The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Current first year civil engineer

Scroll to see replies

Hi Rob,
I've applied to Bath for Civil Engineering too and am having trouble deciding between it and Bristol (for firm and insurance). During last year's open day at the University we weren't shown the labs and so I was wondering what they were like (maybe compared to other Unis if that's possible) and also how much practical and research based work there is in the course.

Many thanks in advance,
Daniele
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 21
Hi Rob,

I've firmed my offer to study Meg Eng at Bath starting next year and am looking to buy a new laptop this summer. Wondering what are the requirements? I see Solid Edge is the CAD programme used, so I'm guessing I'll have to stick to a windows and not go Mac, and I'll be needing something with a decent processor and memory but do you (or any mech eng friends) have any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Original post by DanieleC.97
Hi Rob,
I've applied to Bath for Civil Engineering too and am having trouble deciding between it and Bristol (for firm and insurance). During last year's open day at the University we weren't shown the labs and so I was wondering what they were like (maybe compared to other Unis if that's possible) and also how much practical and research based work there is in the course.

Many thanks in advance,
Daniele

Hi Daniele,

Thanks for your question- I am afraid Rob has now finished his role representing the University on Student Room due to exams.

I work in the Admissions Office at Bath.

You can find information about modules and the types of assessment within the Civil Engineering programme catalogue.

I know the lab facilities are great but cant really say how they compare to those at other universities. If you would like more information you can contact the department directly.

Please do quote me if you have any further queries, and good luck in making your choices!

Steve
Hi Rob,

I 'm going to study Modern Building Design MSc which starts in September.
I found really interesting and helpfull what you mentioned above about the department and campus life.
I'm looking for a house to share in private sector in the city of Bath. I've never went there, so it would be great if you could inform me on the most appropriate areas (safe neighborhoods, close to the city centre, bus routes that go to Uni, neighborhoods popular among students).

Thanks!
Original post by Angelina S.
Hi Rob,

I 'm going to study Modern Building Design MSc which starts in September.
I found really interesting and helpfull what you mentioned above about the department and campus life.
I'm looking for a house to share in private sector in the city of Bath. I've never went there, so it would be great if you could inform me on the most appropriate areas (safe neighborhoods, close to the city centre, bus routes that go to Uni, neighborhoods popular among students).

Thanks!

Hi Angelina,

I am afraid Rob has finished the role for the summer break, but the below is from one of our current final year students.

Steve

As a student myself, I would recommend an area called Oldfield if you are looking to live in a private shared house. Oldfield is where the majority of students live from their second year onwards, some choose to live in the city centre but these houses tend to cost considerably more. Oldfield is about a 10-15 minute walk from the city centre and both the major bus companies in the area (Wessex and First) have regular buses connecting Oldfield, the city centre and the University. Also, there are a few shops and pubs in Oldfield itself, including a decent sized Co-op and Sainsbury’s local.

Other options include Coombe Down, which is known for being a little quieter than Oldfield, Weston, Twerton, Newbridge and Southdown. If you are looking for a place within walking distance from Uni, Widcombe may be worth looking at, however be warned, it’s a steep walk/cycle! If you’d like to find out more information about any of the places I’ve mentioned above, check out this page on our website:

http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/accommodation/private-housing/index.html
Original post by University Of Bath
Hi Angelina,

I am afraid Rob has finished the role for the summer break, but the below is from one of our current final year students.

Steve

As a student myself, I would recommend an area called Oldfield if you are looking to live in a private shared house. Oldfield is where the majority of students live from their second year onwards, some choose to live in the city centre but these houses tend to cost considerably more. Oldfield is about a 10-15 minute walk from the city centre and both the major bus companies in the area (Wessex and First) have regular buses connecting Oldfield, the city centre and the University. Also, there are a few shops and pubs in Oldfield itself, including a decent sized Co-op and Sainsbury’s local.

Other options include Coombe Down, which is known for being a little quieter than Oldfield, Weston, Twerton, Newbridge and Southdown. If you are looking for a place within walking distance from Uni, Widcombe may be worth looking at, however be warned, it’s a steep walk/cycle! If you’d like to find out more information about any of the places I’ve mentioned above, check out this page on our website:

Hi! That's great.. Thanks for the information.. It's very helpful!

I'd like to ask you about the busses, too. Each person that I ask tells me something different. Please tell me which bus routes go (directly) to Uni? And is it possible to take the bus any time? And late at night for instance?
Original post by Angelina S.
Hi! That's great.. Thanks for the information.. It's very helpful!

I'd like to ask you about the buses, too. Each person that I ask tells me something different. Please tell me which bus routes go (directly) to Uni? And is it possible to take the bus any time? And late at night for instance?

You can find information on the buses to and from campus here:

http://www.bath.ac.uk/travel-advice/bus-travel/index.html

You should be able to find timetables on the relevant companies' webpages, but do let me know if you have any queries.

Steve
Original post by University Of Bath
You can find information on the buses to and from campus here:

http://www.bath.ac.uk/travel-advice/bus-travel/index.html

You should be able to find timetables on the relevant companies' webpages, but do let me know if you have any queries.

Steve

Thank you very much for your help! :smile:
Reply 28
Just had some worries about my chances of getting in to Bath, here's my case:I have a conditional offer for IMEE with AAA and I think it's possible that I might get A*AB in Maths, Further maths and physics respectively. My school will hopefully be sending a letter of support to Bath Admissions regarding the Physics department as there was MAJOR issues over the whole science department in fact that has effected everyone's performance with no doubt. Also I'm 99% sure I achieved 100 UMS in C3, C4, and M1 which are my maths modules taken this year. I might add I was also a part of Baths switch program In which they offered me a different course to the one I applied. The issue is physics which last year I got a C in and to get up to an A is pretty hard, even with a G482 retake. Any advice or information on other similar cases would defiantly be appreciated!
Reply 29
Hello could someone please help.

For those who are currently studying Civil engineering, im really axious as to how lenient admissions are in terms of grades achieved.
Do you know of any students getting accepted by falling off two grades short.

Much apprecited.
Thanks in advace.

Quick Reply

Latest