Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

school not letting me get my result on results day Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pectorac)
    I agree; this is like what I said above
    It was a very good post! I hope he understands

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by overthelove)
    Fair enough. I can understand his frustrations but at the same time - what if he was in year 11, didn't get good enough grades to go to a sixth form and a teacher was fussing over a year 10?
    Well the teachers shouldn't be fussing over them, they should simply be allowed to collect their results and made aware that they will be unable to discuss them on that day. The same as AS v A2 - everyone gets results but teachers focus on A2 students.

ReputationRep:
    so there is no other way to get a result without your school ?

ReputationRep:
    It was a very good post! I hope he understands
    i understand but its not that i will be fussing over my result i really just want to know my grade our teachers already explained we can't retake it so if i do bad so be it , i just want to know my grade and i will be on my way. I don't even care for a print out i just want to know the grade

ReputationRep:
    You could:

Go in anyway
    Look online
    Email your science teacher
    Phone up school

Can't be hard for them to sort out, for my year 10 results all the year 11s came in earlier to collect and then the year 10s came later

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joker12345)
    Well the teachers shouldn't be fussing over them, they should simply be allowed to collect their results and made aware that they will be unable to discuss them on that day. The same as AS v A2 - everyone gets results but teachers focus on A2 students.
    are they allowed to give results over the phone ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Humzaawan123)
    i need at least a c in core and additional science to do science A-levels at sixth form so don't say that it doesn't affect anything , it does it is an actual gcse that i will be unable to retake so it is just as important if not more important that the results of my other subjects that i will get in year 11 because i want to do sciences at A-level.
    You can always resit in year 11; there is no reason why you can't retake it. Maybe the school has said you can't to scare people into working harder at the time, but when it comes down to it, they always let you.

To be honest, if you are worried about not getting a C grade in GCSE science, you are not going to cope with A-level science and you should not take them. Even if you get C, you are not going to do well in advanced level science; most schools require a B grade in GCSE to take science to A-level, and even then it's a struggle for those students.

ReputationRep:
    When I was in year 10 I had to wait until September to get my maths result back. It's not that big a deal, I'm sure you don't need to know the result on August 21st. Surely you can wait an extra two weeks?

ReputationRep:
    so there is no other way to get a result without your school ?
    If you insist on obtaining your results on August 22nd, and by chance know what time year 11's will be collecting theirs, why don't you phone your school up a couple hours later and ask to come in for them? But seriously, they'll probably send them in the post and you'll get them the day after. What's so bad about that?

ReputationRep:
    No they are not, legally. You could be anyone on the phone and they are not allowed to discuss private information about yourself or anyone else on the phone. Even though you say you are yourself, technically and legally you might not be and you are trying to gain information about someone else.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's right of the school. Don't you think they have enough work to do with the 180+ year 11s getting their results, a lot of whom will need to adjust their A-level choices, ask for remarks and resits, potentially not have gotten into sixth form or college and have to find somewhere else, etc? The most appropriate thing to do would be to make an announcement on the school website explaining this, and tell the year 10s not to worry because they can resit in year 11.

Even if they say they can't discuss the results but still give them out, there will be hoards of immature 15 year old year 10 students who can't take this for an answer, who will be chasing teachers to ask about what they should do if they haven't got the grades they were expecting, and this is the last thing the school needs. There will be enough going on with the year 11s at school, without year 10s hanging around, hunting down teachers and potentially getting parents involved on a day which is meant to be about the year 11s and sorting out their futures.
    It's not the right of the school to withold the results of students on the day which they are released. These are not internal exams, these are board exams. Some boards have options to release the results online, whereby students are given a number to access these - if it's too much work for them they should use these. No, I don't think they've got enough to do with year 11s because all they'd need to do is print out another set of results for year 10's. Perhaps you weren't that fussed about your exams but for a lot of students 'dont worry you can resit' isn't gonna cut it.
    How many GCSE's will year 10's even have sat that can add to this that much? Likely very few. Teachers manage to deal with AS and A2 results together so should be able to do year 11 and 10. If they are chasing down teachers they should calmly explain that they are busy, and obviously put an announcement up before stating this.
    The day is not 'meant to be about the year 11s and sorting out their futures', it is a results day for anybody who has sat GCSE's to find out their result.

ReputationRep:
    Some do but it's very unlikely they would. I'd advise just going in when the year 11s go (or perhaps 30 mins later.)

ReputationRep:
    If you insist on obtaining your results on August 22nd, and by chance know what time year 11's will be collecting theirs, why don't you phone your school up a couple hours later and ask to come in for them? But seriously, they'll probably send them in the post and you'll get them the day after. What's so bad about that?
    Nah he's already said they wouldn't get them till September.

