Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    Many of the slaves were being sold to Europeans by African slavers, so if you want to go down this road, surely West Indian and North American Black people, should receive money both from Europeans and West Africans?
    Who bought the slaves? White people

Who benefited? White people

Who preyed on the desperateness of Africa as a whole to the point where people used their own as a meal ticket? White people

Who stole africa diamonds? white people

Who stole africa oil? white people

Let's be real the West as a whole used Africa and then spat them back out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cormac Easton)
    OP has a point. Countries in Africa are still dealing with the aftermath of the transatlantic slave trade. The West (read: white people) should be ashamed of themselves and should pay reparations.
    No they don't.

The reason Africa is poor today is because after gaining independence, most of you had the brilliant idea of jumping into bed with the Soviets. Your countries are corrupt with little respect for private property rights and half them are lawless and infested with Islamists or in civil wars over resources. Blaming us is exactly the type of attitude that will keep you poor while the likes of the China, Philippines and South Korea who suffered just as badly at the hands of the Japanese, thrive.

Only now are you even starting to see some stand out candidates for future prosperity (my per capita bet is on Angola to reach western levels first).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I'd sooner we deported you all back to Africa than paid you a single penny for being too weak and primitive to stop us from making you slaves.
    We apologise for not being able to defend ourselves against your advanced warfare tactics that rendered our combat efforts obselete and left the women and children exposed and vulnerable and ready to submit. Oh wait you had a gun...

Yeah that's where your strength came from raiding poor villages and threatening families by turning the gun on the kids and women and basically black mailing the men into going with you.

This is what white people did and still do. They murder, they pillage, they destroy and then they run back to their bit of land across that stretch of water and write songs and stories for their fat and pink children about how heroic they were fighting "weak and primitive" beings.

You're pathetic. I just spat at my monitor.

Absolutely not.

And white people were slaves too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    No they don't.

The reason Africa is poor today is because after gaining independence, most of you had the brilliant idea of jumping into bed with the Soviets. Your countries are corrupt with little respect for private property rights and half them are lawless and infested with Islamists or in civil wars over resources. Blaming us is exactly the type of attitude that will keep you poor while the likes of the China, Philippines and South Korea who suffered just as badly at the hands of the Japanese, thrive.

Only now are you even starting to see some stand out candidates for future prosperity (my per capita bet is on Angola to reach western levels first).
    The reason Africa is poor today because white people pillaged the continent for all it was worth then left corrupt people in power that they could easily control and still have a working relationship with. This way they systematically made sure that Africa never really recovered and with so little opportunity available in Africa how do you want them to become developed without Western intervention. It's only fitting really that the West should pay Africa to build their infrastructure and start their healthcare and businesses going. Not talking about charities btw.

China and the likes are not really comparable to the atrocities that went on in Africa. Plus racism is still going on and keeping us down.

ReputationRep:
    Cormac Easton is really a 17 year old white boy from Buckinghamshire named Rupert.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy Secretan)
    lol Somalia love claiming benefits also black students do the worse at school. They were used as slaves because of racism.

Yeah somalia is a small country in Africa. This doesn't change the fact that white people are the biggest benefit scroungers.

Black students do the worse at school? This was not true at my school and was not true for me. I left 6th form with 4 A*s in chem math bio and physics. Your statistic is true on a national scale maybe and that's only because the education system favours white students and is catered to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy Secretan)
    lol Somalia love claiming benefits also black students do the worse at school. They were used as slaves because of racism.
    You realise you came up with a good point after you just made a stereotype. You just backfired on yourself there...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sure if you want more white people to resent black people. I'm not saying I would but there's enough idiots in the world for this to happen, especially since white people shouldn't have to pay for their ancestors mistakes (if their ancestors were even involved). We don't make the German people pay money to Jews, black people, homosexuals, etc because of the holocaust.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieC130)
    Sure if you want more white people to resent black people. I'm not saying I would but there's enough idiots in the world for this to happen, especially since white people shouldn't have to pay for their ancestors mistakes (if their ancestors were even involved). We don't make the German people pay money to Jews, black people, homosexuals, etc because of the holocaust.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reparat...d_West_Germany

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/...-says-1.450027

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-902528.html

Listen Ellie, It wouldn't be you paying it would be your government. You wouldn't even know tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Who bought the slaves? White people

Who benefited? White people

Who preyed on the desperateness of Africa as a whole to the point where people used their own as a meal ticket? White people

Who stole africa diamonds? white people

Who stole africa oil? white people

Let's be real the West as a whole used Africa and then spat them back out.
    Some White people

Who sold the slaves? Some Black people

Who benefited? The subset of Black people also selling the slaves

etc

ReputationRep:
    That's a racist attitude which assumes all white people and all black people form separate groups. It is not true at all. There are very badly off white people and very well off black people.

That's not even getting into facts such as these:

1. Wealth is not created by charity, it is created by trade and production.

2. Black people also engaged as oppressors and profiteers in the African slave trade.

3. White people also suffered as victims of the various slave trades throughout history.

ReputationRep:
    It's called benefits...

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reparat...d_West_Germany

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/...-says-1.450027

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-902528.html

Listen Ellie, It wouldn't be you paying it would be your government. You wouldn't even know tbh.
    Well if they did they shouldn't have. But I digress, I would know actually. If you think the media would just ignore that ****, you're adorably naive. And if the media blew it up, people would go mad. On top of that it's the principal of it all; I didn't do anything. My parents didn't do anything. My grandparents didn't do anything. There's even a possibility my ancestors in the time of slavery didn't do anything. But by all means, layer on the white guilt. Believe me, days like this I wish I wasn't white.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    That's a racist attitude which assumes all white people and all black people form separate groups. It is not true at all. There are very badly off white people and very well off black people.

That's not even getting into facts such as these:

1. Wealth is not created by charity, it is created by trade and production.

2. Black people also engaged as oppressors and profiteers in the African slave trade.

3. White people also suffered as victims of the various slave trades throughout history.

Pretending like black people benefited from slavery to the same extent as white people is absurd and so is pretending that black people on the whole are as wealthy as white people - ridiculous.

1. Your wealth was created on human trafficking and gross mistreatment of coloured people so yeah you not really the trade and production you have in mind.

2. So? a few black people sold their own. This doesn't mean that black people agree with slavery or would do it to white people if the roles were reversed. Very apologetic here. pls save it and apologise with your wallet.

3. Yeah white people are victims too... HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Cormac Easton is really a 17 year old white boy from Buckinghamshire named Rupert.

Nope.

My name is Cormac Easton.

A more topical and sensible issue would be relating to colonialism, the effects of which are still being felt today. There should be some form of rectification of the evils of slavery, but dont think its going to happen

ReputationRep:
    Pretending like black people benefited from slavery to the same extent as white people is absurd and so is pretending that black people on the whole are as wealthy as white people - ridiculous.

1. Your wealth was created on human trafficking and gross mistreatment of coloured people so yeah you not really the trade and production you have in mind.

2. So? a few black people sold their own. This doesn't mean that black people agree with slavery or would do it to white people if the roles were reversed. Very apologetic here. pls save it and apologise with your wallet.

3. Yeah white people are victims too... HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAA
    You need to drop the racism. I didn't say that black people "on the whole" are as wealthy as white people. I said that some black people are very wealthy while some white people are very poor, which is obviously true. You are therefore arguing for a racist transfer of wealth with no regard to the actual status of the people involved, other than their race. You racist.

Some black people benefited tremendously from the slave trade. Selling people was a big market throughout the modern era; it only ended when the British empire forced it to. (The Arab African slave trade is in fact still ongoing, though not to the extent that it was in the past).

The vast improvement in the condition of the average person over the past few centuries did not come from slavery. Slavery was virtually abolished by the beginning of the 20th century. And yet per capita income did this:

It would be far easier to argue that slavery prevented people from becoming wealthy! (Though I wouldn't say that was necessarily true, other than for the slaves of course).

I hope nobody agrees with slavery nowadays! But back in the past, slavers had no regard for the welfare of those being enslaved. I don't see any evidence that the black slavers had any more regard for the welfare of slaves than white and Arab slavers. The first people to actually do something about slavery and abolish it happened to be white, not that that matters.

Have you not heard of the barbary slave trade?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    You need to drop the racism. I didn't say that black people "on the whole" are as wealthy as white people. I said that some black people are very wealthy while some white people are very poor, which is obviously true. You are therefore arguing for a racist transfer of wealth with no regard to the actual status of the people involved, other than their race. You racist.

Some black people benefited tremendously from the slave trade. Selling people was a big market throughout the modern era; it only ended when the British empire forced it to. (The Arab African slave trade is in fact still ongoing, though not to the extent that it was in the past).

The vast improvement in the condition of the average person over the past few centuries did not come from slavery. Slavery was virtually abolished by the beginning of the 20th century. And yet per capita income did this:

It would be far easier to argue that slavery prevented people from becoming wealthy! (Though I wouldn't say that was necessarily true, other than for the slaves of course).

I hope nobody agrees with slavery nowadays! But back in the past, slavers had no regard for the welfare of those being enslaved. I don't see any evidence that the black slavers had any more regard for the welfare of slaves than white and Arab slavers. The first people to actually do something about slavery and abolish it happened to be white, not that that matters.

Have you not heard of the barbary slave trade?

First of all I'm going to call BS on that graph and ask for a source.

Secondly being wealthy is not unique to being white. Black people can be wealthy too. Now this doesn't mean that because they are already wealthy they shouldn't receive reparations because they are still black. Poor white people exist but so do poor black people. I fail to see your point here.

We are afraid even now of the shackles coming back and we have to be wary 24/7 and we are being mistreated by white people by pretending like you didn't use us as slaves just because it happened a while ago doesn't change anything. As long as the white world refuses to deal with slavery reparations those feelings of fear and disdain that us black people harbour will remain.

Oh on your last point are you having a ****ing laugh?

White people were the first to end slavery? Oh whoopdie ****ing dooo

I should thank your ancestors for letting mine go.

ReputationRep:
    First of all I'm going to call BS on that graph and ask for a source.

Secondly being wealthy is not unique to being white. Black people can be wealthy too. Now this doesn't mean that because they are already wealthy they shouldn't receive reparations because they are still black. Poor white people exist but so do poor black people. I fail to see your point here.

We are afraid even now of the shackles coming back and we have to be wary 24/7 and we are being mistreated by white people by pretending like you didn't use us as slaves just because it happened a while ago doesn't change anything. As long as the white world refuses to deal with slavery reparations those feelings of fear and disdain that us black people harbour will remain.

Oh on your last point are you having a ****ing laugh?

White people were the first to end slavery? Oh whoopdie ****ing dooo

I should thank your ancestors for letting mine go.
    The graph is from Wikipedia, but obviously the data is sourced elsewhere. Here is a link to the page with the image, which also includes the original data source, if you want to check: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...00_to_2003.png.

We're getting somewhere here, I think. My point is that we shouldn't be transferring wealth from people simply because of their race. You would end up transferring wealth from white peasants in Romania to black millionaire rappers in New York. What is the sense in that?

You don't understand that it wasn't just white people who profiteered from the crime of slavery. It was also black people (and Arab people of course, who had the largest slave trade of all). Even if it was just white people, it wouldn't make any sense to consider white people and black people as separate groups nowadays, since regardless of our race we are all simply individual human beings trying to make our way in the world.

I don't care what race people are; you do. I was just pointing out that the first people to end slavery were British, and happened to be white. But that was just a side note.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.