Mother of 11 month old baby raped by ex boyfriend doesn't want him executed Watch

Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nimrodstower)
USA is a strange phenomena, whilst the rest of the western world seems to be able to change, the US is stuck in an almost Victorian mindset when it comes to crime and punishment, where else can someone receive a 1000 year prison sentence or lock up kids for life without parole. This is what happens when you allow decision making at the hands of inbred village folk.

Execution is not going to solve anything, it never has and never will, if the mother feels it is wrong, for her at least, who are you to call her dumbass, she is hardly asking for his release and given free access to a local kindergarten.
Not particularly elegantly put but I agree with you in principle.
nimrodstower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by vickidc18)
I've actually been kept in custody suite for a night before from 8pm until 3pm the next day, it was a mat on the floor and toilet in the corner, 3 meals not allowed out at all, Actual jail is a lot easier than that you get a real bed, cd player pictures on the walls, books, gym, education & training. Have you seen the prisoners documentry? A lot of the prisoners addicted to drugs or homeless have actually said they prefer being in prison as they can keep clean & receive a lot of support.
I have been both a prisoner and a visitor, I know what it is like. It is true there are institutionalised people, those who cannot cope outside, most of them don't deserve to be in prison, but it is cheaper than the treatment they need.

So your 'custody suite' experience, try that for 11000 days, 30 years, as one of the people I visited served, don't you think they should have some comforts, the screws do, because their lives are on the line. The general population have a much worse time than the lifers' and long term prisoners. You don't really want to believe TV programs and newspapers.
nimrodstower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Chlorophile)
Not particularly elegantly put but I agree with you in principle.
Sorry! I used to be an urban poet.
limetang
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
She is allowed to forgive him and if that is what she is doing then I commend her for that, but the outcome of the trial here should not be her decision, if the courts are to punish crime fairly they must do so by themselves. In western justice we surrender any and all power to punish crime ourselves (or decide punishments for crime) and hand it over to courts of law.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (315)
37.77%
No - but I will (64)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.43%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (393)
47.12%

Watched Threads