The Student Room Group

Ann Maguire 16 year old killer has been sentenced to a minimum of 20 years

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Obiejess
He's gonna have fun inside

1415057797178.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eh I don't know, he said he loved the adrenaline from killing her, said "good times" as he casually sat back down in class.

Seems the sort to make a shank, slice someone's throat open and smear the blood all over himself.
The sentence is too soft. I think he needs to publicly executed- preferably by stoning
Original post by ESPORTIVA
He'll be out in less than 10 years

Kill him

I can hear the liberals cry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rather than bringing back the death penalty, they could just make sentences tougher in other ways. I'd rather we didn't have the death penalty here.
Reply 23
Original post by DorianGrayism
Yeh technically, personality is still developing during the teenage years.

He probably has a developing psychotic disorder.

Having said that he seemed to murder for the attention rather than anything else.

You need to get pretty detached from reality / other people to murder someone in the way he did. Because of his previous good record I did wonder if he was on medication. Some medication obviously does have mind-altering properties (e.g. Ritalin or Prozac can have a "zombie" effect), but Insulin isn't one of them.
Reply 24
Original post by thunder_chunky
Rather than bringing back the death penalty, they could just make sentences tougher in other ways. I'd rather we didn't have the death penalty here.

You can't really make a sentence much tougher than twenty years with the judge suggesting they will likely never be released.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aj12
You can't really make a sentence much tougher than twenty years with the judge suggesting they will likely never be released.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Life without the possibility of parole right from the get go.
Either way I was more referring to general sentences m my point is, there is a lot more that can be done and we certainly don't neef to resort to the ultimate punishment.
Original post by RumpleForeskin
I would easily vote to bring back the death penalty

And what difference would that have made? He was 16 when he committed this crime. The last 16 year old to be executed in the UK was in 1833.
Original post by DorianGrayism
I don't think you understand the concept of minimum term

Implying this country has a minimum term

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thunder_chunky

How do we make them "tougher"?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by InnerTemple
No he won't.

The 20 years is a minimum term. It is not evern certain that he will get out then - 20 years is the earliest at which he can be considered for release. And even then, it is release on licence.

Finally, somebody on here who has actually bothered to pay attention to the story rather than just jumping on the "he'll be out in ten" bandwagon.
He'll be out in less than 10 years

Kill him

I can hear the liberals cry

Posted from TSR Mobile

No he won't. You can't get out earlier than your minimum sentence without appealing the sentence. Please learn the law before complaining.
Original post by Youis Trollin
With good behavior he will be out in 5 years probably like everyone else no one ever does all their time.

Incorrect. Nobody ever gets out earlier than their minimum term without appealing their sentence.
Original post by james22
No he won't. You can't get out earlier than your minimum sentence without appealing the sentence. Please learn the law before complaining.

This is England.

He'll be out early

Posted from TSR Mobile
And the daily mail has go on about video games AGAIN
This is England.

He'll be out early

Posted from TSR Mobile

He cannot be let out early any more than he can be executed. It is not how the law works. When you are given a minimum sentence you serve at least that in prison. Can you show me a single case of someone with a life sentence getting out before their minimum term?
It should be longer.

If you murder at 16 with little to no motive there's obviously something wrong with you mentally. Being a psycho never 'gets better'. He's a threat to society so should never be let out.
I find it very amusing how whenever a murderer is handed a sentence the media MUST tell us all that it's life with a minimum of 20 years. Well, duh, that's the ONLY sentence they can get.
'The Independent'
Youth justice campaigners have condemned the life sentence handed down to the 16-year-old schoolboy who murdered teacher Ann Maguire as too long.

Will Cornick was sentenced to at least 20 years in jail after pleading guilty to killing the 61-year-old Spanish teacher, who was stabbed seven times from behind as she taught a Spanish class at Corpus Christi Catholic College in Leeds in April.

Mr Justice Coulson told Leeds Crown Court he had increased the normal minimum tariff of 12 years because of the nature of the brutal attack and the teenager’s “total and chilling lack of remorse”. And he warned Cornick that he might never be released.

Cornick attacked Mrs Maguire after boasting to friends that he was going to kill her. He also said he was going to murder other teachers, including a pregnant woman “so as to kill her unborn child”, the court heard.

'The Independent'
However, Penelope Gibbs, who chairs the Standing Committee for Youth Justice (SCYJ), an umbrella group of charities and campaign groups, said the sentence was too harsh.

She told the BBC Radio 4 Today programme: “We are out of line with the whole of western Europe. There are no other countries within western Europe which give children - and this boy is seen as a child under the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child and is in the youth justice system - who would give children a life sentence.”

Ms Gibbs accepted that the sentence had to serve as a punishment, but said there was “no evidence” for the 20-year minimum tariff.

"He was 15 when he did this crime and we would say that you don't need that long to punish."

“The question is - safer society, yes; punishment, yes - but does it need to be more than his lifetime?”

What do people think about this? Please note that I said Will Cornick was 15 years old in the title because he was at the time of the crime. He's now 16.

Cornick does seem to have psychopathic behaviors, but is a sentence of 20 years which is longer than he's even lived appropriate for a child? Should children get more lenient sentences?
The penalty for murder is life, 20 minimum, although there is no specific ruling for a 20 year minmum, normally, as somebody under the age of 18 with nothing in particular, to my knowledge, to warrant 25, 30, or true life he would have 12 minumum
I agree that a 20 year minimum sentence is too long, given his age. Of course he should be punished but it's pretty obvious that he must have had some pretty severe and unaddressed psychological issues. If he gets the help he needs and is successful rehabilitated then I definitely think it's unfair to keep him in jail for 20 years. Obviously, if he continues to show a complete lack of remorse and doesn't change, he deserves to stay in there for longer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending