Thierry Henry played his last ever game tonight Watch

Eboracum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thierry Henry is an icon and a titanic figure. He was probably my favourite opposition player ever. He has style, charisma, and was terrifying to play against. A legend.

(Original post by Wilfred Little)
No, in the PL it's Henry.
Cristiano Ronaldo is the best player that has ever played in the Premier League.
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's not the question though.
Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think it's also worth saying that he also did it all with a distinct sense of class that is rare in football these days. True gentleman and a solid role model.

The funniest thing I always found about watching him is that goals just happened around him. In the same way watching Suarez at the world cup, when the ball got to him you would just tense up at a match and wait for him to score.

Plus he really forced the referees to check the rule book every match to see if what he was doing was allowed :lol:

Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
The funniest thing I always found about watching him is that goals just happened around him. In the same way watching Suarez at the world cup, when the ball got to him you would just tense up at a match and wait for him to score.
I remember him scoring that goal at Highbury when the ball came off the post, hit his leg and just went in. He looked at the crowd and laughed and shrugged. Class act.

He was always good value in post-match interviews, too. Arsenal weren't the most likeable of teams back then, but he gave them a certain charm and wit.
Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mackay)
I remember him scoring that goal at Highbury when the ball came off the post, hit his leg and just went in. He looked at the crowd and laughed and shrugged. Class act.

He was always good value in post-match interviews, too. Arsenal weren't the most likeable of teams back then, but he gave them a certain charm and wit.

Yeah! :lol:

Weren't they? It's hard to see from the outside.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)

Weren't they? It's hard to see from the outside.
I always respected players like Bergkamp and Henry for their ability, and Ljungberg for his dyed hair, but I couldn't stand Vieira/Campbell/Keown and Lehmann back then personally. Pires, too.

United 06-09 is still my most hated team of all-time, though.
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Fideo)
Not the PLs greatest ever player though.

If it's overall career then Giggs, if it's high point then Ronaldo.
I wonder which club you support :rolleyes:
Eboracum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Arkasia)
It doesn't matter who he supports. His post was correct.
Fideo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Meanwhile you're an Arsenal fan in a debate regarding Henry?
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Eboracum)
It doesn't matter who he supports. His post was correct.
No, it wasn't. This discussion isn't even relevant to the OP, but I shall indulge you.

I think Henry was the best player to have ever played in the league. I will repeat the relevant part. To have played in the league. Ronaldo didn't peak until his Real Madrid career, and he certainly was not better than Henry when he was playing for Man Utd.

As for Giggs. I still think Henry was better, but since they played different roles, that is up for debate. As for the 'medals' argument, that has it's flaws, as it would suggest that David May was a better PL footballer than Steven Gerrard, having 2 PL medals to Gerrard's 0.
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Fideo)
Meanwhile you're an Arsenal fan in a debate regarding Henry?
Shall we look at all of the non-Arsenal fans in this thread who share a similar viewpoint then?
Fideo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Shall we look at all of the non-Arsenal fans in this thread who share a similar viewpoint then?
http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/k...ns-awards.html

A few 18-25 year olds on a forum or an official panel of judges?

Not that I'm saying the 20 season awards is the definitive answer, but if your argument is based on "a few people said it" rather than a proper discussion...
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Fideo)
http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/k...ns-awards.html

A few 18-25 year olds on a forum or an official panel of judges?

Not that I'm saying the 20 season awards is the definitive answer, but if your argument is based on "a few people said it" rather than a proper discussion...
Over 20 seasons he was undoubtedly the best, but that's probably because he was one of the top for all of those years. That is different to saying he is the best player. In the years Henry was here (particularly 03-06) he was unstoppable. It's like the difference between someone playing at an 8 for 2 years, or someone playing at a 10 for one. Peaked higher, for a smaller amount of time.

Also, it is not a minority voting for Henry, he was voted best player in the past decade a few years ago, favourite player ever in the PL, and won many awards (as did Giggs, I know, but it is not as simple as bringing up one vote).
Fideo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Over 20 seasons he was undoubtedly the best, but that's probably because he was one of the top for all of those years. That is different to saying he is the best player. In the years Henry was here (particularly 03-06) he was unstoppable. It's like the difference between someone playing at an 8 for 2 years, or someone playing at a 10 for one. Peaked higher, for a smaller amount of time.

Also, it is not a minority voting for Henry, he was voted best player in the past decade a few years ago, favourite player ever in the PL, and won many awards (as did Giggs, I know, but it is not as simple as bringing up one vote).
And Ronaldo peaked even higher, for an even smaller amount of time. Which was my point, if it's peak then Ronaldo, if it's the total over the entirety of the PL then it's Giggs. I don't see how it can be Henry unless you twist it into his 5 years winning it over Ronaldo's 2, but dismiss Giggs despite him having 20?

edit: an argument could probably be made for Bale and Suarez being roughly at Ronaldo's level, but there's was only 1 season.
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Fideo)
And Ronaldo peaked even higher, for an even smaller amount of time. Which was my point, if it's peak then Ronaldo, if it's the total over the entirety of the PL then it's Giggs. I don't see how it can be Henry unless you twist it into his 5 years winning it over Ronaldo's 2, but dismiss Giggs despite him having 20?

edit: an argument could probably be made for Bale and Suarez being roughly at Ronaldo's level, but there's was only 1 season.
There is a limit, and 1 season is quite clearly ridiculous. Henry was probably best in the league for around 5 seasons in a row when you factor in assists, goals, and teammates. Ronaldo's one season could have been seen as purple patch for that time, as he went from around 20 goals to 40 then back to 20 (although his Madrid career shows he NOW plays at that level every season). Again, if we were to say over the PL era, Giggs could be said to be the best due to his consistency, although the individual was the 'best' in terms of quality was probably Henry, and Ronaldo's one season, as you said, could be compared to Suarez.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's a group of MU fans on here who just enter threads to feel the glory every single time.

The Giggs/20 seasons thing. **** argument, applying the same reasoning would make Gary Speed #2 (or at least top three, I don't know or care about the exact appearance numbers). Best longevity =/= best player.

On pure talent and performance level in the PL, Henry is #1. Ronaldo would be holding hands with Suarez somewhere.

I've got no axe to grind, don't give a **** about either MU or Arsenal.

I would actually go as far as saying Pires was better than Giggs also.
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As an Irish Tottenham supporter, it's fair to say I'll be much more sad to see Robbie Keane go than this fella
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Green_Pink)
As an Irish Tottenham supporter, it's fair to say I'll be much more sad to see Robbie Keane go than this fella
Irish AND a Spurs fan? God, you are literally the last person on earth who could be accused of being a glory supporter.
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Irish AND a Spurs fan? God, you are literally the last person on earth who could be accused of being a glory supporter.
Haha, so true! Always entertaining to watch though and I often find my football and my soaps have been rolled into one so there is that
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Green_Pink)
Haha, so true! Always entertaining to watch though and I often find my football and my soaps have been rolled into one so there is that
This is risky subject to touch on, but RoI or NI?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.76%
No - but I will (98)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (607)
47.65%

Watched Threads