Euler is fine, but why him?
IWantToBeThere
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Shadoo)
No need to be a hater

Muḥammad ibn Mūsā al-Khwārizmī is perhaps the scientist/mathematician I am most indebted to.
Why him?
IWantToBeThere
Rep:
?
(Original post by HSafirah)
Ibn Sina (Avicenna) for the win! you name it; biology, chemistry, physics, geography and even economics!
Why him?

Have in mind that I asked "who is the scientist YOU are most indebted to?"
Hariex
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ken Ham.
HSafirah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by IWantToBeThere)
Why him?

Have in mind that I asked "who is the scientist YOU are most indebted to?"
I feel indebted to Ibn Sina particularly because of his contributions in the medicine world. He carried out a lot of research and compiled them into significant writings, in which I'm mainly referring to these;'Al Qanun fit Tib' (The Canon of Medicine) and also 'As-Shifa fil Hikmah' (The Book of Healing). Although, the Book of Healing is a compilation of more than just focusing on the medicine aspect. Because of his writings, doctors nowadays can continue doing amazing researches- and even come out with further development in the world of science. Ibn Sina discovered Rubella, Tubercolosis (TB), and also mental illnesses. He even discovered special threads for surgery and the medical syringe. In his book called The Canon of Medicine, he discussed further the pulse diagnosis introduced by the Chinese (and add on his commentary as well)- even Galen admitted that it was hard to master the pulse diagnosis. He even introduced the scientific method of 'asking, experimentation, analysis'. He described the nature of diseases very clearly as well.

His works have aspired many people- it's like an important textbook being translated in the medicine world!

And so, I appreciate his works and I feel that his contributions have lead me to a better life- by saving the lives of others, and also by motivating me to work hard
chazwomaq
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Charles Darwin - I studied evolutionary biology at undergrad and postgrad level, and I use his theories almost every day at work. Came up with the second most successful idea anyone has ever had.

Isaac Newton - used mathematics brilliantly to explain the clockwork universe.

Thales - one of the earliest philosophers to see naturalistic rather than supernatural explanations for everything, the first step towards science.
DiddyDec
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Albert Hofmann. A true genius.
ltsmith
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
alan turing and john von neumann
Manitude
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is tough. Part of me wants to say Newton for kick starting modern science, another thinks Maxwell or Faraday for laying the foundations for the electric generator. On the other hand there's a good chance I would have known someone who died of smallpox without Jenner.

Posted from TSR Mobile
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Gottlieb Daimler I suppose.
IWantToBeThere
Rep:
?
(Original post by Manitude)
This is tough. Part of me wants to say Newton for kick starting modern science, another thinks Maxwell or Faraday for laying the foundations for the electric generator. On the other hand there's a good chance I would have known someone who died of smallpox without Jenner.Posted from TSR Mobile
Why would electric generator be so important to you, rather than something else?
IWantToBeThere
Rep:
?
(Original post by JC.)
Gottlieb Daimler I suppose.
why?
Manitude
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why would electric generator be so important to you, rather than something else?
Virtually everything in my life (and indeed almost everyone in a developed country) is reliant on technology which at some point uses electricity, either to make it work or to manufacture it.

Although since writing that first post I also remembered that Shockley helped develop the transistor which is arguably just as important as the electric generator for making modern life possible. There is an alternative to transistors (valves) but they're much larger and more expensive to manufacture. It's an interesting discussion to debate whether the wheel, fire, flint/wooden tools or the transistor has had more impact on humanity.
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
why?
Invented the IC engine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.11%
No - but I will (46)
6.81%
No - I don't want to (50)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.67%

Watched Threads