Do squats work? Watch

LavenderBlueSky88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by abbiemac)
The squat challenge worked wonders for me.
I did combine it with other exercise though
No. It didn't . Unless you had an absolutely sedentary lifestyle and so little glute muscle that bodyweight squats increase it a tiny bit (even then, for that to occur noticeably in 30 days is incredibly unlikely). Our legs and butts are strong and for most girls our most muscular area by default, they are used to carrying us around all day and helping us get in and out of chairs etc. squatting down over and over again isn't causing hypertrophy or any muscle growth because that's what glutes are used to. Adding weight makes them work harder than if it's just yourself squatting down and therefore increases muscle to a degree.

Maybe these other exercises are what caused miracles, though there are no quick fixes when it comes to this stuff. It takes a long time and a lot of work to significantly alter the appearance of a body part.
CatnipGlows
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
No. It didn't . Unless you had an absolutely sedentary lifestyle and so little glute muscle that bodyweight squats increase it a tiny bit (even then, for that to occur noticeably in 30 days is incredibly unlikely). Our legs and butts are strong and for most girls our most muscular area by default, they are used to carrying us around all day and helping us get in and out of chairs etc. squatting down over and over again isn't causing hypertrophy or any muscle growth because that's what glutes are used to. Adding weight makes them work harder than if it's just yourself squatting down and therefore increases muscle to a degree.

Maybe these other exercises are what caused miracles, though there are no quick fixes when it comes to this stuff. It takes a long time and a lot of work to significantly alter the appearance of a body part.
'No it didn't.' And you would know would you?
I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that you had examined my body recently.
I'm not saying that doing squats immediately turned you from no ass= kim kardashian

But it was a very good starting point for me.
Summertime112
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago

I think you're right, any advice I've got is to use weight, what weight do you squat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
LavenderBlueSky88
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not saying that doing squats immediately turned you from no ass= kim kardashian

Unless you defy all laws of physics and biology then it didn't "do wonders for you". It might have made a tiny imperceptible difference, tbh it's probably more of a placebo effect.
LavenderBlueSky88
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Summertime112)
I think you're right, any advice I've got is to use weight, what weight do you squat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You've gotta just see what's manageable for you. It's all down to your basic strength and your height/weight. Next time you're at the gym try doing goblet squats with kettlebells for 6-8 reps each set, start low and work up to where you feel the last rep is a challenge. Once you've got your form down you can move on to barbell squats, most gyms have premade barbells which are smaller than Olympic ones, these are great for starting out and testing yourself. Once you get past a certain weight (for me it was 20kg) you will no longer be able to pick it up to put it on your back so this is when you'd use a rack. I can't stress how important good form and proper stretching is though, the last thing you want is to be injured.
In One Ear
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

The human body cannot gain substantial muscle mass in 30 days. Even if you were adding muscle as fast as possible it would barely be noticeable as a female after 30 days (or even as a male). Try a couple of years for big changes.

Also high repetition low effort exercises does nothing for muscular size, as evidenced by endurance runners etc. Unless you just got out of auswitchz, you should be able to rep bodyweight squats all day, every day- yes it might burn, but that doesn't mean its hard work from a force production point of view. The squat challenge does not build muscle size, it just builds endurance (ability to clear lactic acid etc).

I have a female friend who insists she cannot swim regularly or else she gets really broad shoulders within a few weeks (lol). She went on holiday where the hotel she was staying at had a pool. She swam in it every day for a couple of weeks. She insisted it had noticeably broadened her shoulders and was making her look unfeminine- in reality she looked exactly as she had before her holiday (who would have thought!).
In One Ear
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Unless you defy all laws of physics and biology then it didn't "do wonders for you". It might have made a tiny imperceptible difference, tbh it's probably more of a placebo effect.
PRSOM.

Let the fads continue.
Angry cucumber
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
x
Repped

(Original post by In One Ear)
x
PRSOM
username1039383
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Heavy squats (I mean heavy, a 5kg kettlebell isn't heavy) will definitely add some muscle mass. You won't get a big round bum from squats alone, usually those are genetic but you can improve what you have. They do make bit of difference, tbh I've noticed more change in my thighs than my bum but it's definitely bigger (eg, none of my jeans fit me anymore and I have to buy a size up but wear a belt round the waist).

All this squat challenge nonsense is bull****.
how much is classed as heavy/effective for a 5ft5 140lbs girl?
Smack
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Secretnerd123)
how much is classed as heavy/effective for a 5ft5 140lbs girl?
Depends on your strength. Start with just the bar and keep adding small increments in weight until you find it very challenging to complete however many reps you want to do.
Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by emjem10)
Squats alone, especially with no weights, will do nothing whatsoever. But within a proper gym routine they're great
And your proof of this working is..?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.8%
No - but I will (102)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (633)
47.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise