Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What language do you think in? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mochassassin)
    Yeah, I'd say I think in my stronger language which is English.
    Have you ever thought in Bengali then, for a long period of time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by godd)
    Have you ever thought in Bengali then, for a long period of time?
    Not reaaally...do you mean just sitting and thinking for a period of time about anything? Probably once or twice but primarily, it's English. Which probably explains why my Bengali is getting worse with each passing day. :ashamed2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mochassassin)
    Not reaaally...do you mean just sitting and thinking for a period of time about anything? Probably once or twice but primarily, it's English. Which probably explains why my Bengali is getting worse with each passing day. :ashamed2:

I don't get when people tell me they switch thinking languages throughout the day. It doesn't make sense, why would you think in a language you are weaker in. The brain is trying to do everything as efficiently as possible, so it makes sense to only think in the language you are best at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by godd)
    I don't get when people tell me they switch thinking languages throughout the day. It doesn't make sense, why would you think in a language you are weaker in. The brain is trying to do everything as efficiently as possible, so it makes sense to only think in the language you are best at.
    I'm not too sure. I can't account for every single thought I'd ever had and every single conversation either. But I guess the circumstance can affect it. Like I said before, I think in English even when I'm speaking Bengali.
    But there are times when I struggle trying to explain something in Bengali to my relatives, which requires me to think in Bengali so I suppose I switch my thinking like that. Did that last bit make sense?

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

ReputationRep:
    English, but when I was preparing for my Spanish speaking assessment, I did find myself thinking certain things in Spanish :O

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Scots.

Some people class it as a language and others as a dialect. Whatever people class it as, I think and speak in that as opposed to just proper English.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin25)
    Scots.

Some people class it as a language and others as a dialect. Whatever people class it as, I think and speak in that as opposed to just proper English.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What was the medium of instruction in your school?

ReputationRep:
    English, just English. I'm boring and don't have any cool stories about how I speak 10 languages, read 5 more and have family all over the world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madeline_H95)
    English, just English. I'm boring and don't have any cool stories about how I speak 10 languages, read 5 more and have family all over the world
    Awwwww
    Do you learn a language at GCSE/ A Level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by godd)
    Awwwww
    Do you learn a language at GCSE/ A Level?
    I did French at GCSE but ended up with a D. I was all A*'s and then that one D It's safe to say languages are not my forte. Do you speak a language?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madeline_H95)
    I did French at GCSE but ended up with a D. I was all A*'s and then that one D It's safe to say languages are not my forte. Do you speak a language?
    I love your name btw.

Now back to point....

Yh I speak 2 languages, but one of them I don't know as fluently as I should. So I'm a like 1.5 lingual. I usually just think in english, as its my stronger language by a mile...but it got me thinking what truly bilingual people think in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by godd)
    I love your name btw.

Now back to point....

Yh I speak 2 languages, but one of them I don't know as fluently as I should. So I'm a like 1.5 lingual. I usually just think in english, as its my stronger language by a mile...but it got me thinking what truly bilingual people think in.
    Thanks I like my name too. I was going to be called Anjelica if my dad had his way.

Speaing 1.5 is always better than 1.0 I have a Spanish-English friend and she says she switches and sometimes ends up thinking in both simultaneously.

ReputationRep:
    English primarily. Occasionally, it shifts to Vietnamese and rarely does it shift to Cantonese

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philzy)
    English primarily. Occasionally, it shifts to Vietnamese and rarely does it shift to Cantonese
    Why and when does it shift to vietnamese?

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    bump

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.