for a year then start the foundation year?

-Do a foundation year at a worse uni. Southampton Solent has a law and criminology foundation year available to start this year, (I need to speak with them and check) but it's not as great of a uni as other places.

Would there be any chance of me doing the foundation year at Solent and then applying to another place like Leicester or Keele? Or would they see my a-level results and run? Please help I really can't decide what would be the best option!

What about de Montfort in Leicester not sure what the grades are but it is in clearing may be worth a call
Take this as a great opportunity to reconsider the merits of criminology as a career path.
Original post by SophieLaw_
Its very rare you can transfer doing a foundation degree in one uni and go to another uni I'm afraid as the foundation degree isn't a proper qualification

Its not rare. Almost all universities other than Imperial/Cambridge would consider a foundation year at another university for entry.
Original post by TunaTunnel
Its not rare. Almost all universities other than Imperial/Cambridge would consider a foundation year at another university for entry.

Uni of Liverpool and Sheff don't
Newcastle no longer does
Kings apparently doesn't either.
Have you considered any other routes into the career you want to do? With those kinds of grades, you should be thinking about whether a degree is the right thing for you...there might be apprenticeships or an entry level position you could get now and work your way up into the job you actually want. I took Criminology as a module on my degree and it wasn't very useful!

That doesn't answer the question though.
Reply 35
I'd recommend the Uniformed Public Services course. A lot of colleges offer it and at different levels too - GCSE and A-level equivalent. Its fully coursework based, so no exams.

I'm on the course atm, going into my second year. You learn about all of the emergency services - police, ambulance and fire to name a few, but also all of the armed forces.

You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it
You have your heart set on Crimonology at Leicester, but don't like your college. Therefore the take a gap year and resit sounds like the best option to me.

However ABB is a big ask, as you will likely have to resit your AS results too.

So do you think you could handle it? As you don't want to waste a year. :tongue:

You would have to phone your college up regarding how to do the biology coursework as an external student - I am sure there will be a way.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by Amyleigh95x
Urm no, it isn't a popular course there. All of their other other courses are full. Keep your opinions to yourself. I'm trying to help someone

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the long term I dare say returnmigrant and a couple of others are doing far more to help the OP than you are. You only get one shot at university (for the most part), you need to choose the course and the university very carefully. A lot of places and courses are not worth the expense. Better to start working and then have the option to start a degree in a few years once you've grown up and worked out what will be worth the paper the degree is written on (not to mention the time and money wasted on acquiring it).
Reply 39
Original post by Scott.M
You have your heart set on Crimonology at Leicester, but don't like your college. Therefore the take a gap year and resit sounds like the best option to me.

However ABB is a big ask, as you will likely have to resit your AS results too.

So do you think you could handle it? As you don't want to waste a year. :tongue:

You would have to phone your college up regarding how to do the biology coursework as an external student - I am sure there will be a way.

Good luck! :smile:

I think I could do it without resitting, the B was a very high B and I'm going to redo my AS coursework so if I get an A I think it will bring my entire AS grade up to an A. And the C's were pretty high as well, I think if I get B's in those subjects in A2 I will get a B overall :smile:

I definitely think I'll work better from home so I'm feeling pretty confident that with a year's worth of revision that I'll get the grades :smile:

I'm gonna ring up my college either today or tomorrow (though I'm not sure if they're open yet)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending