The Student Room Group

UEA Medicine with foundation Year 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hi all,

No need to panic - we will be looking at A104 applications in January and then we'll be contacting all of those who meet the mandatory criteria. So enjoy Christmas and you'll hear from us in the New Year :smile:
I'm really worried now. All I want to do in life is become a doctor and help others. I can't see my self doing anything in the future. Just been rejected from kings college EMDP, really hoping that UEA invite me for an interview. I have visited the campus so many times and it really is beautiful.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by University of East Anglia
Hi all,

No need to panic - we will be looking at A104 applications in January and then we'll be contacting all of those who meet the mandatory criteria. So enjoy Christmas and you'll hear from us in the New Year :smile:

Do you know
When are we likely to get contacted by? Really worried about this course
Original post by Yahya1997
I'm really worried now. All I want to do in life is become a doctor and help others. I can't see my self doing anything in the future. Just been rejected from kings college EMDP, really hoping that UEA invite me for an interview. I have visited the campus so many times and it really is beautiful.

Hey, what are your stats? (GCSE, ukcat etc.)
Original post by AtomicAJ
Hey, what are your stats? (GCSE, ukcat etc.)

Mine are pretty low but I didn't think they'd look at it that much since its foundation but people that applied have ukcat scores good enough for a normal medicine course lol
Original post by Alisahhh1998
Mine are pretty low but I didn't think they'd look at it that much since its foundation but people that applied have ukcat scores good enough for a normal medicine course lol

This sounds really stupid but I just want to make sure, when the thread says 2016 does this mean for people applying this year? I'm in year 12 and this October we'll be making applications, I plan on applying for this course. Does this thread apply to me?
This sounds really stupid but I just want to make sure, when the thread says 2016 does this mean for people applying this year? I'm in year 12 and this October we'll be making applications, I plan on applying for this course. Does this thread apply to me?

No it's a bit soon to apply? And this is for the people applying for 2016 so we go to uni in spetember of this year, yours will probably be 2017
No it's a bit soon to apply? And this is for the people applying for 2016 so we go to uni in spetember of this year, yours will probably be 2017

Ah okay, thank you ^.^ No when I say October I mean that I will be in year 13 by then, this year, I'm pretty sure this is the right time to apply?
Ah okay, thank you ^.^ No when I say October I mean that I will be in year 13 by then, this year, I'm pretty sure this is the right time to apply?

Oh my school did it after the summer but it's a good thing you're getting it done early
Reply 29
Hi guys, studying AS at the moment and hoping to study medicine with a foundation year. Should be able to achieve 3A's at A Level (Chemistry, Biology and Maths). Would of applied for normal medicine however my GCSES are at 1A*5A's4B's1C. Are these still good enough to apply for foundation medicine? And more importantly would I have a good chance if I achieved these grades (Based on purely Academics). Thanks!
Original post by Adam998
Hi guys, studying AS at the moment and hoping to study medicine with a foundation year. Should be able to achieve 3A's at A Level (Chemistry, Biology and Maths). Would of applied for normal medicine however my GCSES are at 1A*5A's4B's1C. Are these still good enough to apply for foundation medicine? And more importantly would I have a good chance if I achieved these grades (Based on purely Academics). Thanks!

6. I am predicted to achieve AAA at A2 level and* am considering applying for this course in case I do not secure a place on a five year medicine course. Is this a good idea?

No, we do not advise this. Applicants presenting with AAA predicted at A2 level are unlikely to benefit from the foundation year. A104 candidates should be able to demonstrate why they would benefit from the foundation year.

Sourse: https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/admissions-info/a104faq

However, they say "we do not ADVISE this", so i guess you could, but your chances would be pretty low.

Posted from TSR Mobile
HI I'm currently in year 11 and I don't know if I should choose B tech applied sciense or a levels. I heard some people got into medicine with B tech's, Is that true?

Anyone who can tell me the right directions into the medicine courses with or without foundation.

And good Luck for anyone who is applying
First of all you need to hope that you year does bad averagely, as less than 60% of students must have achieved 5+A*-C including English and maths. For A-Levels you can't have a social life if you want to do well. I think that unis prefer a levels due to the fact that in BTEC you have no end of year exams, you have assignments that you can take home. I've only heard of UEA accepting BTEC for medicine and no where else so by doing a BTEC your reducing your choices. Remember that theses foundation courses aren't designed for bright people, they're designed for people with lower grades but have a true passion for medicine.
Reply 33
Original post by Yahya1997
First of all you need to hope that you year does bad averagely, as less than 60% of students must have achieved 5+A*-C including English and maths. For A-Levels you can't have a social life if you want to do well. I think that unis prefer a levels due to the fact that in BTEC you have no end of year exams, you have assignments that you can take home. I've only heard of UEA accepting BTEC for medicine and no where else so by doing a BTEC your reducing your choices. Remember that theses foundation courses aren't designed for bright people, they're designed for people with lower grades but have a true passion for medicine.

Nottingham, Plymouth, Keele, Bradford
Original post by yt7777
Nottingham, Plymouth, Keele, Bradford

For starters I said "heard of", so there might be others. I don't think the unis you listed accept BTEC for medicine, I might be wrong though
Did anyone have to provide evidence of the social/contextual criteria? Since i have sent them the applications, i didnt hear anything. Not even to prove if i am eligible. Has anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SaphBruh
Did anyone have to provide evidence of the social/contextual criteria? Since i have sent them the applications, i didnt hear anything. Not even to prove if i am eligible. Has anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't either
Reply 37
Guys calm down, I don't think anyone has been asked to send any documents etc to UEA yet, their still looking at the applications and most likely we'll hear late January or early Feb
Original post by University of East Anglia
Hi all,

Do you when our interview or when we'll be likely to be contacted for an interview is? Thanks
Do you when our interview or when we'll be likely to be contacted for an interview is? Thanks

We are starting to invite applicants to interview this week for A104, but as this is done in batches there is no reason to panic if you do not hear this week!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending