Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to nominate 'Please Mr Postman' by Alan Johnson.

ReputationRep:
    My book of the year has to be city of Bones.

ReputationRep:
    My favourite book of the year has to be Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. I am completely and utterly in love with that book, and if I could nominate it 100 times, I would :love:

ReputationRep:
    Of the books I have read this year, I would definitely say The Great Gatsby. Yes, you may say that that's practically a classic, practically every English student studies it, and that it's practically a classic, so of course I would say that.

But it doesn't change the fact that it is still as relevant today as it was in 1924. Look around you! We still live in a world which profits from war, in a world where materialism is seen as (in the words of Led Zeppelin) a 'stairway to Heaven', a world where there is still such a huge divide between the rich and the poor, and where the immorality of greed for power and wealth is practically idolised.

It may have been set in a time nearly 100 years ago, but the fact is, not much has actually changed.

ReputationRep:
    Us by David Nicholls. The Girl With All the Gifts by M. R. Carey. How To Build a Girl by Caitlin Moran.

Best book I read last year that wasn't published last year? 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.

ReputationRep:
    Black lies by Alessandra Torre

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: I can't remove the post so please just ignore this comment
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    My book of the year would probably be "This Changes Everything" by Naomi Klein. Her best piece of work to date in my opinion and that's saying something.

ReputationRep:
    Wool by Hugh Howey - an awesome dystopian sci-fi read
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    For everyone who loves reading, this is your chance to vote for your BOOK OF THE YEAR for 2014!!!!:king1:
    :party::party:

Post your nominations for Book of the Year in the thread below to enter that book into the poll for voting!

Nominations will close on Friday 23rd January at 10am for the poll to open!

There will be a bundle of books up for grabs for one lucky winner (including the Book of the Year!) who will be randomly selected from anyone who posts in this thread!

Spoiler:
    Show

(Quoting in members from Battle of the Books in case you are interested!)
    Does the book have to have been published in 2014?

ReputationRep:
    Assuming it is the best book we've read that has been published in 2014 - then for me it is 'Skin Game' by Jim Butcher

ReputationRep:
    I can't decide either ' The strangest man - Paul Dirac by Graham Farmelo or 'Six easy pieces' by Richard Feynman.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    The Knife of Never Letting Go- Patrick Ness or Tell No Lies- Gregg Hurwitz

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karmacrunch)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The Knife of Never Letting go is such a good book. Patrick Ness is my favourite author :jive:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Nerdy_Birdy96)
    The Knife of Never Letting go is such a good book. Patrick Ness is my favourite author :jive:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oooh! I agree, I really enjoyed it. :yep: I've borrowed "More Than This", which is also by him. Have you read it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    Assuming we need books published in 2014

What If? By Randall Monroe .... Fun Q&A book to dip into

As you wish: inconceivable tales from the making of The Princess Bride by Carey Elwes ... If you loved the book or the film you will adore this
    Agree with this, What If? Was an incredibly fun book, and a surprising gem.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Nerdy_Birdy96)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Published in 2008.

ReputationRep:
    Assuming that it is any book we read this year, as everyone else seems to have decided this, then I nominate The Silmarillion. I read it, the Hobbit, and the LoTR trilogy every year, and they never get old.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh! I agree, I really enjoyed it. :yep: I've borrowed "More Than This", which is also by him. Have you read it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes I have. It treats you like a ragdoll. It throws your emotions all over the place.
    Have you read the rest of the Chaos Walking trilogy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'll nominate A Chorus of Stones by Susan Griffin and If On a Winter's Night ​by Italo Calvino

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.