Do Muslims often marry outside their race? Watch

StyleIcon
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm just curious. Obviously, I've seen it happen here and there. I've seen an Iraqi woman with a Pakistani man, an Egyptian man with a Syrian woman and so on.

So I was wondering if any of you TSR Muslim, girls (& boys) have any issues with marrying outside of your race? Or would you prefer your spouse to be the same race as you?

I wouldn't mind marrying someone outside my race as long as he's on his deen. However, my dad would have a BIG problem with it 😂😂
Ravenous
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by karmacrunch)
That's what was thinking. :erm:

Look at the question you asked. :lolwut:

Islam isn't an ethnic groups, it's a religion. I'm confused by your point. Do you mean specific Muslims? E.g. Do asian Muslims often marry outside their race? Even then the question is still very broad.
(Original post by PacifistxFuture)
LOL. You mean marrying outside your religion. Its a religion, not race.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP is asking if Muslims would be willing to marry someone outside of their race, for example an Arab with a Pakistani or an Afghan with a Somali etc. Don't see why that's so hard to understand.
kabuligirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ravenous)
OP is asking if Muslims would be willing to marry someone outside of their race, for example an Arab with a Pakistani or an Afghan with a Somali etc. Don't see why that's so hard to understand.
I know it's an example but Afghan with a Somali? I actually want to see that lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
sabzirox
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Culturally i've seen this to be a problem in a lot of narrow minded families, especially south asian and arab families but all in all, in the western muslim world i'd say yeah many muslims do. My cousin married a Scottish-Australian convert two years ago.
Mr...
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
Since when was Islam a race?
My thoughts exactly:yep:
kabuligirl
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mr...)
My thoughts exactly:yep:

OP is asking if Muslims would be willing to marry someone outside of their race, for example an Arab with a Pakistani or an Afghan with a Somali etc. Don't see why that's so hard to understand

Posted from TSR Mobile
Espeon196
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My anon posts don't seem to show so I'll just post using this new account.

Basically, I am a Muslim guy and the girl I am hoping to marry is from a different ethnicity to me.
I have looked into this and why it causes conflicts in some families.
kabuligirl
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Espeon196)
My anon posts don't seem to show so I'll just post using this new account.

Basically, I am a Muslim guy and the girl I am hoping to marry is from a different ethnicity to me.
I have looked into this and why it causes conflicts in some families.
Ooh that's dope! What are your ethnicities?
I think the only reason that it creates conflict is the cultural differences and how families want the culture kept

Posted from TSR Mobile
Espeon196
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kabuligirl)
Ooh that's dope! What are your ethnicities?
I think the only reason that it creates conflict is the cultural differences and how families want the culture kept

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am Indian and she is Arab. And that isn't the only reason. It is the main reason but I've found quite a few more.
ceej1979
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Human's are genetically programmed to like people similar to themselves.

Most white guys go out with white girls. Let's be honest.

It's nothing to do with religion or culture.

People are just attracted to people like themselves
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wouldn't necessarily mind marrying someone outside of my race.

However in our culture, people tend to maintain very strong ties with their parents, siblings and extended families even as adults. You're likely to see them almost every day due to living near them, or perhaps even living with them during your first few years of married life. It's not just a case of visiting them on special occasions.

Therefore marriage is not really just between two people who go off and start a completely new family of their own. Rather, it's an addition of a new person to a family that is already quite large. Ideally, a wife should be able to integrate seamlessly with her husband's family, and become more like a daughter rather than a daughter-in-law, more like a sister than a sister-in-law etc. and vice-versa.

It's much easier for this to happen if your spouse is from a similar social and cultural background as yourself, and so I personally would value this in any potential suitors. This would mean that they are, not necessarily, but most likely going to be of the same racial background as me as well.
Espeon196
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ceej1979)

Well that theory didn't work with me.
Espeon196
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tazarooni89)
I wouldn't necessarily mind marrying someone outside of my race.

However in our culture, people tend to maintain very strong ties with their parents, siblings and extended families even as adults. You're likely to see them almost every day due to living near them, or perhaps even living with them during your first few years of married life. It's not just a case of visiting them on special occasions.

Therefore marriage is not really just between two people who go off and start a completely new family of their own. Rather, it's an addition of a new person to a family that is already quite large. Ideally, a wife should be able to integrate seamlessly with her husband's family, and become more like a daughter rather than a daughter-in-law, more like a sister than a sister-in-law etc. and vice-versa.

It's much easier for this to happen if your spouse is from a similar social and cultural background as yourself, and so I personally would value this in any potential suitors. This would mean that they are, not necessarily, but most likely going to be of the same racial background as me as well.
You mentioned 'our culture'. Just out of interest, which culture is this?
Jstanothagirl16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Most likely Indian/Pakistani/Bengali they usually live with extended family and prefer to stick within their culture/race

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gambit92
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

No.

Otherwise interracial relationships wouldn't exist. I'm a white guy and I'm attracted to good looking women.
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
British Indian (still leaning more towards the Indian side in that regard).
Espeon196
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tazarooni89)
British Indian (still leaning more towards the Indian side in that regard).
Same culture as me. But to be honest I don't really follow the culture, and neither does my family so the cultural element doesn't affect me.
Ribbit1234
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I can relate more to other British born n bred Muslims of any ethnicity than I can with indian Muslims in india so what youre saying isnt actually true
Ribbit1234
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i wouldn't mind what race they are as long as they're Muslim
Espeon196
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ribbit1234)
I can relate more to other British born n bred Muslims of any ethnicity than I can with indian Muslims in india so what youre saying isnt actually true
This is exactly how me and my friends feel. They said the thought of going back there to get married to someone from there scares them.
It would be impossible for me as I don't even speak the language anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (234)
39.39%
No - but I will (40)
6.73%
No - I don't want to (43)
7.24%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (277)
46.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise