Why do men in rap music glorify misogyny and present a hypermasculine image? Watch

em129
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Drunk Punx)
This is ****ing ridiculous, there's plenty of hip-hop that strays far from that bling bling bull****. Saying that rap's all about ho's, $$$ and drugs, is like saying that all metal is about killing people then shagging the corpses.
To the outsider it may seem the hoes and money stuff is rap but to me it's much more than that this post was merely to provide a topic of discussion people naive to real rap only see this young money stuff
Black Cat
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by em129)
To the outsider it may seem the hoes and money stuff is rap but to me it's much more than that this post was merely to provide a topic of discussion people naive to real rap only see this young money stuff
Bun dat fam
em129
Rep:
?
(Original post by QuantumSuicide)
Listen to some 2pac and eminem and then come back to me.

Suggested songs (2pac):
Changes
Ghetto gospel
Dear mama

Suggested songs (eminem):
When i'm gone
Headlights
Beautiful
Going through changes
You're never over

These are just from the top of my heard. Im sure there are many other beautiful raps

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know many raps like this but to a person from the outside looking in it all that gets on the radio is all this hoes and money stuff giving rap a worse name a personal favourite song of mine which is really touching a new song by j cole called be free give it a listen it's amazing
em129
Rep:
?
(Original post by RhymeAsylumForever)
You say 'most men', do you have a figure to support this or is it a claim? The rap I listen to has no misogyny and is more about lyrics, storytelling and just sick wordplay

Posted from TSR Mobile
Should I say within mainstream rap that would be played on a radio I like u love rap lyrics and consider it to be like poetry I just wanted to form a debate
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by em129)
I completely agree however to people who don't really explore rap and know about the genre and how great it is uneducated on the subject naive if u like only see the lil Wayne stuff
That's the point though bud, they don't know enough to comment.

(Original post by QuantumSuicide)
Listen to some 2pac and eminem and then come back to me.
They are two of the worst for this sort of stuff to be fair. One made pretty much two entire albums filled with killing gays and women (said in jest but it's not like his critics care about that) and the other is (was*) a convicted rapist who shot two policemen, died in a shooting, tattoo across his belly saying 'Thug Life' etc. For every 'Dear Mama' there's a 'Hit Em Up' or 'Toss It Up'.
Riku
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Women want an alpha male etc. etc.
armistiz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by em129)
I feel most men within rap feel they need to have it all and everything is done in excess lots of cars, money, women, drugs and alcohol. This for them asserts their authority and makes them better than others. The hypermasculine image they often portray may leave other males feeling inadequate as they feel they would never be able to be as masculine as their idols. Also women are objectified a lot and made by rappers within their videos and on album covers to bow to their every need and be there to be looked at treated as objects owned by the rappers due to their wealth. Don't get me wrong I love rap but wanted to see everyone's views on men within the industry.

Erm....because the PC media don't realise most top rappers either today, from the past (like LL Cool J) or deceased (Biggie/Tupac), came from the ghetto. Rap comes from the ghetto. So they're rapping about what they know and experienced.

Listeners have to be given credit since they know what they saying is only THEIR reality and not what life is or should be.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (59)
30.1%
No - I got the required grades (114)
58.16%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
11.73%

Watched Threads