Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    History. It's much more respected, and, if you're taking all science subjects alongside it, it will demonstrate to universities that you are also capable of writing coherently and argumentatively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charloootte2)
    History and Psychology are both good subjects. History is well regarded it is difficult and there is a fair bit of work but it is very interesting. There is a lot of essay writing in History. But History has course work
    Psychology the first year you don't have essay writing. You have 1 mark to 12 mark questions. The first year is more learning experiments. Whereas the second year you have essay writing. You also have to include debates between nature and nurture theories. You also have a module in research method and basic statistic ( I personally found this really hard). Psychology is interesting though. It does get harder in the second year through personal experience.

Psychology modules were: Conformity, memory, attachment, stress and abnormality. A2 modules: eating behaviour, schizophrenia, relationships, aggression, research methods,
    Thanks I guess I'll drop it at the end of AS if its too much for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qewrtyu)
    How did you find it?
    A lot of information to revise- i did not expect so much. However, the content is easy/ok to understand, it just takes a lot of time memorising the information and writing such essays in the time given.
    If you have a good memory you should be ok.

ReputationRep:
    Russell group uni, something sciency
    how did you find history?
    I haven't done it at AS yet but it's my passion! I'd say Psychology for your degree choice but History is more widely respected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Procrastinate)
    A lot of information to revise- i did not expect so much. However, the content is easy/ok to understand, it just takes a lot of time memorising the information and writing such essays in the time given.
    If you have a good memory you should be ok.
    hmm well I guess both subjects are essay based and have a lot of content

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayJay-C19)
    I haven't done it at AS yet but it's my passion! I'd say Psychology for your degree choice but History is more widely respected.
    hmm so is psychology still considered a soft subject? not sure if a psychology degree would take me anywhere

ReputationRep:
    hmm so is psychology still considered a soft subject? not sure if a psychology degree would take me anywhere
    What would you do if not Psych? Psychology is a soft option. Places like Cambridge would rather Biology for Psychology than actually doing Psych'.

ReputationRep:
    What would you do if not Psych? Psychology is a soft option. Places like Cambridge would rather Biology for Psychology than actually doing Psych'.
    dunno exactly, maybe biochemistry or genetics or something like that. psychology does sound really interesting though and I'm not sure my history gcse went that great :/

ReputationRep:
    actually there's a high chance I'll end up doing IB but my other choices are bio, chem and maths
    Ah same as me! Well if you do end up doing a-levels I would take history as it is well respected and provides a good contrast to your other subjects which shows unis that you are versatile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanjy98)
    Ah same as me! Well if you do end up doing a-levels I would take history as it is well respected and provides a good contrast to your other subjects which shows unis that you are versatile
    For me its more that my current school only does IB and I don't know if I'll get in to another sixth form
    That's true. Decision time in 4 days time D:

ReputationRep:
    dunno exactly, maybe biochemistry or genetics or something like that. psychology does sound really interesting though and I'm not sure my history gcse went that great :/
    Then go for Psych! Keep Maths. What else are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    Then go for Psych! Keep Maths. What else are you doing?
    bio and chem I think... so bad at decision making

ReputationRep:
    bio, chem, maths
    something sciency :/
    a london uni I guess but not sure yet
    Russell group universities would probably prefer history but if you plan on doing something sciency then psych may be a good choice though it doesn't always feel like a science.

Pros for History
    - its considered a good subject and one that schools could get judged on
    - it will show your not a one trick pony and can do something other than science
    - It will break up the sciences you are studying to give a bit of variety to your day
    - Keeps your options open for university courses

Pros for Psychology
    - Its a new subject (as in you probably wouldn't have studied it before)
    - It is really interesting as you learn about behaviour and why people do things, look into the past and what triggers certain behaviours etc.
    - It is considered a science
    - It is also not an 'easy' subject

Cons for Psychology
    - There is a lot of content and a lot to memorise
    - You need to be good at writing essays and then memorising those essays

Cons for History
    PLEASE CAN SOMEONE FILL THIS IN AS IVE NEVER STUDIED HISTORY

Both are good choices. There is no reason why you cant do both at AS and drop 1 or even 2 subjects at A2 as I would still recommend going through with only 3 A levels and focus on getting food grades in those.

ReputationRep:
    Did both
    Loved both
    Got A* in History, A in Psychology
    History is more complex writing, both require remembering A LOT
    I would do both and drop a different Alevel!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsGirl)
    Russell group universities would probably prefer history but if you plan on doing something sciency then psych may be a good choice though it doesn't always feel like a science.

Pros for History
    - its considered a good subject and one that schools could get judged on
    - it will show your not a one trick pony and can do something other than science
    - It will break up the sciences you are studying to give a bit of variety to your day
    - Keeps your options open for university courses

Pros for Psychology
    - Its a new subject (as in you probably wouldn't have studied it before)
    - It is really interesting as you learn about behaviour and why people do things, look into the past and what triggers certain behaviours etc.
    - It is considered a science
    - It is also not an 'easy' subject

Cons for Psychology
    - There is a lot of content and a lot to memorise
    - You need to be good at writing essays and then memorising those essays

Cons for History
    PLEASE CAN SOMEONE FILL THIS IN AS IVE NEVER STUDIED HISTORY

Both are good choices. There is no reason why you cant do both at AS and drop 1 or even 2 subjects at A2 as I would still recommend going through with only 3 A levels and focus on getting food grades in those.
    Thanks I guess I'll make my mind up on results day
    How come you need to memorise essays in psychology :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABBIE09)
    Did both
    Loved both
    Got A* in History, A in Psychology
    History is more complex writing, both require remembering A LOT
    I would do both and drop a different Alevel!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I originally wanted to do both but I think 2 essay based subjects might be too much for me

ReputationRep:
    i would take history (if you enjoy it). I'm going to do a2 history, AS was a lot of effort/stress but if you enjoy something then revising it isn't boring. i found i was more stressed about history throughout the year than i was in my actual exam-think my school made it seem more difficult than it was

ReputationRep:
    I did both for AS and I'd say, pick History if you enjoy arguing and know how to produce multiple points to an argument without having to think for a long while or get help, as being able to extract and use relevant information is a must. Psychology is better if you prefer having to analyse, for example, three different approaches and be able to write about them. Although this can go for a majority of subjects, it's especially true for psychology; it's just a huge memory test. In my opinion, history was much more interesting as it's all fact, whereas psychology is mainly theories or ideas; requiring a much more open mind

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps consider philosophy (if possible) as it arches the sciences and the humanities.

Philosophy of Science

Philosophy of Mind and Behaviour

Philosophy of History: Ethics etc.

Philosophy will give you thinking and questioning skills that are very relevant for whatever career you choose.

If you really want to pursue History then consider the degree of 'History and Philosophy of Science' - fascinating!

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely adored psychology at A-level. It was incredibly fascinating and the skills I learned from studying it helped me to get offers from great universities (Durham, Bath, Bristol, York, Nottingham). It teaches you how to debate complex arguments, write coherently, interpret and analyse data, as well as much more. Universities do regard this subject as a respectable A-level. People who have never studied psychology may claim it to be an 'easy' subject but honestly, it's incredibly demanding and challenging and most definitely not a soft option. Therefore I'd say it's one of those subjects you have to truly enjoy and be committed to in order to succeed.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.