Turn on thread page Beta

TSR's rules on offensiveness - reform needed? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbiemac)
    Neg Rep would solve everything.

Seriously I got reported for saying that the world was over populated the other day.. it's ridiculous D:

Some people are just too easily offended.
    :rofl: :lolwut: good thing I don't want children then

ReputationRep:

Seriously I got reported for saying that the world was over populated the other day.. it's ridiculous D:

Really? You've not had a card for anything like that.

This is why discussing specific moderation actions should only be done in AAM, because people misrepresent what's happened to them on the public forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)

This is why discussing specific moderation actions should only be done in AAM, because people misrepresent what's happened to them on the public forum.

Would there or is there a way to allow users to see what they've been carded for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Balloon Baboon)
    Would there or is there a way to allow users to see what they've been carded for?
    You can see any active cards you have on your community record here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/record.php

You should be able to see the post they relate to by clicking on the blue title for the card.

ReputationRep:
    You can see any active cards you have on your community record here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/record.php

You should be able to see the post they relate to by clicking on the blue title for the card.

That's great, thanks!

ReputationRep:

I didn't get a card in the end, I was just pointing out that someone actually reported me for it, when there is really no way that should be taken as an offensive remark.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone in this thread will disappear.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where will you go? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    x
    Seems like a consensus so far...

ReputationRep:
    This is an interesting thread. I actually do still think TSR's rules can be too strict / tough and treats our members as too young. Mollycoddling a bit too much. I mean, when I was 14 I was already thinking like an adult and there wasn't anything 'life wise' I didn't really know by that age.

So it would be good to see people suggestions for examples of what would and wouldn't be acceptable, that's the only way we can really review them, is to take the community's lead.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    This is an interesting thread. I actually do still think TSR's rules can be too strict / tough and treats our members as too young. Mollycoddling a bit too much. I mean, when I was 14 I was already thinking like an adult and there wasn't anything 'life wise' I didn't really know by that age.

So it would be good to see people suggestions for examples of what would and wouldn't be acceptable, that's the only way we can really review them, is to take the community's lead.
    Really? I wasn't.

Isn't there a danger that you will lose the support of schools if you relax the rules? A teacher can't recommend their students visit a site which allows swearing and sexual or offensive content, no matter how old they are. I don't think the rules are particularly strict anyway, it seems a bit silly to change them just to appease a minority of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Really? I wasn't.

Isn't there a danger that you will lose the support of schools if you relax the rules? A teacher can't recommend their students visit a site which allows swearing and sexual or offensive content, no matter how old they are. I don't think the rules are particularly strict anyway, it seems a bit silly to change them just to appease a minority of people.
    Woah there, I'm not talking about removing all of the rules to allow swearing and offensive content, just that I think they can be too strict in a lot of instances. I don't think we'd lose the support of schools at all, teachers are perfectly used to how teenagers are. And it's always best to be careful when generalising with words like "minority of people" when we don't actually know what the whole student population thinks. If we were to ever change the rules, we would survey thousands of people.

Just to confirm though, what I wrote above is just my view. It doesn't mean anything is going to change. I do think we sometimes treat teenagers and adults like children on here when mentally and literally, the majority aren't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    Woah there, I'm not talking about removing all of the rules to allow swearing and offensive content, just that I think they can be too strict in a lot of instances. I don't think we'd lose the support of schools at all, teachers are perfectly used to how teenagers are. And it's always best to be careful when generalising with words like "minority of people" when we don't actually know what the whole student population thinks. If we were to ever change the rules, we would survey thousands of people.

Just to confirm though, what I wrote above is just my view. It doesn't mean anything is going to change. I do think we sometimes treat teenagers and adults like children on here when mentally and literally, the majority aren't.

I have to agree that some of the rules are a little tight. However, the way I see it is; if you're talking to someone, someone who may have different opinions to you, a different religion to you - if any at all - perhaps comes from a different background and has different experience to you - if you speak to that person how you want to be spoken to yourself, then the rules of TSR will only serve to those that don't communicate in that manner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Like dust in the wind.

ReputationRep:

I got reported for telling someone to read a book about Africa when they were saying that all Africans are primitive.

... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viceroy)
    I got reported for telling someone to read a book about Africa when they were saying that all Africans are primitive.

... :rolleyes:
    Wow.. Yeah that's pretty bad :0 some people these days..

ReputationRep:
    Wow.. Yeah that's pretty bad :0 some people these days..
    I'm honestly starting to get superbly tired of this forum ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    With my wisdom on this matter, it's difficult to draw a line, but I was going to offer for people to suggest some things they think might be close to the line and say "yes" or "no", but here's a novel idea: stop being dicks to each other. Don't try and find the line and literally step right up to it. If people just treated each other with respect and didn't try and denigrate others, TSR would be a much happier place.

I'm happy for the mods to use discretion. If anything, they err on the side of caution when it comes to borderline cases.
    The point of the OP was that things they/we deem ok with are being warned so it's not like people are intentionally being horrible to each other.

My first thread back on TSR has just been taken down as it 'could cause offence' - I linked a video that might have been a little unsuitable but even then a mod could have just edited my post rather than immediately go for a card, I don't feel like making another similar thread for a decent convo with people as it might 'offend' someone :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    With my wisdom on this matter, it's difficult to draw a line, but I was going to offer for people to suggest some things they think might be close to the line and say "yes" or "no", but here's a novel idea: stop being dicks to each other. Don't try and find the line and literally step right up to it. If people just treated each other with respect and didn't try and denigrate others, TSR would be a much happier place.

I'm happy for the mods to use discretion. If anything, they err on the side of caution when it comes to borderline cases.
    Isn't this as naïve as saying that the whole world should try to get along and not be dicks to each other? People like to argue and debate, nobody wants to admit their views are wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I will say the threshold for offensive news is far, far too low. You can't express a negative opinion about a group of people without getting carded if seems.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.