Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephenNaulls)
    What's different about the Chemistry we use in the medical degree? I start my course in October so I'm intrigued to know what kind of things were left out of the A-Level
    It's non-existent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose256)
    Do biomed and apply for GEM course! I have to warn you though you need to work very hard!!! I'm applying for GEM (2016 entry) and I've already started my work experience (working as a carer) at the moment I'm hoping to apply for a HCA job after six months. On top of that I'm aiming for a first and preparation for the GAMSAT has also already begun! Work work hard!!! I Need to WANT this, if not you will really struggle!!!

Don't worry about your A2 grades I got C and D in biology and chemistry respectively at A levels but really the degree is a change. I ended up getting a firsts in Cell Biology, Human Anatomy and pyhsiology and Biochemistry (these are all science based modules btw). So to sim up you really have to want this! 2. Work hard starting from Day 1! And want it some more. I keep saying this coz that's how I get motivated.
    I'm at Westminster uni too 😁😁
    Thankyou soo much! Its really relieving to meet someone in the similar situation as me! I really have to motivate myself like you are! I see, ohh and well done getting a first! wow, i see how much i have to do now. I will definately try my best just like you are!
    Thankyou so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theresheglows)
    If you want to get into a GEP the most important thing will be how well you do in your first degree. Have a really good look at the teaching, course design, facilities and student satisfaction ratings & percentage of firsts to decide if you need to resit to get into a course at a different uni. Also consider that the more you like the course the more likely you are to do better on it, and different unis can have very different courses for a degree in a subject with the same name; choose one that interests you. Also, don't underestimate the impact that atmosphere can have on your ability to do well at uni, if the place is unfriendly and you are miserable your grades will reflect that.
    All of these things can be more important to your success than the position of the uni on a league table, but that's not to say that some unis aren't ahead of others because they deserve to be.

Doing medicine as a graduate can be a slog and you will have to prepare yourself for the possibility of repeat applications (two of my friends got in on their 2nd and 3rd tries, one with a 1st class in bio, one with 2.1 in english). It can be done if you are driven enough!

Also, have you considered doing a degree like radiography? It is 3 years, and probably good prep for medicine (although I would check with unis if its ok) - some GEPs aren't fussy about subject anyway (e.g. nottingham) - and if you still don't get into medicine, it is a good career with a similar job to some doctors anyway. Just food for thought
    I see, I'm gonna call westminister and other universities to see if i can pull out a bit more information about GEM, and the courses GEM accept. I never thought of radiography for GEM, so i shall definitely consider it now! Thankyou soo much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    It's non-existent.
    Ahhh.. okay

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.