I don't want to go to university but I've applied anyway Watch

lmk97
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Scott_6969)
Are you trying to say people that drink and/or have one night stands are not moral? Why do you think this?
Getting drunk is immoral, as is sleeping around.

Alcohol in and of itself isn't immoral, it depends on the person drinking it; of course drinking is a social activity, however when people drink in order to get off their face (which the majority if youth today do) they are not respecting themselves (their bodies and their worth) nor the people around them. (When people are drunk they may simply be overly merry, however there are some people fight, are sick all over other people's property, require around the clock attention either from their friends or perhaps even in hospital - meaning they are selfishly taking a bed which could be used by someone else in A and E who has not inflicted their injuries upon themselves. - of course these are in extreme cases, but in more moderate ones people swear more often when they're drunk, they could break things etc)

Sleeping around/having one night stands is more often than not a result of the former. A One night stand is an absolute abuse, it abuses both purposes of sex (procreation and bonding in a relationship) whilst it simultaneously has devastating consequences on both parties: Pregnancy in a unstable and usually non existent relationship, STDs, long term psychological effects, emotional attachment issues.

Thus both of them are evidently immoral, the latter more so then the former: however drinking to get drunk usually catalyses such immoral behaviour

Oh what a sad world we live in
lmk97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Holmstock)
There are plenty of women who with hindsight would say that you have the right idea - have your children first, put your energies into homemaking, when you are young and fit; you can then pursue a career later, by which time you are likely to have a much clearer idea of what you would like to do with your (post kids) life and whether that will need a degree - and you will still have your entitlement to financial support intact. Starting a career and then having to put it on hold is tricky at the best of times.

For instance, I think this year's Bake-Off winner didn't study for her MBA until she was 40.
Thank you very much, not many people say that as they think I'm being immature and stupid but I personally think I'm being the opposite.

That's interesting to hear, I didn't know that but she seems like an excellent mother and wife. Something I wish to be one day.
coffeecakey
Badges: 6
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Holmstock)
For instance, I think this year's Bake-Off winner didn't study for her MBA until she was 40.
You can study for a degree, have kids, work, then go back to University again for another, more impressive degree Cycle of life for the modern woman?
Scott_6969
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lmk97)
Getting drunk is immoral, as is sleeping around.

Alcohol in and of itself isn't immoral, it depends on the person drinking it; of course drinking is a social activity, however when people drink in order to get off their face (which the majority if youth today do) they are not respecting themselves (their bodies and their worth) nor the people around them. (When people are drunk they may simply be overly merry, however there are some people fight, are sick all over other people's property, require around the clock attention either from their friends or perhaps even in hospital - meaning they are selfishly taking a bed which could be used by someone else in A and E who has not inflicted their injuries upon themselves. - of course these are in extreme cases, but in more moderate ones people swear more often when they're drunk, they could break things etc)

Sleeping around/having one night stands is more often than not a result of the former. A One night stand is an absolute abuse, it abuses both purposes of sex (procreation and bonding in a relationship) whilst it simultaneously has devastating consequences on both parties: Pregnancy in a unstable and usually non existent relationship, STDs, long term psychological effects, emotional attachment issues.

Thus both of them are evidently immoral, the latter more so then the former: however drinking to get drunk usually catalyses such immoral behaviour

Oh what a sad world we live in
while I agree on those who get smashed, while drunk, I think moderately(4-5 beers is ok also is their anything really bad about swearing. I completely disagree about one night stands, if it is contsentual sex I believe it is ok. Especially as it doesn't hurt anyone. Especially If a condom is used.
lmk97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Scott_6969)
while I agree on those who get smashed, while drunk, I think moderately(4-5 beers is ok also is their anything really bad about swearing. I completely disagree about one night stands, if it is contsentual sex I believe it is ok. Especially as it doesn't hurt anyone. Especially If a condom is used.
Yes there is, swearing is disrespectful,

It's impossible for one night stands to not hurt anyone, 'no strings attached' is a fallacy. By its nature, sex is a unitive act. To deny that, is to deny its nature. It is physically impossible to be any closer to someone than to have sex with them. Condoms merely are a physical barrier, they fail to shield a person's attachments, feelings etc.

If something is consensual it means that the decision made by both parties is absolutely free, in other words the decision made is not blurred, I.e. They have used their reason to make it. They have considered the physical consequences as well as the emotional ones . Thus if it is tainted either by alcohol, by drugs, by having sex in order to get over his/her ex, by lust, etc, it is not a free choice. Thus it is not truly consensual.
Any one who truly and freely using their reason can see that a one night stand is
A) an act of absolute disrespect and dishonour
>>> to themselves, the other person involved
B) an absolute perversion of what the conjugal act is intended to be (unitive and procreative)
C) highly irresponsible
D) founded solely on lust
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lmk97)
...A One night stand is an absolute abuse, it abuses both purposes of sex (procreation and bonding in a relationship) whilst it simultaneously has devastating consequences on both parties: Pregnancy in a unstable and usually non existent relationship, STDs, long term psychological effects, emotional attachment issues.
(Original post by lmk97)
It's impossible for one night stands to not hurt anyone, 'no strings attached' is a fallacy. By its nature, sex is a unitive act. To deny that, is to deny its nature. It is physically impossible to be any closer to someone than to have sex with them. Condoms merely are a physical barrier, they fail to shield a person's attachments, feelings etc.

If something is consensual it means that the decision made by both parties is absolutely free, in other words the decision made is not blurred, I.e. They have used their reason to make it. They have considered the physical consequences as well as the emotional ones . Thus if it is tainted either by alcohol, by drugs, by having sex in order to get over his/her ex, by lust, etc, it is not a free choice. Thus it is not truly consensual.
Any one who truly and freely using their reason can see that a one night stand is
A) an act of absolute disrespect and dishonour
>>> to themselves, the other person involved
B) an absolute perversion of what the conjugal act is intended to be (unitive and procreative)
C) highly irresponsible
D) founded solely on lust
Your arrogance is breathtaking and matched only by your lack of reason.

You state that sex has only two purposes, procreation and bonding within a relationship. This view, presumably handed down to you by your religion, is simply not true. Through the ages, sex has never been solely for those two purposes, therefore undermining your argument. For example, it can be out of affection or, perhaps more commonly, simply for the pure physical joy it brings.

As for stating that anyone who has a one night stand is simply a lustful pervert (see A-D above) you are insulting millions of decent people.

I am rather glad that you have decided not to go to university; you are clearly not ready to benefit. Perhaps this thread should be closed and if you wish to argue your case about morals, then perhaps you should do it elsewhere?
Scott_6969
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Your arrogance is breathtaking and matched only by your lack of reason.

You state that sex has only two purposes, procreation and bonding within a relationship. This view, presumably handed down to you by your religion, is simply not true. Through the ages, sex has never been solely for those two purposes, therefore undermining your argument. For example, it can be out of affection or, perhaps more commonly, simply for the pure physical joy it brings.

As for stating that anyone who has a one night stand is simply a lustful pervert (see A-D above) you are insulting millions of decent people.

I am rather glad that you have decided not to go to university; you are clearly not ready to benefit. Perhaps this thread should be closed and if you wish to argue your case about morals, then perhaps you should do it elsewhere?
Well said
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (249)
38.97%
No - but I will (44)
6.89%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.36%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (299)
46.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed