Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bsola)
    Huge difference b/w an MBA (with experience behind you) you & doing a 3yr extended Alevels ops I mean degree :rolleyes: in Business Mgt/Admin.
    Haha. Let's say I would prefer to employ someone who has understanding and exposure to someone with just promise. I happen to have a bit more knowledge and experience with both undergraduate management and MBA degrees. By the way, a lot of MBAs are people with little knowledge of business or management but who either wants to change careers or need to move out of functional roles to a generalist managerial role. Experience yes but relevant experience applies only to some candidates. So coming back to a marketing degree ... which also covers highly technical topics such as market research ... which one may be able to execute without much understanding but to formulate, design, and then conduct and analyse ... I would rather it done by someone who know or professionals, and even then only people with a good background would be able to critique the resulting reoprt. As I said there is marketing as done by those from the secretarial pool and graduates from other disciplines and there is marketing that requires those with more in depth knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GandalfWhite)
    Haha. Let's say I would prefer to employ someone who has understanding and exposure to someone with just promise. So coming back to a marketing degree ... which also covers highly technical topics such as market research ... which one may be able to execute without much understanding but to formulate, design, and then conduct and analyse ... I would rather it done by someone who know or professionals, and even then only people with a good background would be able to critique the resulting reoprt. As I said there is marketing as done by those from the secretarial pool and graduates from other disciplines and there is marketing that requires those with more in depth knowledge.
    My first job was with a FTSE 250 market research firm. This was straight out of college, contemplating uni, I left as assistant research manager before landing a job in advertising so I know very well about 'proper' marketing (quantitative research) and for that a degree in statistics would of greater use than marketing and you'll find that those who interpret the data are from a numerical background. But soft marketing (qualitative) a marketing degree will of course help but is my no means necessary, CIM will suffice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bsola)
    My first job was with a FTSE 250 market research firm. This was straight out of college, contemplating uni, I left as assistant research manager before landing a job in advertising so I know very well about 'proper' marketing (quantitative research) and for that a degree in statistics would of greater use than marketing and you'll find that those who interpret the data are from a numerical background. But soft marketing (qualitative) a marketing degree will of course help but is my no means necessary, CIM will suffice.
    Execution is like a nurse doing the injections and monitoring the patient. With more experience a nurse would also know that a doctor would dispense the same medications for same symptoms. Essentially a nurse or a paramedic may even be sble yo deal with 80% of GP cases. But that does not make thd nurse a doctor. And the doctor knows there's so much behind the simple stuff. So it is the same with management and marketing. The ordinary stuff is easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bsola)
    Huge difference b/w an MBA (with experience behind you) you & doing a 3yr extended Alevels ops I mean degree :rolleyes: in Business Mgt/Admin.
    So your saying i should avoid a marketing degree and do a CIM. What firm are you talking about, because i talked to a lot of people and they said you could even do a degree in anthropology and still have a job in marketing is that true :P I'm asking you because it seems you have experience in this area. Been looking for someone opinion who has experience in this profession

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GandalfWhite)
    History. More respected and gives you more options in case you change your mind to apply for other courses. Not uncommon for students to rethink their degree choices a year later when it is time to apply.
    That's what i thought thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I just came across this thread and I did a degree in Marketing and Human Resource Management and it was fantastic. The marketing element taught me about strategy and what drives consumer behaviour as well as developing a marketing model and whilst taking into consideration the domestic and international factors that may affect a marketing campaign or product distribution channel.

I absolutely loved it, but I think it dies depend on which university you go to and what you want to do career wise. I have always loved business and from the degree I did I was confident enough to start a business and work for myself. I enjoyed marketing my services and using all the knowledge I have learnt. I must also add that I went to university at 23 ( I am 28 now) and prior to that I worked as an Account manager for a marketing firm so I also had the work experience but I think the discipline you get from the degree is priceless so if you are considering it, I would definitely say it is not useless.
    It was the best decision I made

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CareerWoman1)
    Hiya,

I just came across this thread and I did a degree in Marketing and Human Resource Management and it was fantastic. The marketing element taught me about strategy and what drives consumer behaviour as well as developing a marketing model and whilst taking into consideration the domestic and international factors that may affect a marketing campaign or product distribution channel.

I absolutely loved it, but I think it dies depend on which university you go to and what you want to do career wise. I have always loved business and from the degree I did I was confident enough to start a business and work for myself. I enjoyed marketing my services and using all the knowledge I have learnt. I must also add that I went to university at 23 ( I am 28 now) and prior to that I worked as an Account manager for a marketing firm so I also had the work experience but I think the discipline you get from the degree is priceless so if you are considering it, I would definitely say it is not useless.
    I keep saying there's marketing and there's marketing.

Marketing at different levels may still be called marketing just as one csn play football at different levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CareerWoman1)
    Hiya,

Thanks for the great insight what degree did you do and from where so i get an idea of what your talking about thanks (if you don't mind me asking) It's that i need some counseling with a person who is working in the field.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.