Is Management/Business Really A "Mickey Mouse" Degree? Watch

s.a.u
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BreakingBadx)
Thanks, I'll see if I can find that Wow, that's pretty neat!

That's a shame, more crossover modules would definitely be interesting - I guess doing both subjects is still better than nothing, though. What university are you at, if you don't mind me asking? I'm guessing you do your course across two departments?
No problem. I'm at Essex. The degree technically belongs to the Government department, but the course is across both Government and Economics.
Iggy Azalea
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mr CS)
There's no such thing as a Mickey Mouse degree. It's just a label used by elitists who think they know everything about a degree but in reality know very little about what those actual degrees involve.
It's BreakingBadx you should be telling this info to, not me.
infairverona
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think it is, if it's done at a good university.

I studied Law and I really wish I'd done Business Management or HR Management instead now, especially if there's a placement year built in. That's the best way to get a job if you don't get onto a grad scheme.
_-_Ella_-_
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, you can transfer into it there, but there's no guarantee I'll get into there, and if not I'll have to study Economics for all 3 years at another uni

Why do you think Economics would be better? Just re: job prospects? As I said in the OP, I'm good at Maths - I just feel that Economics is a little theory-heavy for me, whereas Management talks about more things that can be applied IRL.
I think it will definitely have more prospects. If you think you will manage it and enjoy it then economics is probably best.
Millerman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
​How reputable is management BSc at LSE?? in comparison to economics and maths etc when trying to go into banking, consultancy or industry???
Wiggledinho
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Would I be better off doing a subject with more of a "rigorous" reputation, such as Economics?
"rigorous" yeah . . .
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Great link, not seen that particular data before.

Suggests a 65% chance of professional or managerial employment for myself which is comforting since while Economics is respected, the university is less so.

Is it not very reputable even if done at somewhere like Warwick or KCL (or, to a latter extent, the likes of SOAS or Queen Mary)?

I'm thinking of applying to do it - the only other option for me would be Economics, but, to be honest, though I'm very good at Maths it doesn't appeal to me half as much. Oxbridge doesn't offer straight Management either (E & M is very Economics-heavy) and I would have wanted to apply there, but ofc that's not a good reason not to choose it as a degree.

I've heard that the sort of thing you learn in a Management degree is not worth undergoing an actual degree for. Is this true? Would I be better off doing a subject with more of a "rigorous" reputation, such as Economics?
I would suggest that Business Studies is considered weak at university because it's such a broad subject but it's certainly not a mickey mouse degree comparable to hair and makeup studies or whatever.

It may be a better option to study Economics or Finance or Accounting (if accredited) and just make sure that your university offers a lot of business related modules.
ltsmith
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
wtf is a micky mouse degree :L
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (63)
37.95%
No - but I will (6)
3.61%
No - I don't want to (10)
6.02%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (87)
52.41%

Watched Threads