About "the jump" Watch

ToLiveInADream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Tbh, the jump is okay to manage...but only if you actually have a good work ethic. You don't even need to do extra work. I've just been doing HW + revision for mini tests when I have them and it's been completely fine.

If you work hard, why not? A*s aren't infeasible, just work hard and you'll get results. Ignore everyone else and do your thing
longsightdon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hate_skl)
Is it because it's hard to learn?
not particularly, I just haven't put too much effort in yet but physics I'm finding the most difficult. personally i find the mark schemes to be quite a bit tighter which is where im losing tonnes of marks
Hate_skl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by ToLiveInADream)
Tbh, the jump is okay to manage...but only if you actually have a good work ethic. You don't even need to do extra work. I've just been doing HW + revision for mini tests when I have them and it's been completely fine.

If you work hard, why not? A*s aren't infeasible, just work hard and you'll get results. Ignore everyone else and do your thing
aha thanks. i have good work ethic so hopefully it'll be fine
Hate_skl
Rep:
?
(Original post by longsightdon)
not particularly, I just haven't put too much effort in yet but physics I'm finding the most difficult. personally i find the mark schemes to be quite a bit tighter which is where im losing tonnes of marks
did you enjoy it at GCSE level?
crayolaguy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What's easy about it?
Well, the grade boundaries and the amount of resources there are and the common questions that come up on the papers every year.
Hate_skl
Rep:
?
(Original post by crayolaguy)
Well, the grade boundaries and the amount of resources there are and the common questions that come up on the papers every year.
So it's kind of like GCSE maths
crayolaguy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So it's kind of like GCSE maths
Well yeah, but a lot harder than that... but not hard.
Hate_skl
Rep:
?
Well yeah, but a lot harder than that... but not hard.
i get itt, thanks and good luck
_-_Ella_-_
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nidfeo)
Maths is harder, but doable, as are your other subjects. If you put your mind to it, not doing tripple shouldn't hold you back, just increase you workload slightly at the start.
I am not sure whether or not to do maths. I am doing additional maths now (ocr) and am not getting good results. My teacher said that plenty struggle with it and then do well at A level however I go to a **** school so good doesn't necessarily mean good.
_-_Ella_-_
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What are the grade boundaries and resources?
aoxa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by _-_Ella_-_)
What are the grade boundaries and resources?
I'm not sure about the grade boundaries, but there are loads of resources - past papers (look on the exam boards website) and there's loads of videos online - try examsolutions, hegartymaths, and themathsteacher (I'm not sure if he does gcse though)

If you get an A at gcse, I don't think there's anything in C1/C2 that will challenge you that much, as most of C1/C2 is building on GCSE, but I found going onto a-level was a big step up C2 to C3 was so hard at first, because its suddenly very different to what you did at GCSE.
CatnipGlows
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
if you get mostly As and some Bs in Maths, bio, Chem and physics for GCSE then take it for A-level and work so much harder then you did for GCSE. you did every past paper in ever topic and you just worked non stop(in the most healthiest way) is there no chance of getting straight A*s? Is A-level maths really just for Maths geniuses? i want straight A*s for A-levels.

I am predicted an A for GCSE maths (although i haven't got one in the mocks yet and i'm in yr 11)
I am predicted an A* for science but i genuinely think i'll get As but i will try really hard to get an A*

last question - i don't do triple science for gCSE, will that hold me back for A-levels when i do bio chem and physics
Straight A*'s is a very big ask at A-level.

Math's isn't that difficult, the only hard bit is when you come to C4, the last A2 module. Biology, again, isn't too bad, as long as you can remember things.
Chemistry is, arguably, the most difficult A-level, it requires a lot of constant work. A/s isn't too bad, but at A2 you have to put an awful lot of work in.
Hate_skl
Rep:
?
(Original post by abbiemac)

Math's isn't that difficult, the only hard bit is when you come to C4, the last A2 module. Biology, again, isn't too bad, as long as you can remember things.
Chemistry is, arguably, the most difficult A-level, it requires a lot of constant work. A/s isn't too bad, but at A2 you have to put an awful lot of work in.
I think A*s are defo possible as long as you are willing to put the work in, which i am. I'm quite worried about the amount of work i have to do vs the amount of time i have
ETRC
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Physics is much harder than Chem imo
I only did revision for chemistry a few months before the exam and got 90+% UMS in AS. I was too lazy in lessons and one of my teachers thought I would fail lol. I only managed like 85%ums in physics.
It depends on if you are good at memorising information or not.
CatnipGlows
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ETRC)
Physics is much harder than Chem imo
I only did revision for chemistry a few months before the exam and got 90+% UMS in AS. I was too lazy in lessons and one of my teachers thought I would fail lol. I only managed like 85%ums in physics.
It depends on if you are good at memorising information or not.
Yeah, I don't do physics so I can't compare really. (Well I did a bit of A/s but not much)
But chemistry a/s is a lot easier than chemistry A2, the jump is bigger than from gcse- a/s imo
ETRC
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, I don't do physics so I can't compare really. (Well I did a bit of A/s but not much)
But chemistry a/s is a lot easier than chemistry A2, the jump is bigger than from gcse- a/s imo
My school started Unit 2 first in chem so i don't know how much harder it is than unit 1 in A2. And the jump from gcse to as was very small imo
CatnipGlows
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ETRC)
My school started Unit 2 first in chem so i don't know how much harder it is than unit 1 in A2. And the jump from gcse to as was very small imo
Yeah, well I'd say that about all my subjects really. I get biol, chem and maths and didn't find the jump big at all, the only think was maths as it was completely different work we were doing. But in terms of work load and such, I didn't find any of them that much more difficult.

Aah, what you mean CH5 in chem?
Edminzodo
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It was a huge jump for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1377964
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
From my experience, science A levels (I take bio and chem) are far more detailed. The material can be complicated but not mind boggling. It just takes work. They occupy a lot of time and you must be committed to always completing work outside of lessons; generally an hour for every hour at school is recommended but realistically it's about a one hour at home for every two in lesson ratio. Maths is difficult but, as with all A levels, the jump is doable. I got an A* at GCSE and have achieved As in tests, but at the same time, I've also only got a C on several occasions. I'd say if you get an A at GCSE, you would be expected to get a B or a C at A level but this is all dependent on your level of work. If I did no work outside of lessons, I would probably got a C despite my A* at GCSE, whereas someone with a B at GCSE might put in lots of work and come out with an A. At A level it is far easier to fail though. At GCSE, the A* mark for many papers in science can be about 60%, whereas in A level this would be a C or a D (Also take into account the material is much harder). Overall though, I think the jump is over hyped. The work is definitely far far far far harder, but it is not impossible as it is made out to be. It's all about your commitment. Those who work achieve and those who do not, fail. Getting straight A*s at A level would be a major achievement. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but you have to get 90% in a lot of modules which is incredibly difficult. Whereas at GCSE, at least a few people in every year get majority A*s. No not taking triple science wont hold you back as the material is totally new
ETRC
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, well I'd say that about all my subjects really. I get biol, chem and maths and didn't find the jump big at all, the only think was maths as it was completely different work we were doing. But in terms of work load and such, I didn't find any of them that much more difficult.

Aah, what you mean CH5 in chem?
Is it the unit with transition metals, acids and enthalpy?
I don't know what exam board that is, I do OCR
And the work load was a bit more but very doable
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (399)
37.64%
No - but I will (82)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (75)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (504)
47.55%

Watched Threads