Durham offer holders 2015 thread Watch

MagicJigsaw
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What GCSEs did you offer holder peeps get? I'm so paranoid that my GCSEs aren't good enough for them to make me an offer...
Charlescharles
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
AAB for Sociology, so exciting!
Jamie S
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rubgangsci)
This is why I'm apprehensive about Durham, because people can get in with AAB. Not very prestigious. Not to offend you, you may surpass the offer, but it's the principle of the offer which concerns me.
That does not reflect the pretigousness of the university... Most courses at Durham are above AAA in entry requirement. Most universities will have courses with low entry requirements, even places such as LSE and UCL.
Nabbles
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MagicJigsaw)
What GCSEs did you offer holder peeps get? I'm so paranoid that my GCSEs aren't good enough for them to make me an offer...
They don't care too much about your GCSE's, your A level predictions and personal statement etc are more important.
Kirsty0712
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by victoriatayylor)
Has anyone received an offer from Durham for Law?
Not yet but then again my LNAT is booked for the 27th. Have you taken yours yet? Which College did you apply to?
Rubgangsci
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jamie S)
That does not reflect the pretigousness of the university... Most courses at Durham are above AAA in entry requirement. Most universities will have courses with low entry requirements, even places such as LSE and UCL.
*sigh* it is prestige, not prestigiousness. Thank you for exemplifying my point. With predictions of 4A*s, I would hope to end up at Cambridge, but my back up is Durham. And if I do get 4A*s, it's not unreasonable to not want to end up in the same place as someone with AAB or anything like that.
Kirsty0712
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
*sigh* it is prestige, not prestigiousness. Thank you for exemplifying my point. With predictions of 4A*s, I would hope to end up at Cambridge, but my back up is Durham. And if I do get 4A*s, it's not unreasonable to not want to end up in the same place as someone with AAB or anything like that.
Why would you apply to Durham then? It is unreasonable that you would even put a comment like that up... What University you go to is not the be all and end all. What you do with your degree is what makes you something in life. All well and good to want to go to Cambridge. But a degree on a whole is what gets you somewhere in life. I think you should have just applied to Cambridge, I personally would hate to have someone like you on my course. If you don't get in to Cambridge, end up going to Durham instead I am sure the University would LOVE to see what you have had to say
Jamie S
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kirsty0712)
Why would you apply to Durham then? It is unreasonable that you would even put a comment like that up... What University you go to is not the be all and end all. What you do with your degree is what makes you something in life. All well and good to want to go to Cambridge. But a degree on a whole is what gets you somewhere in life. I think you should have just applied to Cambridge, I personally would hate to have someone like you on my course. If you don't get in to Cambridge, end up going to Durham instead I am sure the University would LOVE to see what you have had to say
Perfect
Kirsty0712
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jamie S)
Perfect
Sorry haha .. Did not want to seem harsh. But I really don't like people who think so highly of themselves and put everyone else below. I think people like that are highly ignorant...
Rubgangsci
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've made an incorrect impression of myself. I actually think Durham is a great university, and I agree with you that your course is very important, but as with all of life you become very much a product of your environment which includes the people around you. I haven't chosen Cambridge for the name, I've chosen it for the type of people it attracts, hard workers. And having been to an open day at Durham, and seeing some of the types of offers they hand out. I'm not too sure I could say the same about Durham, I hope I am wrong however.
Kirsty0712
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've made an incorrect impression of myself. I actually think Durham is a great university, and I agree with you that your course is very important, but as with all of life you become very much a product of your environment which includes the people around you. I haven't chosen Cambridge for the name, I've chosen it for the type of people it attracts, hard workers. And having been to an open day at Durham, and seeing some of the types of offers they hand out. I'm not too sure I could say the same about Durham, I hope I am wrong however.
I stand by what I have said but I need to change it slightly. I would be embarrassed to be at Durham with you on a whole. Maybe you should withdraw your application. Seems like you wasting your time as well as the college you have applied to.... Seems like you are too "good" for Durham....
Kirsty0712
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
One more thing, if you think the offers they hand out are below what you are capable of, why would you bother applying. Might want to re- check that application if I were you...
Rubgangsci
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I stand by what I have said but I need to change it slightly. I would be embarrassed to be at Durham with you on a whole. Maybe you should withdraw your application. Seems like you wasting your time as well as the college you have applied to.... Seems like you are too "good" for Durham....
No, I don't think that's the case.
Kirsty0712
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No, I don't think that's the case.
I do, because I think you comment was completely ignorant and ridiculous. Seems like you are too full of yourself and so seem to be extremely downgrading to others.
gloria97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For those who have been given an offer, which subject and what were your AS grades? Just wondering
Imzee15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got BBB at As level as well as meet all the pre-requisites of Bsc management. My predicted are BBB as well as my recommendations are good. Would i extended an offer or not?
jhaddad
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MagicJigsaw)
10.5 A*s and 2 As
chloefawn
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Because they hand out the second highest offer for my course (A*AA), only one other uni offers higher, and that's Cambridge.
I don't think you're seeing what the other users are saying to you. You have approached a thread directed at Durham applicants with an air of contempt, not only does that paint you as an unfavourable person, it paints you as very judgmental and unfair. Granted, we are now judging you, but discussing 'prestige' as if its something every potential university student tosses and turns over is ridiculous. Durham gives out high offers because its a brilliant university. True, you might be a product of your environment, we're all aware of Marxist theory, but believe me, if you somehow end up at Durham, you won't suddenly turn into a hammer wielding factory monkey just because a few of your peers might have received an AAB offer (the shock!). If you're worried about that, lord only knows how you feel about the supported progression scheme they have going on.
Vasudha07
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
CBSE 85%+ for Archaeology and Anthropology!
daisystones
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Has anyone had a Geography offer yet?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Mon, 1 Jul '19
  • Durham University
    Sat, 6 Jul '19
  • Durham University
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.82%
No - but I will (46)
6.76%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (319)
46.91%

Watched Threads