Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2710)
    A good interview will get you the deal. But its getting to the interview. Wherever you go make sure you get a 2:1 even if it costs you your right hand. I have a friend who got a 2:2 in her Law degree and no luck getting training contracts because the competition is just too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hopefully I will do what my father did, his A level results were BBCC (I don't obviously want those results though) but then he almost got a First. I will be getting quite a bit of work experience though, the only problem at the moment is that most chambers around me are full for the next few months.

ReputationRep:
    Your grades are fine!
    And i know people who went to lower end Law Schools and walked out with top results and do postgrad at top unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    By top uni we're talking your top 10 which will actually aid you in getting into a Law orientated profession. The industry is so over subscribed anything below the best is not considered good enough.
    Partially true. Yes a top 10 will give you an edge but for most law firms a top 20 with at least ABB at a-level + a generally good application will mean you have a decent shot.

I know of people who went LSE and didn't get a TC and also know people who went to a Top 20 Uni and did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elliott_Malik)

Ok, slight mistake, my history wasn't that solid, only 162 UMS and Philosophy was 128 and so was quite weak. I have used a UMS calculator and apparently I need 192 UMS to push Philosophy up to an A overall and 158 UMS to keep my history at an A grade next year

I must confess that I only did the work that I needed to do, no more, no less and I am going to work much harder over the next year.

I am also prepared to resit the exams that I didn't do as well in/ask for them to be remarked and even to read history and then convert to law afterwards.

Sorry I wasn't very clear! I meant was the exam board for Philosophy AQA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomfailinghelp)
    Sorry I wasn't very clear! I meant was the exam board for Philosophy AQA?
    Yes, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, sorry.
    Oh wow, awesome, hardly anyone does it! Congrats on your grade dude!

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, awesome, hardly anyone does it! Congrats on your grade dude!
    Ok, may I ask why you are congratulating me?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, may I ask why you are congratulating me?
    Its just polite.. sorry I didn't mean to be rude...

ReputationRep:
    Its just polite.. sorry I didn't mean to be rude...
    Thats ok, you didn't seem rude, it just seemed a bit odd really to congratulate me for getting a C grade.

ReputationRep:
    Thats ok, you didn't seem rude, it just seemed a bit odd really to congratulate me for getting a C grade.
    I think a lot of people would be very happy with that grade, I thought you might be. And anyway, you'll have plenty of opportunities to bring that up next year so I wouldn't worry.

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of people would be very happy with that grade, I thought you might be. And anyway, you'll have plenty of opportunities to bring that up next year so I wouldn't worry.
    I wasn't worrying too much but then I decided to visit TSR and I must confess that I am now doubting my ability to get into a good uni for law. Another problem is that I am still debating whether to read history and then convert to law or just read law. I like both subjects so it wouldn't really bother me, the main difference is that I don't want to have to be in uni for another year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    By top uni we're talking your top 10 which will actually aid you in getting into a Law orientated profession. The industry is so over subscribed anything below the best is not considered good enough.
    Oh, okay. Thanks for the response. I've seen how competitive law is, I'm glad I don't want to go into that field. I'm hoping to do biological sciences.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I received my AS level results slip on Thursday and my grades were adequate, not the best but not the worst. The problem is that I want to either read law or read history and then convert to law.

My grades are as follows:

A - History
    B - Politics
    C - Philosophy
    C - Geography (We have to drop a subject and I am dropping Geography)

So my question is, can I improve my grades next year to enable me to read law (e.g. History at an A/A* grade, Politics at an A/A* grade and Philosophy at an A grade) or, should I give up on law next year and focus on history or simply retake the exams that I did worst in and take a gap year?

How difficult would it be to get my grades up to a standard that would enable me to go to a Russell Group University to read law?
    You can definitely get into a Russell Group uni with those grades! My AS grades sucked because I was failing and fainting all over the place, missing exams yet those grades, combined with a pretty **** personal statement, got me a place at THREE Russell Group unis. I came out with really good grades!

Your grades are really good for AS, you can definitely do it!

ReputationRep:
    lol "read law", oh brother

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    lol "read law", oh brother
    Really? What is so bad about the word that is the correct word to use for something like Law, is a word that I have been taught to use and is a word that everyone around me uses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mochassassin)
    You can definitely get into a Russell Group uni with those grades! My AS grades sucked because I was failing and fainting all over the place, missing exams yet those grades, combined with a pretty **** personal statement, got me a place at THREE Russell Group unis. I came out with really good grades!

Your grades are really good for AS, you can definitely do it!
    Thank you, a few quick questions
    if I may; Which university did you go to? What were your A level results and what are you doing now?

ReputationRep:

Thank you, a few quick questions
    if I may; Which university did you go to? What were your A level results and what are you doing now?
    Lancaster University (top 10, might I add!).
    I got A*AB at A-level.
    I got in for International Law (which I dropped because Law wasn't for me and am now going to do English Lit w/ Creative Writing).

Can't remember my AS grades, they were that bad but honestly, AS grades don't account for much. I'm sure I got a U and an E. And still all five universities gave me offers. :eek:
    They know what they're doing, haha.

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster University (top 10, might I add!).
    I got A*AB at A-level.
    I got in for International Law (which I dropped because Law wasn't for me and am now going to do English Lit w/ Creative Writing).

Can't remember my AS grades, they were that bad but honestly, AS grades don't account for much. I'm sure I got a U and an E. And still all five universities gave me offers. :eek:
    They know what they're doing, haha.
    I see well I hope that what happened to you will happen to me (apart from dropping law of course)

ReputationRep:
    I see well I hope that what happened to you will happen to me (apart from dropping law of course)
    Honestly, you'll be fine! If it makes you feel any better, feel free to message me regarding your personal statement. I'd be happy to help/edit anything.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, you'll be fine! If it makes you feel any better, feel free to message me regarding your personal statement. I'd be happy to help/edit anything.
    Thank you and if I need to then I will (you don't know what you just let out)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.