Turn on thread page Beta

What would the world be like if the internet died? watch

ReputationRep:
    Humanity would fall.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by pane123)
    When I said 'living hell' I was referring only to a world of darkness, in which almost every crime imaginable would increase at an exponential rate.

I remember reading an interesting study on human psychology and darkness but I am struggling to find it.
    I'm not sure if that's true. First of all, it wouldn't be a world of darkness - only the internet has gone down, not the entire energy grid. Economics would collapse but the political system, whilst vulnerable, wouldn't necessarily be completely destroyed. If done properly, I think order could be maintained.

ReputationRep:
    Go and watch Transcendence
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I remember the power went off for an hour at work and so many people were wondering around like zombies for that time not sure what to do with themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    Say the internet crashed for some mysterious reason and no-one could get online after becoming so reliant on the internet.

What do you think would happen to the world?
    If it was for a matter of weeks there would be a massive economic crumble. People would begin to riot and paperwork would be impossible.

Banks would have debts that would never be paid (well that's the case now isn't it? But on a much greater scale).

Crime rates would go up enormously as there would be much less accountability and at the same time people would be desperate.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by CVK Abhiroop)
    Definitely won't be able to watch Game of Thrones so that'd be a sad sad world
    I hadn't even thought of this. Let's pray it never happens!

(Original post by CVK Abhiroop)
    Definitely won't be able to watch Game of Thrones so that'd be a sad sad world
    It's not on netflix, so where exactly do you watch it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    I'm not sure if that's true. First of all, it wouldn't be a world of darkness - only the internet has gone down, not the entire energy grid. Economics would collapse but the political system, whilst vulnerable, wouldn't necessarily be completely destroyed. If done properly, I think order could be maintained.
    Maybe eventually but nowhere near immediately. How could energy companies run without the Internet? They couldn't. How could people pay for energy without the Internet? They couldn't.

Everything depends on how long we are without Internet, but, if we assume that it cannot be fixed, then it would be highly unlikely for order to be maintained. Almost everyone in the West, for example, lives in a digital world and it would foolish to expect them to carry on as normal when a lot of what they knew no longer exists.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by pane123)
    Maybe eventually but nowhere near immediately. How could energy companies run without the Internet? They couldn't. How could people pay for energy without the Internet? They couldn't.

Everything depends on how long we are without Internet, but, if we assume that it cannot be fixed, then it would be highly unlikely for order to be maintained. Almost everyone in the West, for example, lives in a digital world and it would foolish to expect them to carry on as normal when a lot of what they knew no longer exists.
    I'm not saying it'll be business as usual, I'm saying that it probably will be business in one way or another!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well a lot of our infrastructure relies on the internet, so I expect we'd go through a period of readjustment. Businesses would collapse, people would have to restructure their lives, lose contact with others, and so on. Then I suppose we'd get back on track again after our setback, but the rate of progress would be slower due to less communication.

Basically, I hope you liked the 90s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    First of all, it wouldn't be a world of darkness - only the internet has gone down, not the entire energy grid.
    You do realise that the national grid relies very heavily on the internet?

ReputationRep:
    humans would be able to use more brain capacity

It would be amazing :gah:

ReputationRep:
    I genuinely think that some people would commit suicide; our life literally revolves around the internet, I think many people would have lost the purpose of their lives if it wasn't for the internet.

ReputationRep:
    Anarchy

ReputationRep:
    It's swings and roundabouts. You have an almost godlike ability now to find any information about topic you choose, yet you are also connected to the hive mind of everyone else in the world which is not necessarily a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    Economic collapse followed by panic buying/looting. The socially awkward would die out due to natural selection after having to interact with people.

If it stayed down, there would be constant battles for resources such as food and water, eventually turning into civil war in most countries in the world as everyone tries to defend their own patch and resources.

Then the aliens invade because that was their plan all along - destroy the internet, cause unrest, and conquer the weakened human enemy which depended on it.

ReputationRep:
    We would all have to go outside and talk to people...

ReputationRep:
    The world would call up IT support and we'd calmly turn it off and on again and be heralded as heroes*.

*Until the internet runs slightly slower than usual...

ReputationRep:
    I would make more friends IRL. Terrifying!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.