The Student Room Group

Girls and pull ups

Scroll to see replies

Tfw pullups are supposedly an endurance exercise according to IOE.

At least I can squat bro :biggrin:
Original post by illusionz

I can probably do 1-2 pullups at best, at least I have my deadlift :smile:
Original post by TooEasy123
I'm acquaintances with a 33 year old woman who can do 15+pullups and 2xBW deadlift. She weights about 63kg and about 5'7, so looks quite built . Performance wise she puts quite a lot of guys to shame. Not only that, her main focus/goals are endurance-based things like obstacle course races and running, so strength is a secondary thing for her.

That's pretty slim... I'm basically that and hardly look "built"! 15 pullups doe... Christ.
Original post by illusionz

:biggrin:

Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
I can probably do 1-2 pullups at best, at least I have my deadlift :smile:

Haha but considering you are like 30kg heavier than me I'm barely out performing you on total weight moved, just doing it at a ton less bodyweight :tongue:.

Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
That's pretty slim... I'm basically that and hardly look "built"! 15 pullups doe... Christ.

Yeah but if we pulled 5kilos of fat off you and replaced it with 5kilos of genuine muscle you'd look totally different at 5'7 on a female frame. Even frame size will make a big difference to what you look like at a certain weight, height and bf%. I bet you're gonna tell me you're not fat and don't have 5kilos of fat that you could reasonably lose, but I'd also bet that you're wrong :biggrin:. A ripped 63kg on the average female 5'7 frame is definitely "built" lel.
Original post by In One Ear
:biggrin:

Haha but considering you are like 30kg heavier than me I'm barely out performing you on total weight moved, just doing it at a ton less bodyweight :tongue:.

Yeah but if we pulled 5kilos of fat off you and replaced it with 5kilos of genuine muscle you'd look totally different at 5'7 on a female frame. Even frame size will make a big difference to what you look like at a certain weight, height and bf%. I bet you're gonna tell me you're not fat and don't have 5kilos of fat that you could reasonably lose, but I'd also bet that you're wrong :biggrin:. A ripped 63kg on the average female 5'7 frame is definitely "built" lel.

Lol I probably do have that amount tbh but I wouldn't want to lose it particularly as I don't like the ripped look. I just don't see why the weight was relevant because it's a pretty low weight for a women.. It's not like "Woah she's massive".
Cant do them even after doing pull down and small pull up exercises (only a little up) I'm 59kg 5'5 I carry a lot of my weight on my hips and legs very skinny up top, I have got stronger ironically since having my daughter she weighs 13 kg now & i lift her up & down all day.
15 pullups doe... Christ.

Aye, and 3 muscle-ups. And a few headstand push-ups. Decent runner too, her main focus
Lol I probably do have that amount tbh but I wouldn't want to lose it particularly as I don't like the ripped look. I just don't see why the weight was relevant because it's a pretty low weight for a women.. It's not like "Woah she's massive".

Fair enough, tbh I don't think many people think the ripped looks is particularly attractive on females :tongue:.

Yeah okay but "quite built" =/= massive and also 15 pullups and a 2x BW deadlift are not particularly impressive anyway. Thats "only" 126kg @63kg... There are plenty of totally skinny people who can DL 126kg or even moderately more. The 15 pullups is definitely quite impressive for a woman though!
Please don't say pull ups are impossible for girls. They just have to train at them.

I don't do weights, don't have that low a % body fat and weigh 52kg at 5'2" and I can regularly do 6 proper pull ups, and I'm gonna work my way to more. I can also do a set of 40 press ups (or at least I cold 6 months ago, haven't tried in a while)
Any girls out there able to do them?

Tried some unassisted ones today and managed maybe 2/3 of the way up. That was it. I can do about 3 chin ups, which is the easier version. Such a hard exercise for women. Or maybe I'm a weakling!

Im a female and don't have any problem doing them. Ive only ever managed 12 but then Ive not built up much strength I dont do proper weight traning. I did 8 or 9 a few weeks ago and filmed it as one arm felt stiffer than the other, in fact heres the vid lol http://vid1293.photobucket.com/albums/b598/raidergalx/20141106_021511126_iOS_zpscqxyquz1.mp4 But yea dont worry about being female I think men tend to be better not just because of more strength but they are more confident and assume they can do things because they are male, women tend to be the opposite but muscle is muscle at the end of the day and can be strengthened.
Fair enough, tbh I don't think many people think the ripped looks is particularly attractive on females :tongue:.

Doesnt ripped just mean slim/toned? I don't get these bodybuilding terms
Original post by Redfrost
Doesnt ripped just mean slim/toned? I don't get these bodybuilding terms

No ripped refers to REALLY low bodyfat levels (so very prominent six pack, veins visible etc). You can be skinny and ripped, medium build and ripped, jacked and ripped or anything in between. It says nothing about muscle levels, though generally no one counts skinny and ripped as ripped as you can achieve that just by eating little and nothing else, so there is an implied baseline of muscle.
No ripped refers to REALLY low bodyfat levels (so very prominent six pack, veins visible etc). You can be skinny and ripped, medium build and ripped, jacked and ripped or anything in between. It says nothing about muscle levels, though generally no one counts skinny and ripped as ripped as you can achieve that just by eating little and nothing else, so there is an implied baseline of muscle.

Thats what i thought as you could class someone who is very lanky/thin as ripped as there would still be some definition. I guess some people like the look and others dont my friend hates the muscly look on guys but i think it looks good on men and women shows dedication that they are fit etc.
I pole dance and we have to do various climbs which are all about arms, I've been working on a seated climb for almost a year now and I can JUST get to the top of the pole. It takes about 3 "pull ups". I use inverted commas because it's not really a pull up but it's a similar thing and I'm proud dammit.:tongue: It is possible to build up that strength and I've done it through 1 pole lesson a week. I did start working on pull ups and chin ups at the gym but since I was signed off work I haven't been able to go, so I just had to stick at it on the pole for aaaages. I have puny arms so I stepped it up a lot lately to focus on those since my core and leg strength are both much better.
Reply 35
Original post by RachaelBee
I pole dance and we have to do various climbs which are all about arms, I've been working on a seated climb for almost a year now and I can JUST get to the top of the pole. It takes about 3 "pull ups". I use inverted commas because it's not really a pull up but it's a similar thing and I'm proud dammit.:tongue: It is possible to build up that strength and I've done it through 1 pole lesson a week. I did start working on pull ups and chin ups at the gym but since I was signed off work I haven't been able to go, so I just had to stick at it on the pole for aaaages. I have puny arms so I stepped it up a lot lately to focus on those since my core and leg strength are both much better.

You know pull ups (and I guess then poll climbs) are more back than arms?
Original post by BKS
You know pull ups (and I guess then poll climbs) are more back than arms?

Yea shoulders and back thats why they shouldnt be that hard to do (fair enough you are lifting your whole body weight) but for some reason most people cant do them.
It's definitely something you can improve on, it's just harder for girls because they tend to carry less muscle on their upper bodies. Can't change genetics.
Reply 38
Work on assisted pull ups with resistance band. Pull ups are hard, (especially if you are big or chubby ) I don't know may girls that can do them, If i can do 5 with 20kg on top of me you should be able to do a few after a it of training.

Quick Reply

Latest