Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Failed to get into medicine. Failed A Levels. Retaking. HELP!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to ask, is there any dental uni in the UK which will take on someone with Abbc (retaking the C) and predicted AAB, and gcses a*aaaaabbbb?

Or if not a dental uni, any 'prestigious' uni which offers medicine? I'm retaking some of my individual exams to bring everything up to As at least.

If the answer to both is 'no', is it advisable to take a gap year? Apparently unis don't like people who take gap years and it makes everything loads harder.

Thanks for your time and advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    OP, with those grades you'll struggle. Resitting and applying is certainly possible and I'm obviously a supporter as I did so. However, I had ABBC at A2 which already severely restricted my choices - most resitters tend to have AAB, having just missed out on one. With those grades it's really unlikely you'll get an offer as it's so far from the AAA needed. Grad med might be a better option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrchemistry)
    Just wanted to ask, is there any dental uni in the UK which will take on someone with Abbc (retaking the C) and predicted AAB, and gcses a*aaaaabbbb?

Or if not a dental uni, any 'prestigious' uni which offers medicine? I'm retaking some of my individual exams to bring everything up to As at least.

If the answer to both is 'no', is it advisable to take a gap year? Apparently unis don't like people who take gap years and it makes everything loads harder.

Thanks for your time and advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, you need to be predicted AAA.
    Also, Medicine is not a backup to dentistry and if you view it as such it's unlikely you'd get an offer, and even if you did,it's a lot of work and you need to be comitted to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joker12345)
    Yes, will be fine. Plenty of schools don't even look at AS. Do you have good GCSE's?
    They were ok
    3A* 4A 3B
    And i'm planning on resitting CH2 and BY2 to bring up my cumulative because I got A for my BY1/BY3/CH1/CH3
    And got really unwell after my dofe expedition during half term and ended up with me getting an E in CH2/BY2 and a E in SPAN1

ReputationRep:
    My advise would be to go for foundation med after sitting ur a2 levels as it gives a rough indication of what ur grades are. If ur choosing back up options, whatever u choose will leave u feeling a lot of pain. Biomed is the commonest route, however I know that no matter what uni u do biomed in, chances are ur gonna end up a research assistant or a teacher somewhere. Pharmacy is a better backup option as it teaches a lot more than biomed about clinical stuff but is only worth it if u end up in hospital pharmacy for prereg (community is a giant pain in the ass where everyone treats u like u work in a supermarket; hospital is way more clinical and u spend more time working on hospital wards helping the multidisciplinary team than dispensing). Physiotherapy is a good option in terms of learning stuff but emloyment is a bother. Nursing is a good course but the prereg is painful. Paramedic science is ok as it teaches the basics. I

I would also recommend doing shed loads of volunteer work.

ReputationRep:
    Can I interject here?

The honest truth is that with poor A level grades like this it will be very difficult to get into medical school. The truth is though that it might be very difficult to get into anything with those grades so a resit would be beneficial.

I would argue that trying to do medicine at this stage in your life may not be the best use of your time. You've had a shock and I sympathise greatly. You're also having to find a way to channel all the drive you have built up for years thinking about little else besides medical school. It will seem like walking away now is a huge let down to yourself.

I would suggest another way of looking at it. Right now, you're not particularly competitive. You've clearly not mastered the knack of productive, independent study that medical schools value in their candidates, or at least that's what your grades would suggest. However, in sure you have a great deal of experience that you've built up over the last two years in preparation. Use it.

Give serious consideration to doing something like nursing or maybe even something like diagnostic radiography. Your reasons for doing medicine would probably translate quite well into doing something like that. You'd need to resit a few modules to be competitive for that but not quite as many. You can still aim for medicine long term but you could be getting on with your life, gaining a profession and a livelihood and fulfilling your ambition to work with people and in a medical environment. This would make you a serious competitor for medicine at either graduate entry or undergraduate entry in the future. And if you do decide that it's not for you in the future, you've got a great career to start developing. Maybe even consider something like pharmacology as well.

It will be feel like giving up or wasting your time to do something other than medicine. It won't be though. Everyone needs to work and live and it is even better to find yourself a career you can enjoy and be proud of at the same time. That's a lot better than putting your life on hold in desperate pursuit of a single dream that may never come because you never developed your skills beyond the level they're at now.

Please don't do access to medicine either. They won't erase your poor A level grades.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    Grow up.

The OP asked a question and Revel gave an honest answer.