ReputationRep:
    If you insist on obtaining your results on August 22nd, and by chance know what time year 11's will be collecting theirs, why don't you phone your school up a couple hours later and ask for them? But seriously, they'll probably send them in the post and you'll get them the day after. What's so bad about that?
    nothing , that would be the best thing ever ,but my school is not posting it...i asked and they said no and the thing that is annoying me is that they are not doing any retakes because of reforms they no longer count towards performance tables.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the right of the school to withold the results of students on the day which they are released. These are not internal exams, these are board exams. Some boards have options to release the results online, whereby students are given a number to access these - if it's too much work for them they should use these. No, I don't think they've got enough to do with year 11s because all they'd need to do is print out another set of results for year 10's. Perhaps you weren't that fussed about your exams but for a lot of students 'dont worry you can resit' isn't gonna cut it.
    How many GCSE's will year 10's even have sat that can add to this that much? Likely very few. Teachers manage to deal with AS and A2 results together so should be able to do year 11 and 10. If they are chasing down teachers they should calmly explain that they are busy, and obviously put an announcement up before stating this.
    The day is not 'meant to be about the year 11s and sorting out their futures', it is a results day for anybody who has sat GCSE's to find out their result.
    In an ideal world where everything is lovely and rosey, of course it's meant to be a day where everyone who has taken GCSEs finds out their results. Unfortunately, this is not how it works in the real world.

Why don't you as a teacher try to calmly explain you are busy to 50+ intent year 10 students, taking phone calls from parents of year 10 students about their results, while sorting out groups of students who didn't make the GCSE grades needed for their courses, dealing with those people's parents, dealing with emotional lows of these students, dealing with calling up colleges asking them to take their students anyway despite not getting the grades, advising students who have done well on what do and if they should change any of their courses, dealing with remark and resit requests, dealing with floods of tears from year 11s, etc?

The science exams are 3 units and an ISA in year 10, so 4 ratified exam results for every year 10 is a big timing issue which realistically cannot be dealt with at the same time as the year 11 results. A biology, chemistry and physics result and a practical experiment result for each student, who will want to discuss 1 to 4 of these results with a teacher is just too much on a day which is overloaded as it is with the year 11s.

ReputationRep:
    thank you ... and just to add my school isn't doing resits

ReputationRep:
    nothing , that would be the best thing ever ,but my school is not posting it...i asked and they said no and the thing that is annoying me is that they are not doing any retakes because of reforms they no longer count towards performance tables.
    Well then this has kind of been pointless, hasn't it? If there's no way for you to get your results before September, the only thing you can do and the most logical thing would be to wait. Yes it's frustrating and yes it's unfair but the words of your teachers will override yours on the matter I'm afraid. Good luck with your results - despite your incessant worrying I'm sure you'll do well.

ReputationRep:
    In an ideal world where everything is lovely and rosey, of course it's meant to be a day where everyone who has taken GCSEs finds out their results. Unfortunately, this is not how it works in the real world.

Why don't you as a teacher try to calmly explain you are busy to 50+ intent year 10 students, taking phone calls from parents of year 10 students about their results, while sorting out groups of students who didn't make the GCSE grades needed for their courses, dealing with those people's parents, dealing with emotional lows of these students, dealing with calling up colleges asking them to take their students anyway despite not getting the grades, advising students who have done well on what do and if they should change any of their courses, dealing with remark and resit requests, dealing with floods of tears from year 11s, etc?

The science exams are 3 units and an ISA in year 10, so 4 ratified exam results for every year 10 is a big timing issue which realistically cannot be dealt with at the same time as the year 11 results. A biology, chemistry and physics result and a practical experiment result for each student, who will want to discuss 1 to 4 of these results with a teacher is just too much on a day which is overloaded as it is with the year 11s.
    Exactly! People seem to forget that results day is hard on teachers too and a very stressful time.

ReputationRep:
    Well then this has kind of been pointless, hasn't it? If there's no way for you to get your results before September, the only thing you can do and the most logical thing would be to wait. Yes it's frustrating and yes it's unfair but the words of your teachers will override yours on the matter I'm afraid. Good luck with your results - despite your incessant worrying I'm sure you'll do well.
    thanks , and i thought there may have been a way to get my results without coming in ... which is why i asked , can't blame a guy for asking a question.

ReputationRep:
    In an ideal world where everything is lovely an rosey, of course it's meant to be a day where everyone who has taken GCSEs finds out their results. Unfortunately, this is not how it works in the real world.

The science exams are 3 units and an ISA in year 10, so 4 ratified exam results for all of year 10 is a big issue which realistically cannot be dealt with at the same time as the year 11 results. A biology, chemistry and physics result and a practical experiment result for each student, who will want to discuss one to four of these results with a teacher is just too much on a day which is overloaded as it is with the year 11s.
    Let me ask again, if it's impossible how do teachers manage to release AS and A2 results together, and cope with all the students? IMO, a sensible thing to do would be release them in a staggered manner, say the year 11s at 9am and then year 10's at 1pm, giving everything time to die down etc. I have been at enough results days and the crazy rush tends to be over within an hour, after that everyone's done disucssing and goes home to think etc.
    Not every student likes to discuss with teachers, those that do well aren't fussed and of those who do badly some won't want to face the teachers. Students aren't stupid and will be willing to listen if they are told that teachers have to deal with year 11s first, just like AS students understand A2 takes priority. I have seen plenty of schools, knowing friends and family etc and have never come across one witholding results. The worst I've seen is staggered release, ie people finding out later in the day which is perceived as annoying enough.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.