I'm TSR's Community Director, AMA Watch

thunder_chunky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If a zombie bites a vampire, does the zombie become a vampire or does the vampire become a zombie?
Balloon Baboon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Captain Jack)
:pirate3:

Ask me anything!

Check your mail box!
Captain Jack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Nick Parsons)
What does "Community Director" mean?
I'm tasked with the ownership and growth of The Student Room site and all of its content and dev improvements, and manage the community team and moderator teams.

Do you work from home?
No, I travel to our big office in Brighton every day unless I have meetings with businesses or universities in London or across the UK.

What's your typical day like? Keep it very brief
As brief as I can: Everyday can be very different but generally we look at data across the site to check performance. Then I have to work with our development, learning, testing and design teams to approve new changes to the site (e.g. I'm currently working on improving the mobile app and working with the design team on a slight improvement to the top menu). I sit with our community managers and editor and we talk all day about new content and the needs of students. Finally, a chunk of the day will be talking to members like you and our moderators Sometimes I work with our sales team too and meet with universities to help them integrate with our community. I've also worked on research and PR.
Balloon Baboon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have ownership of The Student Room site and all of its content and dev improvements, and manage the community team and moderator teams.

No, I travel to our big office in Brighton every day unless I have meetings with businesses or universities in London or across the UK.

As brief as I can: Everyday can be very different but generally we look at data across the site to check performance. Then I have to work with our development, learning, testing and design teams to approve new changes to the site (e.g. I'm currently working on improving the mobile app and working with the design team on a slight improvement to the top menu). I sit with our community managers and editor and we talk all day about new content and the needs of students. Finally, a chunk of the day will be talking to members like you and our moderators Sometimes I work with our sales team too and meet with universities to help them integrate with our community. I've also worked on research and PR.

So in other words, he's the boss man.
Captain Jack
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
what does AMA stand for ?

:hmmmm2:
I'm afraid I have never been able to work it out either :eek:
Captain Jack
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lee R)
Check your mail box!
Checked and replied!
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm afraid I have never been able to work it out either :eek:
could it stand for Angry Male Artisan ?
Balloon Baboon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Checked and replied!
Captain Jack, biggest troublemaker on the Seven Seas!

Thank you!
Captain Jack
Rep:
?
(Original post by thunder_chunky)
If a zombie bites a vampire, does the zombie become a vampire or does the vampire become a zombie?
Not many people know this but there are two possible outcomes:

Zompire - which is a zombie with a superiority complex and an ego bigger than Simon Cowell's. Sometimes the Zompire will malfunction and turn into a zombie bat and attack other bats.

Vambie - a vambie is unfortunate because, like Bambi, has a very innocent mind but sadly, its limbs will randomly fall off until eventually its head also falls off and rolls away somewhere. So vambies don't last long and are rarely seen.

Such are the issues of the much less talked about problems of evolution.
Captain Jack
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
could it stand for Angry Male Artisan ?
Possibly... I heard once it stands for Amply Masculine Anteaters, but that's just a rumour.
Balloon Baboon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thunder_chunky)
If a zombie bites a vampire...

Blah! Vampires have standards, you know! We don't just allow anything to bite us. Unless you're a cute Zombie, of course that's a game changer!
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
seriously tho' ... is it true that TSR HQ provides all the staff with their own space hopper to travel around the building ?
She-Ra
  • TSR Community Staff
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not many people know this but there are two possible outcomes:

Zompire - which is a zombie with a superiority complex and an ego bigger than Simon Cowell's. Sometimes the Zompire will malfunction and turn into a zombie bat and attack other bats.

Vambie - a vambie is unfortunate because, like Bambi, has a very innocent mind but sadly, its limbs will randomly fall off until eventually its head also falls off and rolls away somewhere. So vambies don't last long and are rarely seen.

Such are the issues of the much less talked about problems of evolution.
PRSOM!

Tell me more about Zompire and Vambie.....

pretty please

:flutter:
Azurefeline
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why the moving avatar? I've always found it very annoying, honestly.
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
:pirate3:

Ask me anything!
How do you think the culture of the TSR community differs from that of the wider UK student community?
Captain Jack
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lee R)
Captain Jack, biggest troublemaker on the Seven Seas!
Tales of my addiction to cod liver oil are greatly exaggerated. But I am a troublemaker it's true.

Balloon Baboon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Azurefeline)

I find it pretty awesome and I want one!

Tales of my addiction to cod liver oil are greatly exaggerated. But I am a troublemaker it's true.

This is what a man gets for roaming the vast, salty seas! An infatuation to the oil! It's not Rum, Jack. It's just not Rum!
Captain Jack
Rep:
?
(Original post by She-Ra)
PRSOM!

Tell me more about Zompire and Vambie.....

pretty please

:flutter:
OK, She-Ra, as you asked so nicely I will let you into this closely guarded secret.

Zompire and Vambie - as this accident is so rare and seems to always create the two at once - are actually the best of friends. Despite the fact Zompire will never see past his ego to admit this.

Last time it happened, which was about a fortnight ago, there weren't any photos because they wouldn't show up on camera. But I did "obtain" an artists impression of their meeting:

Attached files
Captain Jack
Rep:
?
(Original post by Azurefeline)

Then I shall change it for you! What should I change it to?!
Captain Jack
Rep:
?
(Original post by cole-slaw)
How do you think the culture of the TSR community differs from that of the wider UK student community?
Very interesting question and I think there is a complicated answer. The short answer though, is that TSR has changed dramatically in the last few years whereas before it was more focussed on the very top performing students. It's gradually broadened out to appeal to many more students.

Let's start with the science bit. We know there are just over 4 million students in the UK from GCSE up to degree level (and every other route in between). Of that audience, we know approximately 75% of them visit TSR every month. So the readership must reflect the overall student community in general.

When it comes to people who register and interact with the forums, PMs, shout box and learning tool chat rooms, it is more complicated an answer (FYI: there are likely to be around 250,000 people registering on TSR in the last 12 months alone, which makes this the most popular year for TSR registrations by a mile).

We obviously don't know who all of these people are. But I believe that of the quarter of a million people registering, my bet is that that must be fairly reflective of the overall 4 million student population. Especially at A Level when a significant majority of A Level students in the UK (or planning to study a degree in the UK) will use TSR for study help, to choose their subjects, research uni, get help applying to uni etc.

So, actually, yes I do think the overall community is reflective of the general student population - even if it is skewed to the people who have a higher interest in learning and being successful. That said, the people who are most engaged with their education will actively seek out more help on TSR, which is why you see more people with the top grades talking to one another around education discussions, because they are sometimes the most keen to perform well. That doesn't mean other people aren't reading.

Because TSR's community is so vast, it's impossible for any one individual to read threads and then judge the overall make up of the community. But people will often do this because they believe the people they interact with reflects the wider community (it's human nature, everyone does it - even I do in real life sometimes).

Obviously, there is still more to do to let all students feel welcome no matter who they are. You can see this in the lack of vocational discussion on the site, we need to focus on that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (458)
38.04%
No - but I will (91)
7.56%
No - I don't want to (84)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (571)
47.43%

Watched Threads