What do you feel when you listen to this music? Watch

VannR
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't have any problem with opera as a form of music; I appreciate it as a valid form of artistic and emotional expression. However, I find the fact that I cannot understand a word that anyone is saying in an opera to really put me off listening to it.
member327593
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
honestly - most of the times very happy, if not euphoria
white boy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Birkenhead)
I don't see how it is pretentious to humourously sign off in the language being used in the music.

Please exit the thread.
exit the thread? thank you for this instruction. if you hadn't said that i was just going to live in the thread forever...
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by VannR)
I don't have any problem with opera as a form of music; I appreciate it as a valid form of artistic and emotional expression. However, I find the fact that I cannot understand a word that anyone is saying in an opera to really put me off listening to it.
That's a decent point. Of course there are many English-language operas, but most of them and the best of them are Italian or German. I would also suggest that although you may not know what exactly is going on, tone of voice, facial expression etc. allow some meaning to be got.

Personally, I have found that the libretto is the worst part of an opera. When you see a subtitled production or read a translation alongside the music, it's actually quite disappointing to learn what is going on. An aria from Ill Viaggio a Reims has Countess Folleville announcing what sounds like some epic quest; she is actually just talking about her hat. For me, the lyrics are just the bone around which the flesh of the music can find form.

I have always enjoyed trying to work out what is going on myself, and often I have projected my own meanings into arias. The antipenultimate aria I posted, sung by Samuel Ramey, is about a Babylonian prince, but can just as easily be imagined as Milton's Satan going through the motions of mournfully adjusting to Hell and then swearing revenge on God.

(Original post by A100whoo)
honestly - most of the times very happy, if not euphoria
Interesting - you mean opera?
Smash Bandicoot
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
OP would you be partial to some 'classical' video game music? [E.g. Final Fantasy Distant Worlds]

Also, are you a fan of Gilbert and Sullivan?
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
OP would you be partial to some 'classical' video game music? [E.g. Final Fantasy Distant Worlds]
I'm not sure, I haven't heard a lot of it.

Also, are you a fan of Gilbert and Sullivan?
I saw Pirates of Penzance and enjoyed it, and the character Iolanthe is interesting to me but otherwise don't have much experience.
spanker
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Interesting stuff. Do you know what they're saying?
Not a clue, I just listen because I like the rhythm and the sound of their voices.
Some of their songs are in Gaelic others in English and sometimes mixed like that one. (I'm guessing they are singing in Gaelic)
louieee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what is opera about do the singers sing about hoes weed and young money or is it all about grapes and posh
catrinana
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
x
For me personally, I very rarely listen to it since it's just one of those genres that I personally find quite hard to... connect to, if that makes sense? As you said in the original post, sometimes it's harder to find new music in genres that aren't as 'popular' nowadays, and opera in particular can sometimes seem to almost blend together a bit - a lot of it sounds very similar to me, as I'm not used to listening to it.
It wouldn't be something I would immediately think to go and listen to, since it's not a genre I'm very familiar with and I don't keep any opera songs on my ipod/phone - I'd only really be reminded of it when a post like this comes up. However, I don't dislike it when I do listen to it.
DJMayes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Honestly I mostly just feel a little bored if I listen to it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.84%
No - but I will (98)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (604)
47.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed