The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

english offer A*A*A? what are they playing at?

Scroll to see replies

woa ok thanks you guys
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by EmergencyBagels
woa ok thanks you guys

[video="youtube;qvvF7-5SIJ8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvvF7-5SIJ8[/video]
Reply 22
I applied to Cornwall Campus and got an offer of ABB. I think it depends on the campus but idk
Original post by gospel_
I applied to Cornwall Campus and got an offer of ABB. I think it depends on the campus but idk

Yup, for courses that are offered at both campuses the offers for Cornwall tend to be lower as there is far less demand for places down there.
High demand means they can be picky.

The way that universities are funded these days means the more high grade students they recruit, the more they can recruit in the future.

And if they majorly miscalculate, there's always clearing.
A girl at my school has an English offer from Exeter of A*A*A. But they emailed her to say that if she firms them, they'll lower it to A*AA. She's an Oxbridge English applicant.
i havent applied to exeter yet, but ive seen pretty much everyone who has got an offer from them saying that theirs is for A*A*A
i mean, i know the guidelines of standard offer on the website can be flexible, but really, surely they shouldnt out and out lie. a standard offer should be the one you are giving as a standard, but ive not seen ANYONE get a lower offer. surely thats just unfair to pretend that people should expect a certain standard but then change it completely. kind of a nasty trick
anyone know why this might be, or maybe got an offer for their actual standard offer A*AA?

They are doing a Lancaster, trying to raise the grades in order to climb the UK league tables. This will only result in a drop in applications, as neither are prestigious universities. Maybe AAA/AAB would have been about right.

Seriously, some of the up and coming universities are taking young students for fools. 10 years ago, you'd get into Exeter with ABB for the same course.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hollywood Hogan
They are doing a Lancaster, trying to raise the grades in order to climb the UK league tables. This will only result in a drop in applications, as neither are prestigious universities. Maybe AAA/AAB would have been about right.

Seriously, some of the up and coming universities are taking young students for fools. 10 years ago, you'd get into Exeter with ABB for the same course.

well exeter is actually pretty good for english, i know league tables arent everything and obviously cant give the whole story but theyre pretty darn high up.
not that i think thats an excuse
yea theres been a MASSIVE inflation of grade requirements, i couldnt even find anywhere for ABB. it goes straight from A*AA to BBB pretty much, with a couple of AABs.
i actually got this offer this week. my teacher reckons that theyre just playing some kind of mind tricks and that if i actually firmed them and got AAA theyd probs have me, still dont know if i want to risk it tho.
well exeter is actually pretty good for english, i know league tables arent everything and obviously cant give the whole story but theyre pretty darn high up.
not that i think thats an excuse
yea theres been a MASSIVE inflation of grade requirements, i couldnt even find anywhere for ABB. it goes straight from A*AA to BBB pretty much, with a couple of AABs.
i actually got this offer this week. my teacher reckons that theyre just playing some kind of mind tricks and that if i actually firmed them and got AAA theyd probs have me, still dont know if i want to risk it tho.

Do you want to go to a uni that does that to you? I know I wouldn't. Maybe you should telephone them and ask what they are up to?
Original post by Hollywood Hogan

Having studied Maths with a minor in Engineering at Lancaster, then switching to Engineering at Exeter (and being closer friends with a lot of maths students here) I can tell you for a fact that at least for these two courses Exeter is vastly superior to Lancaster in damn near every possible way.

It also happens to be a much nicer University and a much better city to live in.
Original post by mackemforever
Having studied Maths with a minor in Engineering at Lancaster, then switching to Engineering at Exeter (and being closer friends with a lot of maths students here) I can tell you for a fact that at least for these two courses Exeter is vastly superior to Lancaster in damn near every possible way.

It also happens to be a much nicer University and a much better city to live in.

I agree that Exeter is better overall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending