Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Omar717)
    Thanks, I'll make sure to keep that in mind.
    Its very difficult, especially as a foreigner like me. But if you did it, you are born to be an orator, an essayist for sure. ubnfortunately I did not it, as I have had some grammar problems in English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Its very difficult, especially as a foreigner like me. But if you did it, you are born to be an orator, an essayist for sure. ubnfortunately I did not it, as I have had some grammar problems in English.
    Hey don't worry, just keep trying is what I always say. This reminds of the fact I have a foreigner in my English class(from Italy)and he ain't the best, however he certainly is a really bright pupil because of his effort to do the best in fact in some subjects—more maths and science related—he tends to do better than me at times. Anyway I don't think I'm 'born to be an orator' lol I'm not that good, although I haven't got my crit essay back yet so...

oh yes I also just received my textual analysis nab mark and, while it's far from the best, it's definitely decent; 22/30

I'm just glad I didn't fail
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    x
    I don't know how essays are rated in UK, but far away in foreign countries in which English is a foreign language, essays are rated in three categories: mistakes, writing style and content. And so the overall mark is determined.

I am pretty well, mostly at least. But the mistakes have ruined almost a good essay.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how essays are rated in UK, but far away in foreign countries in which English is a foreign language, essays are rated in three categories: mistakes, writing style and content. And so the overall mark is determined.

I am pretty well, mostly at least. But the mistakes have ruined almost a good essay.
    In the UK markers seem to be a little bit more lenient with grammar mistakes as long as they're infrequent especially considering the pressure candidates are in as well as time constraints. Getting simple words incorrect a lot will obviously deduct marks though. For the most part they appear to be marked similarly. As long as you have a brilliant writing style; sophisticated, detailed analysis and an in-depth understanding of the text then you usually tend to do well.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    In the UK markers seem to be a little bit more lenient with grammar mistakes as long as they're infrequent especially considering the pressure candidates are in as well as time constraints. Getting simple words incorrect a lot will obviously deduct marks though. For the most part they appear to be marked similarly. As long as you have a brilliant writing style; sophisticated, detailed analysis and an in-depth understanding of the text then you usually tend to do well.
    In foreign languages there are two aspects which are considered, namely English knowledge AND the quality of an essay. From this point of view the requirements in foreign countries seems to be harder than in UK.

ReputationRep:
    In foreign languages there are two aspects which are considered, namely English knowledge AND the quality of an essay. From this point of view the requirements in foreign countries seems to be harder than in UK.
    I didn't say that quality isn't taken into account, because it most certainly is, perhaps I just worded it wrong. I've seen an essay which has been awarded near full marks and had an error in the grammar, however because it wasn't done frequently and the rest of the essay was so eloquently put together the pros far outweighed the cons to the point of negligence. Writing style, as I stated, is vastly important and doesn't extend to such grammar; but also punctuation and complex sentence structure. If it's one mistake and it doesn't happen again then you(typically)don't lose a mark.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 2, 2014

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.