Turn on thread page Beta

Do you believe in soul mates? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you believe in soul mates?
    Yes
    27.78%
    Yes, but they are very rare
    31.48%
    I won't believe it until I see evidence
    16.67%
    Absolutely not
    24.07%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by az08)
    Yes because I finally met her a couple of months ago
    :five:

I met mine too, a couple of months ago
    Tbh, after realising my love for him and us being together, I started believing more in soul mates

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mankytoes)
    But people do die without meeting someone they love. Children die. Why isn't this universal force working for them? Or does it not care about things like cancer, just certain people's love lives? Why are you so special that it is going to find you love, when other people can't find clean water?

That's like the old question, if someone offered to inject you with a substance that would make you go into a coma, but you'd imagine a perfect life that would be so happy, you'd never have any clue it wasn't real, would you take it? Clearly you would. For me, liberty and freedom are more important. Truth is important in itself.
    I find using poor African children as the argument for everything a bit annoying really. Lovely that you'd like to blame me for wanting to be happy, sorry but not sorry. Life is unfair, deal with it. I am grateful that I was born in a family that is not starving but it doesn't mean that I can't be sad. Thanks again for providing a perfect example of ad hominem fallacy but I am not going to get into an argument with someone who does that. Besides, how do you know that the world you live in is physically real? How do you know that you're not just a brain in a vat? Actually the simulation argument has more "truth" in it than your argument about people without water. I personally do not think that there is an universal truth as there are just different beliefs. And if you can't cope with that I recommend educating yourself eg. by reading a TOK text book at least. Ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhelof)
    I find using poor African children as the argument for everything a bit annoying really. Lovely that you'd like to blame me for wanting to be happy, sorry but not sorry. Life is unfair, deal with it. I am grateful that I was born in a family that is not starving but it doesn't mean that I can't be sad. Thanks again for providing a perfect example of ad hominem fallacy but I am not going to get into an argument with someone who does that. Besides, how do you know that the world you live in is physically real? How do you know that you're not just a brain in a vat? Actually the simulation argument has more "truth" in it than your argument about people without water. I personally do not think that there is an universal truth as there are just different beliefs. And if you can't cope with that I recommend educating yourself eg. by reading a TOK text book at least. Ridiculous.
    Well I'm not using it for "everything", but if you're talking about universal forces of balance it seems relevant.

I have no idea why you would need to believe in something like this to be happy. I've got a beautiful girlfriend who I love. Why would that not make me happy? Because I don't think there's some illogical, ill defined universal force sorting my life out? Surely it's more self fulfilling that I've done something to earn my happiness? Your beliefs are as unnecessary as they are irrational.

I don't know why you think I'm guilty of ad hominem (and it's funny that you say you aren't going to get into an argument in the middle of writing an argument), everything I wrote related to your argument, not you personally (as I know literally nothing about you, I don't even know how I'd make such an argument).

I don't know that anything is real, I just hope it is. I want it to be real. I can only search for truth the best I can. It just upsets me a bit that so many people are willing to accept as truth something that sounds vaguely comforting, when there's no real logic to it whatsoever.

Of course there is universal truth, that's what most science is. You could destroy all life on earth above bacteria, and if, in billions of years, life evolved to intelligent forms again, they would rediscover Newton's Laws, atomic structure, Pythagorus' therum.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if i believe in soulmates, but I like the idea of it. I like the idea of having this one person that you are made for.

ReputationRep:
    I'm vehemently against the idea of soulmates. Come on now. The vast majority of the happy couples I know are people who are shacked up with people who grew up three miles apart. Coincidence? I think not.

For every person you find, are attracted to, could marry / live / have children with, there are thousands of others that you either passed up on, or never met.

Soulmates, like anything, is just a comfort blanket; an idealistic, fabricated notion.

ReputationRep:
    'Soul mate' is just an overly romanticised word for life partner. If you have a loving relationship for a long period of time, your connection with them grows stronger, to a point where, if you're without said person, you almost feel disconnected from the world. Once this happens, the imagination runs wild, so now people think that this person is their soul mate and it could not of been anybody else.

It isn't pre-destined, you choose who your soulmate is and they choose you.

ReputationRep:
    soul mates and love at first sight are different...i don't believe in the former but i do believe in the latter

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2014
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.