Guy walks for 3 Hours in NYC gets "sexually Harassed" Watch

Doctor_Einstein
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by scrotgrot)
Cba to watch the video but if it involves women making sexual comments it is NOT a particularly valid analogue of sexual harassment.

The male version of sexual harassment is men shouting comments at you from cars, barging into you on the street, etc. It's about intimidation in both cases. And it is mainly a class issue, i.e. people who get **** on in most of the rest of their life taking out their frustration.

It happens more to women because:
1. Men are not guaranteed easy targets, even a skinny weedy looking guy may be able to hurt you.
2. Women have something the harassers wish they could have, so it is a flashpoint for their frustration. These are not high value men who routinely get to sleep with high value women. Sex is a very strong vehicle for harassment.

It's a huge mistake to see it as a gender issue. It's a class issue. It can be tackled as a gender issue but you will constantly be fighting a guerrilla war against harassers and alienating decent men. It needs to be tackled at the root which involves a class approach and will take generations and involve empathising with harassers, so I don’t hold out much hope.

It's worth noting that "harassment" just means "aggressive pressure and intimidation", which clearly can happen to both sexes, just sex is available as a vehicle for doing it to women.
While it is a class issue, men are more likely to be part of the homeless class on the streets and thus be the ones making such rude comments to women. Therefore yes it is a class problem, but it is also a gender problem until we can have equitable homelessness rates for each gender.
كفر
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is this a regular thing in New York? I've never gotten any attention from strangers - be it negative or positive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
UnicornZee
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
I'm struggling to keep up with your gender dividing here, as simply changing the word guy->girl in your post turns it into a classic victim blaming thing that would get ripped to shreds by the usual #TSR Feminist crew.

I hear what you're saying though, there's definitely a degree of that. But it's a constructed division, there's no biochemical reason for guys to love the attention and girls to hate it, only a primitive tribal socio evolutionary one.

Well the question was referring to whether or not the problem happens to men as well as women and if we are over-looking this problem that clearly exists, so obviously i'm going to have to gender divide in order to give an argument on sexual harassment that occurs to both genders.

And i wasn't arguing if it was a biochemical reason or primitive tribal socio evolutionary one, i was just saying that the guys i know personally would love the attention, whether that is down to a primitive tribal socio evolutionary one its not the point, i was just stating that i've not come across a guy that does not like the attention, so i guess this forum helped me see an issue i wasn't originally aware of to this degree.
Le Nombre
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by كفر)
Is this a regular thing in New York? I've never gotten any attention from strangers - be it negative or positive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Think it's probably a big city thing, I've noticed it a bit since moving to London (not as much as that guy, but I'm not as good looking as him).

(Original post by femalebosszee)
Well the question was referring to whether or not the problem happens to men as well as women and if we are over-looking this problem that clearly exists, so obviously i'm going to have to gender divide in order to give an argument on sexual harassment that occurs to both genders.

And i wasn't arguing if it was a biochemical reason or primitive tribal socio evolutionary one, i was just saying that the guys i know personally would love the attention, whether that is down to a primitive tribal socio evolutionary one its not the point, i was just stating that i've not come across a guy that does not like the attention, so i guess this forum helped me see an issue i wasn't originally aware of to this degree.
It is annoying, I might have loved it at 18 occasionally, but it's a bit of a pain now. It's not in any way threatening though, as 2 of the the very same things making girls do it (that I'm tall and well built) mean that there are very few women who pose a physical threat to me.
Iggy Azalea
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think the past year or so, gender respect has flipped. Women have rightfully earned a lot of respect and to sexualise them or harass them is a no-go. Unfortunately, the conclusion from this is that somehow every man is responsible for misogyny and should be disrespected in consequence. :rolleyes:

For example, the Diet Coke advert is pure sexualisation of men to sell products to females.

If people are actually feminists, they would be demanding that adverts like this get taken down.
Smash Bandicoot
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The problem is there are a lot of young uni feminists posting these videos on Facebook then commenting on them with things such as [paraphrasing my feminist friend of friend/fb friend here] '"sexually harrassed? looool don't make me laugh. Check your privilegeand get a grip little boys"'

Even some feminists mock men on this issue :/
what is this
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No one addresses the biggest elephant in the room - sexual "harassment" is all about looks.

If a Brad Pitt looking guy went around London talking to random women they'd love it and give him their numbers without him asking.

If and average looking guy went around London talking to women he'd be arrested and jailed for sexual harassment.

Lol at anyone who goes around day approaching women.

Lol at taking this sort of harassment seriously .
UnicornZee
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Le Nombre)
Think it's probably a big city thing, I've noticed it a bit since moving to London (not as much as that guy, but I'm not as good looking as him).

It is annoying, I might have loved it at 18 occasionally, but it's a bit of a pain now. It's not in any way threatening though, as 2 of the the very same things making girls do it (that I'm tall and well built) mean that there are very few women who pose a physical threat to me.
Well that's the first i've heard of that :eek: but its interesting to know there are some men that experience this regularly and its not made an issue
Smash Bandicoot
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Iggy Azalea)
I think the past year or so, gender respect has flipped. Women have rightfully earned a lot of respect and to sexualise them or harass them is a no-go. Unfortunately, the conclusion from this is that somehow every man is responsible for misogyny and should be disrespected in consequence. :rolleyes:

For example, the Diet Coke advert is pure sexualisation of men to sell products to females.

If people are actually feminists, they would be demanding that adverts like this get taken down.
Yeh but real men don't get their feeeeelz hurt by silly media and if they do they man up and do something about it like hit the gym

NOmsaiyan

The cycle continues until most women can deal with men being human and not disposable cogs in the industrial corporate machine-I can assure you capitalism does not WANT men to feel indisposable.
Le Nombre
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well that's the first i've heard of that :eek: but its interesting to know there are some men that experience this regularly and its not made an issue
Why would it be? There are plenty of minor annoyances in my life, I don't expect them to taken up as some kind of cause by the wider public. Whistling at me, asking me for my number does not carry a threat value when those doing it are about half my weight.

Also, and I know this sounds cocky but it is true, you have to be quite good looking for this to happen, so there's maybe 20% of young guys it affects, whereas most young women experience.
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Iggy Azalea)

This isn't new, this has always happened, or at least in the decades since bare flesh in adverts became acceptable. Men just didn't form a group to get all butthurt about it.

It shows that feminism really isn't an egalitarian ideology that they don't condemn adverts like this.

The real analogue of objectification of women in film, adverts etc is not really this though. It's characters like, I don't know, Christian Grey, where you have to be rich, mysterious, dominant, or action heroes where you have to be muscly and stupidly heroic, or people like James Bond where you have to be all suave and witty.

Sure it's less one-dimensional than just having pressure to look hot, but that's only really because women tend to be attracted to certain sorts of personality traits rather than looks per se. And I'd argue that becoming an "alpha male" and having the traits listed above is just as hard, if not harder than, trying to become a "hot girl" by slimming down and slapping on make-up or whatever.
scrotgrot
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
The problem is there are a lot of young uni feminists posting these videos on Facebook then commenting on them with things such as [paraphrasing my feminist friend of friend/fb friend here] '"sexually harrassed? looool don't make me laugh. Check your privilegeand get a grip little boys"'

Even some feminists mock men on this issue :/
Yeah typical, campus feminists are basically just bullies now. I have some sympathy for them though tbh, they come to uni with good intentions and fire in their bellies looking for a political cause to believe in and all they get is feminism. Usually after entering the real world they realise what a con it all was and how it's made them into a hateful person.
EllieC130
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Actual argument aside, despite the fact I agree this guy is fine, who the hell has the balls to say half the stuff in that video? Maybe wolf whistle but any of the other stuff, holy ****.

On a serious note, honestly if someone wolf whistles at me in the street (no one has ever made an actual comment) I just kind of smile to myself and move on. I personally think sexual harassment only becomes such when the comment they make has sexual implications. And I'm a borderline feminist. It's really frustrating that I can't even confidently call myself a feminist anymore because some people have taken things too damn far. That's not to say I agree with the men on the total opposite extreme, anti feminists; they're just as annoying.
what is this
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by scrotgrot)
This isn't new, this has always happened, or at least in the decades since bare flesh in adverts became acceptable. Men just didn't form a group to get all butthurt about it.

It shows that feminism really isn't an egalitarian ideology that they don't condemn adverts like this.

The real analogue of objectification of women in film, adverts etc is not really this though. It's characters like, I don't know, Christian Grey, where you have to be rich, mysterious, dominant, or action heroes where you have to be muscly and stupidly heroic, or people like James Bond where you have to be all suave and witty.

Sure it's less one-dimensional than just having pressure to look hot, but that's only really because women tend to be attracted to certain sorts of personality traits rather than looks per se. And I'd argue that becoming an "alpha male" and having the traits listed above is just as hard, if not harder than, trying to become a "hot girl" by slimming down and slapping on make-up or whatever.
Lol at thinking women don't care as much about looks as men.

They care about then MORE than men. Whereas most men would just be content with a slim girl , women demand a guy be tall, ripped, look like Brad Pitt and that's just basic physical traits.
UnicornZee
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Le Nombre)
Why would it be? There are plenty of minor annoyances in my life, I don't expect them to taken up as some kind of cause by the wider public. Whistling at me, asking me for my number does not carry a threat value when those doing it are about half my weight.

Also, and I know this sounds cocky but it is true, you have to be quite good looking for this to happen, so there's maybe 20% of young guys it affects, whereas most young women experience.
What i mean is, no one really takes men into consideration when it comes to sexual harassment, it's always women when as you've proved it clearly happens to men too and some may be uncomfortable with it, so instead of making it all about women it should be about men too, for e.g. these advertisements you see on TV all the time of women getting sexually harassed, there should be more adverts on men getting harassed too showing that it happens to them as well as women.

And yeah true, but whenever that happens to me 70% of the time the guy feels the need to grope me, my point was men shouldn't be ignored when it comes to this topic, but like you said these women are half you're weight, you could make them back off if you wanted to whereas in my position, okay maybe not in my position because i don't care how big a guy is i will kick his ass :argh: but in a lot of cases women won't or can't retaliate which is why they're always the main victims in these adverts, etc but just because it's not as talked about with men does not mean the issue shouldn't be made more aware among everyone.
young akhi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Yemiisii)

Does Sexual harassment just happen to women or both sexes? discuss

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL omg this is the funniest video I've watched in a long time... My guess is that NYC is messed up.. do the video in london and watch, EVEN if you do get approached is just much more civilized
young akhi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
btw if dudes ever say any of the stuff they'ed end up in hospital.. that's just sick
scrotgrot
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by what is this)
Lol at thinking women don't care as much about looks as men.

They care about then MORE than men. Whereas most men would just be content with a slim girl , women demand a guy be tall, ripped, look like Brad Pitt and that's just basic physical traits.
I agree women are more demanding than men in general but my point is that they care about a wider range of stuff other than looks.

You're really overstating your case with the Brad Pitt thing but I agree to some extent. Thing is even if you do look like that it won't be enough for women unless you have everything else as well.
Le Nombre
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What i mean is, no one really takes men into consideration when it comes to sexual harassment, it's always women when as you've proved it clearly happens to men too and some may be uncomfortable with it, so instead of making it all about women it should be about men too, for e.g. these advertisements you see on TV all the time of women getting sexually harassed, there should be more adverts on men getting harassed too showing that it happens to them as well as women.

And yeah true, but whenever that happens to me 70% of the time the guy feels the need to grope me, my point was men shouldn't be ignored when it comes to this topic, but like you said these women are half you're weight, you could make them back off if you wanted to whereas in my position, okay maybe not in my position because i don't care how big a guy is i will kick his ass :argh: but in a lot of cases women won't or can't retaliate which is why they're always the main victims in these adverts, etc but just because it's not as talked about with men does not mean the issue shouldn't be made more aware among everyone.
True, but for me it's kind of like people walking slowly, it's a minor irritant, not a major stain on my day.

I never really get groping or anything. I had one drunk girl stand in front of me on a late night tube and just 'fancy some ****ing?'. For me that's fine, I can move her out of the way with little effort, if the roles were reversed however she wouldn't be able to move me without my compliance.
TurboCretin
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I guess guys don't see it as sexual harassment? I mean if i'm honest every guy i know would love the attention and wouldn't mind because that's how they're wired, they find it a compliment whereas women find it creepy getting stared at by random weirdo's, i've never come across a guy that doesn't like it, but yes in this big world, there must be guys that feel just like girls in that kind of situation.
Does the reprehensibility of the act consist in the act itself, or the reaction to it?

You can't know how a given individual will respond to something like this, male or female. Personally, I think that's reason enough for all of it to be frowned upon.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (207)
40.12%
No - but I will (32)
6.2%
No - I don't want to (35)
6.78%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (242)
46.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise