Same. :cry:
Wissenschaft
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by solarplexus)
got A*A*A*aa + A* in epq which i got 2 years early
Did the EPQ help much going to University? I didn't think many Universities gave it that much attention.
Asexual Demigod
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by HeavisideDelts)
Were not talking about the situation where one has the grades but are not good enough for cambridge. Im comparing your a*aa to those at cambridge who have a string of a* and considering theyre at cambridge are suited to the style of teaching.
You do know how correlations work, don't you? Not everyone with 5 A*s will get a first, and some people with "only" A*AA will.
lucaf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
one
Wissenschaft
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Asexual Demigod)
You do know how correlations work, don't you? Not everyone with 5 A*s will get a first, and some people with "only" A*AA will.
Call me racist, but the fact is, someone with 5A*s is much more likely to do very well at University, even compared to someone with A*AA. Both are good grades, but 5A*s is exceptional.
Asexual Demigod
Rep:
?
Yes i do know how correlation works.

Did i say that said person with A*AA wont. I merely said:

-A*AA is very much at the lower end of cambridge alevel results (remember i did not say lower end of ability)
- tripos performance is what is much more important now.

So i dont possinly see why youre trying to argue with me when everything youre saying supports my earlier statements..
Fair enough. I just figured that you were implying that Paralove was of a lower ability simply because of the way you conveyed your points. They had emotional force that you were possibly oblivious to.
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Three, and two As.
Asexual Demigod
Rep:
?
No problem. What course are you studying?
None of your business.

I'm guessing that you study Natural Sciences, Mathematics, Computer Science or Engineering, and you probably think I am studying an arts subject. Correct?
Asexual Demigod
Rep:
?
(Original post by alow)
Three, and two As.
The two As are irrelevant.
Hollywood Hogan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you did A levels in the 90s, you would be saying, 'How many B grades did you get'. A decline in standards.
Asexual Demigod
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hollywood Hogan)
If you did A levels in the 90s, you would be saying, 'How many B grades did you get'. A decline in standards.
Duh. I have another thread that addresses your point. :cool:
meenu89
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
None. They weren't achievable when I did mine.
Paralove
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Erm. i go to cambridge myself. A* is very well correlated between degree performance...there is a significantly larger chance of getting a 1st when you have more than 2A*s compared to your cambridge counterparts who dont.
Yet what about those who only just get an A*, or only just miss out on one, as I did in one of my A-grade subjects? As much as there is a difference between a weak and strong A, surely there would be some between a weak and strong A*?

Well if youre so aware of the research it baffles me that what you previously said flies straight in the face of it.

Like i said,A*AA is a good set of grades and frankly dont matter now youre at cambridge: tripos performance matters. However, with those grades youre at the lower end of the spectrum by cambridge standards since alevels are expected to be easy for most students. Given said person was pooled, it makes sense.
Said person, as in..?
PerArduaAdAstra
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
4 A*s
Wissenschaft
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'll take that as a sexist comment.
How can it be sexist when s/he can't see what gender you are?
Asexual Demigod
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paralove)

Said person, as in..?
Pay no attention, it's a mathematics student. They are highly rational and coldly unemotional at the best of times...
Asexual Demigod
Rep:
?
Im not at Selwyn?

(Ps im on my phone)
im on my phone 2, omg1111!!!
Paralove
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Pay no attention, it's a mathematics student. They are highly rational and coldly unemotional at the best of times...
Hahahaa. Only asking because if the pooling was in reference to me, then it would be a little bit awkward as I wasn't pooled....
alow
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You had a whole year and got an A in FM. What happened bro? You musta been close to A* surely...what were your moduke marks?
I got a super easy offer so didn't bother about it that much. I would have gotten it if I hadn't dun goofed in M3 though.
Wissenschaft
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This person saw the emotional responses that I relayed to them and assumed I attended an all-women's college as a result. The mere assumption that women are more emotional is a stereotype and founded in archaic sexism.
I think it was you who jumped to conclusions. Also, a higher proportion of art students are female.

What's your beef with science students?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.8%
No - but I will (115)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (700)
47.43%

Watched Threads