Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is anyone having a hard time liking modern music? watch

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the artist. I'm loving Iggy's stuff.

(Original post by AlevelsLPU)
    Hmmmm its seems your right, thanks for the albums i listened to The War on Drugs awesome album Casualties of cool are pretty cool as well, still have to give lana del rey a try
    If you try Lana Del Rey listen to Born To Die first. I personally think Ultraviolence is awful compared to it. I find UV so boring and slow. Born to Die however is a masterpiece.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strawberry68)
    It depends on the artist. I'm loving Iggy's stuff.If you try Lana Del Rey listen to Born To Die first. I personally think Ultraviolence is awful compared to it. I find UV so boring and slow. Born to Die however is a masterpiece.
    I know right, I haven't heard born to die but ultra-violence is so awful slow and boring no clue why it's so popular :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Your issue is with chart music not modern music.
    All that needed to be said. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Most dance music hasnt really 'improved' in 20 years.

ReputationRep:
    When ever I look at the billboard 100 or trend setters charts they are filled with songs i could never listen to. What albums are you excited for in the future, i like rock so right now I loved albums like LazerReto by Jack White and The Hunting Party by Linkin Park. However songs like Fancy by Iggy somethin I can't stand them. The only popular song I liked in 2014 is Happy by Pharel Williams. What about you guys :P what songs did you like this year so far.
    Oh my gosh. I feel the same. I love linkin' park and I know this is an old song but my favourite song from them is Numb and I love Tokio Hotel. Their song Monsoon is the best. I've realise I don't know much about modern day music but old music like the motown days with Jackson 5, Marvin Gaye and the temptations are the type if songs I listen too and a bit of jazz on the side and a lot if gospel =AMAZING

ReputationRep:
    When ever I look at the billboard 100 or trend setters charts they are filled with songs i could never listen to. What albums are you excited for in the future, i like rock so right now I loved albums like LazerReto by Jack White and The Hunting Party by Linkin Park. However songs like Fancy by Iggy somethin I can't stand them. The only popular song I liked in 2014 is Happy by Pharel Williams. What about you guys :P what songs did you like this year so far.
    Oh my gosh. I feel the same. I love linkin' park and I know this is an old song but my favourite song from them is Numb and I love Tokio Hotel. Their song Monsoon is the best. I've realise I don't know much about modern day music but old music like the motown days with Jackson 5, Marvin Gaye and the temptations are the type if songs I listen too and a bit of jazz on the side and a lot if gospel =AMAZING

ReputationRep:
    I just find it lacking punch. Where's the guts, innovation and the exciting build-up intros. It's too predictable these days. Where's the bohemian attitude and the raunch?

ReputationRep:
    I don't dislike modern music, but I do dislike what's usually in the charts.

There's a lot of modern music out there that's not just bassy pop music or average acoustic.

Ludovico Einaudi is a modern pianist and composer for example and he makes up about 1/3 of my work/revision playlist.

I currently like a lot of cover music, because it takes that naff 'top 50' music and adds niche perspectives, and often improved or more relaxed vocals, depending on the genre. 'Rolling in the Deep' by 'Straight No Chaser' just came on my chill playlist. It's got the same catchy tune, but the vocals and instrumental backing are more relaxed.

Plenty of modern electro swing too, which for me makes a far better night out than bass remixes of the top 50 in some cramped nightclub.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiddleUnderclass)
    Most dance music hasnt really 'improved' in 20 years.
    Hahaha that's so true XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marco1)
    I just find it lacking punch. Where's the guts, innovation and the exciting build-up intros. It's too predictable these days. Where's the bohemian attitude and the raunch?

exactly man, barely anyone does anything different now a days rap music all sound the same, same thing goes for most pop songs. The band which i really hated this year was imagine dragons ughh... i respect and like lorde but how is she charting on rock charts it aint rock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    All that needed to be said. :yep:
    Lol i guess XD

ReputationRep:
    exactly man, barely anyone does anything different now a days rap music all sound the same, same thing goes for most pop songs. The band which i really hated this year was imagine dragons ughh... i respect and like lorde but how is she charting on rock charts it aint rock.
    I like and respect Lorde too. She does her own unique thing. She seems in touch with who she is. I quite like Palma Violets https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjit0AuZNiE and for me The 1975 are probably the best new band of the last year or two. I failed to see what all the fuss was about Bastille. I don't think their music could pull the skin off a rice pudding, let alone get me going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marco1)
    I like and respect Lorde too. She does her own unique thing. She seems in touch with who she is. I quite like Palma Violets https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjit0AuZNiE and for me The 1975 are probably the best new band of the last year or two. I failed to see what all the fuss was about Bastille. I don't think their music could pull the skin off a rice pudding, let alone get me going.
    Havent heard of the 1975 and palma violeta but yeah bastille and imagine dragons are just a predictable ear ache. Lorde is actually a really good artists only new artsits to do something different along bands who mix things up with their music thats why i like linkin park and radiohead. I heard radiohead start recording next month really excited ill check the bands you talked about

ReputationRep:
    Your prog-rock is in another castle:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a huge fan of chart music either, most of it just seems fake, more like computers making noises to me.

I'm excited to hear Ben Howard's new album, he will have to do pretty well to beat Every Kingdom!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I get what you mean I could quite happily listen to music I've had on my ipod since the age of 16 lol a very small handful of songs that are in the charts are good I dont mind them like ed sheeran- sing or one republic - love runs out and counting stars etc.
    My sister annoys the hell out of me when she plays her music in my car I sit there thinkin who the **** is this?? And its not from the charts so everytime she gets in the car I always say put decent songs that I know on lol :-)
    One album I am defo lookin forward to is the new Maroon 5 album "V" which is out on the 2nd of september. Their 5th album hence "V" lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Havent heard of the 1975 and palma violeta but yeah bastille and imagine dragons are just a predictable ear ache. Lorde is actually a really good artists only new artsits to do something different along bands who mix things up with their music thats why i like linkin park and radiohead. I heard radiohead start recording next month really excited ill check the bands you talked about
    The 1975 are worth a look. You might like them. Very accessible music too. e.g.

ReputationRep:
    Believe it or not, there is some good modern music out there. But I've been listening to a lot of older music (particularly 90s) lately

ReputationRep:
    Lol so what do you think of 90's music? ;-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ndella)
    Believe it or not, there is some good modern music out there. But I've been listening to a lot of older music (particularly 90s) lately
    I know there is good music out there but very few people listen to them also there it aint a lot of good music you there as say 14 years ago. What 90's music you listening to :P

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 31, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.