Shall I withdraw my UCAS application? Watch

Wahrheit
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I think an economist would be able to spot the mistake. In short, I wrote Chinese Yen instead of 'Yuan' within the sentence I was explaining. As you probably already know 'Yen' is the Japanese currency. Therefore it is technically wrong
Ahhh OK then, I won't lie I would be probably be worried too in your position, but you really shouldn't be. I mean, if you come across like a knowledgeable person otherwise they'll just pin it down to "he was talking about japan then changed it to china but forgot to change the currency name" or something. Honestly, they will probably notice it, but they won't make a decision based on it. They'll see it as a simple slip, and I'm sure they won't just assume that you don't know the names of foreign currencies. And even if they did think that, it wouldn't impact how good you are as an Economist.

I'm sure you'll be fine, mate. Good luck with your application!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Wahrheit)
Ahhh OK then, I won't lie I would be probably be worried too in your position, but you really shouldn't be. I mean, if you come across like a knowledgeable person otherwise they'll just pin it down to "he was talking about japan then changed it to china but forgot to change the currency name" or something. Honestly, they will probably notice it, but they won't make a decision based on it. They'll see it as a simple slip, and I'm sure they won't just assume that you don't know the names of foreign currencies. And even if they did think that, it wouldn't impact how good you are as an Economist.

I'm sure you'll be fine, mate. Good luck with your application!
Thank you for being honest, I hope it does come across like that.
I'm still not sure whether I should email the universities about the slip? I don't want them to think I Know nothing about the subject when infact I have done my research. What are your thoughts?
Wahrheit
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you for being honest, I hope it does come across like that.
I'm still not sure whether I should email the universities about the slip? I don't want them to think I Know nothing about the subject when infact I have done my research. What are your thoughts?
I would drop them a really short email just saying something the lines of "just thought I'd point out that there's a mistake on my personal statement blah blah blah, was a a stupid mistake and it should be blah blah blah, sorry for any confusion!" Worst that could happen is they'd think that you're diligent or eager, and that's not a bad thing at all!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Wahrheit)
I would drop them a really short email just saying something the lines of "just thought I'd point out that there's a mistake on my personal statement blah blah blah, was a a stupid mistake and it should be blah blah blah, sorry for any confusion!" Worst that could happen is they'd think that you're diligent or eager, and that's not a bad thing at all!
I think I will email the universities, I sent my application on the 15th October; I hope it's not too late to inform them about this!
I can't thank you enough I feel a lot better
Wahrheit
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think I will email the universities, I sent my application on the 15th October; I hope it's not too late to inform them about this!
I can't thank you enough I feel a lot better
Not a problem at all, and I wouldn't worry most unis probably haven't even looked at applications yet! Hope it all goes great!
sophiecorah
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think an economist would be able to spot the mistake. In short, I wrote Chinese Yen instead of 'Yuan' within the sentence I was explaining. As you probably already know 'Yen' is the Japanese currency. Therefore it is technically wrong
I'm not doing anything at all like economics. But to be honest, I don't think that will be the be all and end all of your application. Universities know people make mistakes. They're going to be more interested in what you've had to say about yourself and your reason for wanting to do the course, as opposed to a spelling mistake.

If its really worrying you that much email the universities and explain. You'll get no offers if you withdraw, but you do still have a chance at the moment You wont get your money back and they allow people to reapply year after year. Just stick it out and see where it gets you.

Good Luck
furryface12
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for your help
I guess I'll have to hope for the best and worst comes to worst I'll take a gap year.
Gap years aren't all that bad! I'm taking one this year- feel free to PM me if you have any questions! Having seen your description of the mistake though, I don't think it's all that bad. Yes, I'd be worried if I were you, but that's only natural! I'd try not to if you can though, the admissions tutors are human too and I can't imagine they'd be too bothered by it. As someone else said, they'll be much more interested in you as a person, what you've done and whether they want you on their course than a simple mistake. That said, emailing them could be good if only to put your mind at rest. Good luck!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by furryface12)
Gap years aren't all that bad! I'm taking one this year- feel free to PM me if you have any questions! Having seen your description of the mistake though, I don't think it's all that bad. Yes, I'd be worried if I were you, but that's only natural! I'd try not to if you can though, the admissions tutors are human too and I can't imagine they'd be too bothered by it. As someone else said, they'll be much more interested in you as a person, what you've done and whether they want you on their course than a simple mistake. That said, emailing them could be good if only to put your mind at rest. Good luck!
I've actually come across some amazing gap year schemes so I'm sure your right.
Thank you, I will definitely PM you if I decide on a gap year! I've emailed UCL so far, can't bring myself to email the others! It has put my mind at rest, so I'm going to email the others soon
Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it! Good luck with everything
furryface12
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've actually come across some amazing gap year schemes so I'm sure your right.
Thank you, I will definitely PM you if I decide on a gap year! I've emailed UCL so far, can't bring myself to email the others! It has put my mind at rest, so I'm going to email the others soon
Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it! Good luck with everything
Well done! Thanks, you too!
High Stakes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
PM me, I'm planning on taking Economics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (146)
38.32%
No - but I will (21)
5.51%
No - I don't want to (28)
7.35%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (186)
48.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise