Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muj121)
    So you're doing 120 credits? Are you doing maths or maths and stats?
    Sorry I took so long to reply, didn't notice your message.

Yes, I'm doing 120 credits, at least this year. Doing Maths, but one of my compulsory Level 1 modules is Introducing Statistics (M140).

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting MST124 and S207 in October. I'm doing the OpenPlus Physics programme.

ReputationRep:
    Signed up today. I'm a bit apprehensive. Been a while (>25 years) since I was at college.
    Originally an electronics engineer, I later moved into sw development. Now it's time to get a formal maths qualification and see if it enhances my cv.

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting MST124, on my Computer Science degree. I'm quite excited to be honest, I have some AS Mathematics experience under my belt.

Good luck to all of you!

ReputationRep:
    Got my log-in details today. Got the PDFs of the first 2 units. Feeling less apprehensive now. Still need to be careful to not assume I know the material.

(Original post by muj121)
    Anyone starting MST124 this October?
    Yes as well as MST125 in the New Year for my business degree :eek: got my materials today :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Hi, how did you find the step up from gcse? Did you feel as if you had any gaps in your knowledge? I have done gcse and done some level 4 maths for an apprenticeship. Do you think this would be sufficient to start mst124?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hawkes1994)
    Hi, how did you find the step up from gcse? Did you feel as if you had any gaps in your knowledge? I have done gcse and done some level 4 maths for an apprenticeship. Do you think this would be sufficient to start mst124?
    GCSE is enough, yes. I've been through the first 4 units and I'd say around half of it was GCSE and the other half AS. Looking at some of the further units, it will take you slightly beyond A Level. I think you could start it fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BestProfileName)
    GCSE is enough, yes. I've been through the first 4 units and I'd say around half of it was GCSE and the other half AS. Looking at some of the further units, it will take you slightly beyond A Level. I think you could start it fine.
    Thanks a lot. Good to hear your experience.

ReputationRep:
    I'm waiting the result of the exam for the S01 certificate; I did it 3 times facing a lot of problems because I'm not a native speaker and the examination required very strong skills in written academic English, answering to a series of questions with a well structured business report framework.
    Now, first of all due to my strong interest in mathematics, instead to go ahead with the MBA, I would start studying for the BSc in Mathematics and Statistics, hoping that, at least for the MST124 and MST125 the universal language of maths be more important than be a good writter, but it seems hard, or impossible, find information about the format of MST124 and MST125 examinations.
    Is there someone who know them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marco1970)
    I'm waiting the result of the exam for the S01 certificate; I did it 3 times facing a lot of problems because I'm not a native speaker and the examination required very strong skills in written academic English, answering to a series of questions with a well structured business report framework.
    Now, first of all due to my strong interest in mathematics, instead to go ahead with the MBA, I would start studying for the BSc in Mathematics and Statistics, hoping that, at least for the MST124 and MST125 the universal language of maths be more important than be a good writter, but it seems hard, or impossible, find information about the format of MST124 and MST125 examinations.
    Is there someone who know them?
    I am currently doing both modules. What exactly do you want to know about the format of the examinations?

For both modules, you get 4 iCMAs and 4 TMAs throughout the year. Then there is a final examination in June at your nearest exam centre. And you're right, they are all about maths and require very little use of the English language - you won't have to do very many explanations. And the explanations that you do have to include (they award marks for "good communication") - there are examples given in the books that you can learn off by heart and use every time you need.

ReputationRep:
    Hello all...... I'm looking at doing the Maths/Physics OU degree. I haven't done any study for a long time though and wondered just how tough it is to jump in to it without doing an access course/MU123 etc? Any help/info would be much appreciated! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BuddingPhysicist)
    Hello all...... I'm looking at doing the Maths/Physics OU degree. I haven't done any study for a long time though and wondered just how tough it is to jump in to it without doing an access course/MU123 etc? Any help/info would be much appreciated! Thanks
    Hey there! You should check out this thread, since I've just recently outlined anything you could possibly want to know about the first year of the Mathematics degree in it.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3644991

ReputationRep:
    anyone starting this feb? doing mst124 and m140

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hn123)
    anyone starting this feb? doing mst124 and m140
    MST124 and T174 are starting for me in Feb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londonsean69)
    MST124 and T174 are starting for me in Feb.
    ah high five, but for me its MST124 and M140.

ReputationRep:
    Hello mate,
    Im looking to start this in Oct. i want to do an Eng degree and think I need Math to make life easier later on. My worry is, I havnt done Math really for 17 years and only managed a D at GCSE. Whilst I am older now and more self motivated would MST124 be beyond learning for me. I think I have more of a mental block with numbers as apposed to the ability to learn.

ReputationRep:
    I found parts of MST124 pretty tough, particularly the integration by parts.

You need a good grasp of algebra, and manipulation of equations. This is needed not just for itself, but because you will do a lot of manipulation during calculus.

There is, on the OU website, a PDF called "Are you ready for MST124?" - http://www9.open.ac.uk/mathsforengineering/mst124

If you want an easier pathway, then M04 (the integrated MEng I am doing) actually has 2 options - MU123 & MST124, or MST124 & MST125.
    I took the harder one as I did do maths at HNC level, although it was well over a decade ago. It does come back to you, but I was very rusty.

With all due respect, MST124 might be too tough, considering the low GCSE pass and the time elapsed. MU123 might be a batter choice.

There is a student I have been to tutorials with for MST124 who also did MU123, and she says it really helped with getting the basics properly nailed.

ReputationRep:
    I took the October '14 presentation of this module. I didn't go to school in the UK, but I took algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and statistics in secondary school on the academic path. I was always told I didn't have the mind for maths, and I was pushed more towards writing and the humanities. I always loved science though.So when I started my science degree, I was nervous about maths. I did a lot of Khan academy leading up to the start of my modules to refresh what I knew and learn a few things I didn't. Do this. Ignore any inner critic about how crap you are at maths or how Sal is annoying.

Just do the work, and it will help you with your degree.Also, once you have access to the library online, you can use the HELM workbooks. You might have access now if you're registered.

The module itself is probably going to be a challenge because it tries to get you up to basic university level maths. Don't let the challenge put you off. It is presented well, and the tutorial clips are extremely helpful. Also, if you have a tutor who does in person tutorials, ask permission early on to sit in on one or two other tutor's online tutorials. Try to stay a week or two ahead if possible, and write out your TMAs (it will help with the exam).Good luck, and I am sure you will do fine. Remember, it starts out really basic, and by the end you will know the fundamentals of calculus, which in itself is a great achievement.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I will look into that. I couldnt match MU123 with what I was looking at. Really appreciate your feedback.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.