Opinions on southampton solent university - help!!! Watch

emyley1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SocialSmocial94)
I've heard Southampton can be a little on the rough side in some areas but coming from Croydon, I can't see anything wrong with it lol. Looks like a nice place to be fair (when I look on the net aha), just a heep excited to go now!
You're from croydon? So am I! and the only uni I want to go to is solent! what are you looking to study
Edminzodo
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by emyley1)
You're from croydon? So am I! and the only uni I want to go to is solent! what are you looking to study
I know Croydon! Although I don't live there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1638485
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Indeedy I am I'll keep an eye out for ya . Will you be staying in the halls?
Sorry to interrupt, I'm looking to study multimedia journalism at solent! Have you looked at halls yet? If so, where are you looking to stay? I like the idea of Deanery!
SocialSmocial94
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by emyley1)
Hey bredbin! Lol. I'm going to be studying sports science :-) what will you be studying?
SocialSmocial94
Rep:
?
(Original post by tiff182)
Sorry to interrupt, I'm looking to study multimedia journalism at solent! Have you looked at halls yet? If so, where are you looking to stay? I like the idea of Deanery!
Wicked! Looks like we've made our team already aha :-) I haven't seen them yet I'm going to the open day in December, have you seen the halls then??
SocialSmocial94
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jesse-May)
That's pretty cool, it's always good to aim for something more. I work in a doctors surgery, I'm currently a receptionist, administrator and a secretary all roled into one. I've been wanting to go to uni for the past 3 years and haven't so I really want to go next September without fail. I'm quite happy for them to train me up but I don't plan on staying long term.

I used to spend a lot of time down in Portsmouth and Southampton way when I was really young and it sort of feels like home to me so I know it's where I definitely want to be even if it isn't in the top unis

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's never a bad thing to aim high, the higher the better :-). I've never even been to Southampton so you'll have to show me round :-P. It's really close to Bournemouth as well which I love :-).
username1638485
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wicked! Looks like we've made our team already aha :-) I haven't seen them yet I'm going to the open day in December, have you seen the halls then??
Haha, woo! Ahhh sweet. I haven't but Deanery is similar to halls I've stayed in with friends and my ex partner goes to Bournemouth and it was pretty much the same. What sort of environment are you looking for? I think it'll be nice to be close to everything, simply because it'll be easier to get to different places (including the uni itself). I haven't really looked at the others yet as I know a few are very "tight-knit" community wise... I don't really like the idea of having to make boring conversation with random people, haha. But yeah, the website hasn't been updated much but I think they offer a coach service on the open days to allow you to see halls - let me know how that goes for you!
emyley1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey bredbin! Lol. I'm going to be studying sports science :-) what will you be studying?
I'm looking to study either sports coaching or fitness management and personal training.both with a foundation year
SocialSmocial94
Rep:
?
##
username1638485
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Exactly! I just want everyone to be cool, relaxed and up for a laugh! Whoop whoop team party! Haha. It looks like a busy area with lots to do so that's brill just interested to find out who I'll be living with for my first year mwahh ahaha :-D.

It's only just over an hour away from London as well so you're never too far from the big events and stuff and I just love how close it is to everything including Bournemouth in the summer. As you said, I'd really like a 'tight-knit' community that would be great. I will let you know how the open day goes :-).
Hahaha yep! Where will you be moving from? Yeah, hope everyone is chilled and up for doing new things (atm I feel like I have no time to do anything but study so can't wait to regain my social life, hahaha).

Ah, yeah. That'll be great!! I love London and Bournemouth too. The three places themselves are all so different so it'll be nice to experience different atmospheres! Okie doke - hope it goes well!
SocialSmocial94
Rep:
?
##
username1638485
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you . I'm coming from London and I've lived here since like forever so can't wait to get out and about! Yeah definitely, it's a great location. I just hope they accept me as I haven't actually applied yet but will do within the next few days. Wish ya all the best and maybe I'll see you soon!
That's great! I'll be coming down from near Birmingham so definitely can't wait to move hahah! Yeah, you too! :-)
stolen_dean
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I currently go to solent and its not as Shít as everyone says
Miarae97
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm in the same position!! I've read loads of crap things about solent, people saying it's not a 'real uni' but the few people I've spoken to that go there love it. I really love the look of it online and Southampton town itself looks really good as well. I can't just go by the internet though, I'm going to an open day on the 29th of November I'm hoping I love it when I visit. I went to visit chichester uni and before visiting I was so sure that I would love it and that it would be my first choice but I was so let down by how small and boring it seemed... hoping solent isn't the same!!
SocialSmocial94
Rep:
?
(Original post by Miarae97)
I'm in the same position!! I've read loads of crap things about solent, people saying it's not a 'real uni' but the few people I've spoken to that go there love it. I really love the look of it online and Southampton town itself looks really good as well. I can't just go by the internet though, I'm going to an open day on the 29th of November I'm hoping I love it when I visit. I went to visit chichester uni and before visiting I was so sure that I would love it and that it would be my first choice but I was so let down by how small and boring it seemed... hoping solent isn't the same!!
Yeah I think I'm just gonna ignore what the internet thinks and see what it's like for myself aha Good to see some people on this post who go there and like it though! What do you want to study there? Best of luck!
Howbeit
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I haven't read what other people have said in this thread but I want to give my own unbiased opinions. I have a friend who goes to Solent university and studies Business Management (or Business Studies, something like that) and he hates it. The people he meets are entirely different to him, a lot of them don't care, but some of them do care. The problem with Solent, and I don't think this is restricted to his course, is that there is a huge emphasise on group work to raise the average grade. What happens is, the more able students or those who care, tend to form groups near the start for the group work. My friend got left out of this and now gets put with everyone else. This means most of the time no one tries or when they do, the work is really poor quality. His individual marks have been excellent, but this huge emphasise on group work has dramatically pulled his mark down and he is now looking at a 2.2, which quite frankly, from Solent, is worth not a lot, and definitely not £9,000 a year. He knows this of course but he is sticking it out now because it's better than nothing, but he is exploring other options. It sucks for him, he is a clever guy and shouldn't be in this position.

Aside from this I think the teaching is alright, but as I mentioned previously, it can really vary the group of friends you find. I'm not sure what kind of person you are but he just doesn't fit in (single mum and stuff but middle class). One student obviously isn't representative of Solent but I'm just telling you what I know. On this basis, I would avoid Solent like the plague, especially if there were other options.
Miarae97
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah I think I'm just gonna ignore what the internet thinks and see what it's like for myself aha Good to see some people on this post who go there and like it though! What do you want to study there? Best of luck!
I'm hoping to do fine art there. So in reference to what the guy said about group work, I think it won't be so much of a problem with more practical subjects but Obv that guy is doing business so I can understand why it's probably annoying for him! I am from quite a ... Common area and I reckon if I went to a really posh uni I would feel right out of place. I know alot of people from my area that have gone off to solent so I think making friends will be alright for me!
SocialSmocial94
Rep:
?
##
emyley1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ha! That's what I was thinking! I would stick out like a sore thumb I've lived in Croydon all my life and everytime I leave London people can always tell where I'm from. 'Propaa' lool. The group work thing scares me a touch but hopefully that's not the case. It would suck if I get a ****e grade for someone elses poor work
We'll both stick out! I hope I don't get people who don't care when I'm doing work as I actually really want to get good grades
SocialSmocial94
Rep:
?
##
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 29 Apr '19
  • Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 20 May '19
  • Solent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 8 Jun '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (291)
37.55%
No - but I will (55)
7.1%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.23%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (373)
48.13%

Watched Threads