Zidane
van Basten
Maradona
Schmeichel
Skinny Ronaldo
Messi
Eusebio
Di Stefano

I would even put Klinsmann, Matthaus and Dino Zoff above Pele.

I might even put Fat Ronaldo above Pele.
Schmeichel? Are you being serious? He's not even the best keeper to play the game :/ (Yashin, Banks, Zoff, Neuer)
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mud4554r)
Ah George Best, one of football's great journeyman's and play boys
The playboy bit was part of his greatness. He did what Messi does in the sense that he was a small guy who used to get kicked all over the park (in a time when referees didn't protect players anything like they do now), but stayed on his feet or dodged challenges and scored amazing goals. He did this despite not having the clean-living super healthy lifestyle that Messi does.

The journeyman bit is completely unfair. In those days, footballers did not earn very much at all. Once he had finished with Man United, he had to earn a living somewhere - so like a lot of the other greats of his time he went to play in well-paid leagues in pleasant surroundings. Today's players don't need to do that (although they still do).
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think it's quite difficult to say; especially when most of us aren't old enough to have ever seen some of those players, other than in a few YouTube clips.

Out of the players who I've actually seen playing full matches on a regular basis, I would choose Messi. I wouldn't say he's at the peak of his powers right now, but a few years ago I think he was at a level that I've never seen any other footballer reach. Particularly in terms of dribbling and trickery at pace, passing and vision, shooting and finishing, raw desire and love of the game, and the way he just fit so well into Barcelona's system, it was easy to see the gulf in class between him and anyone else. Not only that, but in spite of his small build he was also able to stay on his feet after tough challenges, score great headed goals, even make tackles off his own goal line. And he did all this consistently, not just against the minnows, but in the matches where it really mattered too.

I must say though, from the little I have seen of Maradona, I'm not surprised that he's in the running for the best player in history, due to the way you could turn a mediocre team into a title contender just by putting Maradona in.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
Best
Cruyff
Zidane
van Basten
Maradona
Schmeichel
Skinny Ronaldo
Messi
Eusebio
Di Stefano

I would even put Klinsmann, Matthaus and Dino Zoff above Pele.

I might even put Fat Ronaldo above Pele.
I was being generous with the top 10, as I can't be arsed ranking/naming players. Eusebio, Maradona, Messi, Di Stefano and possibly Puskas would have been in there. But yeah, massively overrated player.
Chelsea man
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Emile Heskey
chazwomaq
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That is very true. However Messi has won 4 Ballon D'ors so he must be close right? C Ronaldo is also becoming better, year upon year, so I guess we will have to wait! One thing is for sure though, no player will match Pele's outstanding goalscoring record and achievements with Brazil.
Yeah, in 5-10 years, I suspect these two might be at the top of everyone's GOAT polls.
mud4554r
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
The playboy bit was part of his greatness. He did what Messi does in the sense that he was a small guy who used to get kicked all over the park (in a time when referees didn't protect players anything like they do now), but stayed on his feet or dodged challenges and scored amazing goals. He did this despite not having the clean-living super healthy lifestyle that Messi does.

The journeyman bit is completely unfair. In those days, footballers did not earn very much at all. Once he had finished with Man United, he had to earn a living somewhere - so like a lot of the other greats of his time he went to play in well-paid leagues in pleasant surroundings. Today's players don't need to do that (although they still do).
He didn't have to move over 10 times though haha. He was a magician in every sense of the word. Possibly the greatest winger ever.
Clip
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Schmeichel? Are you being serious? He's not even the best keeper to play the game :/ (Yashin, Banks, Zoff, Neuer)
Difficult to rate keepers. Sure, Zoff was great. Schmeichel won everything at club level over a long period of time and also won the Euros.
mud4554r
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chelsea man)
Emile Heskey
:cool:
Clip
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
I was being generous with the top 10, as I can't be arsed ranking/naming players. Eusebio, Maradona, Messi, Di Stefano and possibly Puskas would have been in there. But yeah, massively overrated player.
Can't stand Puskas. What an absolute knob rocket.
mud4554r
Rep:
?
(Original post by Clip)
Why? What did he do to deserve being called that LOL?
mud4554r
Rep:
?
(Original post by Clip)
Difficult to rate keepers. Sure, Zoff was great. Schmeichel won everything at club level over a long period of time and also won the Euros.
Yashin is the only keeper to win the Ballon d'or
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
What's your issue with him?

A fair inclusion for me.
chazwomaq
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
I would even put Klinsmann...above Pele.
Clip
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by chazwomaq)
Klinsmann has won the World Cup, the Euros and scored hundreds of goals in top European leagues.

Pele has only done one of those - obviously, Pele couldn't play in the Euros and they were rubbish in his day - but most importantly he has nothing to show as a club player - which is more or less the most important thing, rather than turning up to showboat once every four years.

How many of the other greats only played in minor leagues?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There are two different questions here, for me.
One is who is the best at football, and I would probably lean towards Cruyff because you could trust him to play any position on the pitch and do it very very well.
The other is who is the best footballer and to me that means someone who transcends the game and represents football to everyone, fan or not, and that's Pele. His name is synonymous with football and I doubt he'll ever be forgotten.
chazwomaq
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My best team OAT:

Schmeichel

Maldini
Baresi
Beckenbauer
Cafu?? (must be someone better I can't think of)

Best
Matthaus
Maradona

Cruyff
Di Stefano
Pele
mud4554r
Rep:
?
(Original post by chazwomaq)
My best team OAT:

Schmeichel

Maldini
Baresi
Beckenbauer
Cafu?? (must be someone better I can't think of)

Best
Matthaus
Maradona

Cruyff
Di Stefano
Pele
I'd say Yashin instead of Schmeicel and Carlos Alberto instead of Cafu and Messi instead of Di Stefano.
chukster97
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Has to be bendtner
mud4554r
Rep:
?
(Original post by chukster97)
Has to be bendtner
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (227)
39.27%
No - but I will (40)
6.92%
No - I don't want to (41)
7.09%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (270)
46.71%

Watched Threads