The fact of the matter is that the OP has probably blown their chances of getting accepted to study Medicine anywhere in this country. What is wrong with giving the OP that answer straight instead of blowing a load of smoke up their ass to try and make them feel better.

Sure we could tell the OP that it doesn't matter, that if they knuckle down and work hard they have a great chance of getting in, but what's the point? Why give somebody false hope if that's all it is, false.

However, just to avoid you feeling left out, I have something to give to you:
    Bit of a **** really aren't you. You seem to be overwhelmingly ignorant of the options available to OP, I suggest you read more about routes into medicine. Sorry you were incorrect.

ReputationRep:
    My flatmate in halls last year (and current housemate) flunked his A levels first time round. Took a couple years out and did an access to medicine course. So last September I had the pleasure of meeting him in the first year of his 5 year medical degree at Southampton.

Look into the access option OP. The purists will be hellbent on telling you it's not a viable route but it's becoming more and more common.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's true with regard to access to medicine after a few years out but not as a route for people who have failed or done poorly on their A levels the first time around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giella)
    That's true with regard to access to medicine after a few years out but not as a route for people who have failed or done poorly on their A levels the first time around.
    (Original post by Simonion)
    My flatmate in halls last year (and current housemate) flunked his A levels first time round.
    If I recall from a conversation we had regarding our routes into university as mature students, the failed A levels were science based and declared to Southampton (and also Brighton, where he was also offered a place).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If I recall from a conversation we had regarding our routes into university as mature students, the failed A levels were science based and declared to Southampton (and also Brighton, where he was also offered a place).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Allow me to clarify. After a few years of working life this is an option. Jumping straight into an access course after doing badly in A levels, however, is not an option. Most access courses wouldn't even accept a student in these circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    Allow me to clarify. After a few years of working life this is an option. Jumping straight into an access course after doing badly in A levels, however, is not an option. Most access courses wouldn't even accept a student in these circumstances.
    The vast majority of those on my access course had failed their A levels the previous year. I was an exception as someone who had been out of education for a number of years!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The vast majority of those on my access course had failed their A levels the previous year. I was an exception as someone who had been out of education for a number of years!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The college of west Anglia, which is considered the gold standard in access courses do not accept students who have completed A levels in the last 2 years.

OP please be wary of throwing yourself down this route. Your individual circumstances are what count. I've seen people obsess about medicine and try for years to get into it, putting their lives on permanent hiatus. I've seen unscrupulous access courses take anyone because their courses are a cash cow to desperate people. Access to medicine is designed for people who have achieved highly in other areas and want to bring themselves up to speed academically for the course. Medical schools generally recognise this and are able to differentiate between people who are of this type and people who are just wanting to try and cover up a poor performance at A level without doing anything else to advance their application profile.

Just live your life and get started with a career. Make the most of what you have and excel at that.

ReputationRep:
    The college of west Anglia, which is considered the gold standard in access courses do not accept students who have completed A levels in the last 2 years.

OP please be wary of throwing yourself down this route. Your individual circumstances are what count. I've seen people obsess about medicine and try for years to get into it, putting their lives on permanent hiatus. I've seen unscrupulous access courses take anyone because their courses are a cash cow to desperate people. Access to medicine is designed for people who have achieved highly in other areas and want to bring themselves up to speed academically for the course. Medical schools generally recognise this and are able to differentiate between people who are of this type and people who are just wanting to try and cover up a poor performance at A level without doing anything else to advance their application profile.

Just live your life and get started with a career. Make the most of what you have and excel at that.
    I agree in general with the sentiment of that advice. Access courses should certainly not be for those who lack the academic discipline to achieve at A level and are looking for an easy way into prestigious courses and universities.

From the tone of the OP, this doesn't seem to be applicable to this situation. My advice to you OP would be to do as others have said and consider the other options available to you carefully. However, don't make the mistake in thinking that your ambition of studying medicine is over. Consider whether it is right for you to continue pursuing that ambition and spend a year or two gaining relevant work experience. If you then feel ready for another crack at it, look into enrolment on an access course.

What a crime it would have been for my housemate Nick to not be offered a second chance at studying medicine. It's already obvious that he's tremendously knowledgeable about the subject and is gonna make a great doctor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeicesterStudent)
    Bit of a **** really aren't you. You seem to be overwhelmingly ignorant of the options available to OP, I suggest you read more about routes into medicine. Sorry you were incorrect.
    What routes do you think are open to the OP? It doesn't sound like you know very much about it either.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.