Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CD223)
I was told in Year 9 that I wasn't good enough to take 12 subjects for GCSE and additional maths FSMQ because I was predicted straight Bs.
I got 12A*s and an A in Add Maths and went back to see the teacher who said I wasn't good enough on results day and she blushed lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applaud you. Add Maths was horrendous. I didn't study and got a high C. (Second paper killed me. I got 81 in the first one, then flopped the 2nd. Oops.)
James2810
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was in the GCSE Core Science retake class last year and was told my Biology teacher that I would be lucky if I got a D in Core Science. I got a C.
Richpeasant
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Arkasia)
I am a realist. No-one is good at everything, and many people are good at nothing. It's delusion to think "as long as I work at something, I will succeed", because most (not all) of the time it's nonsensical.
I'm not much of a psychologist but i'm sure that if you repeat something enough times your brain eventually takes the information in, obviously not every ones good at everything, i would be confident in saying if you put a 'less intelligent' person in a place and tought them to fly, they would be able to fly a plane, even though statistically they didn't get those 3 A's that it would of taken to actually do the course or the scheme, just a random example, but i disagree, if you work at something enough you will be able todo it.
CD223
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CescaD96)
I applaud you. Add Maths was horrendous. I didn't study and got a high C. (Second paper killed me. I got 81 in the first one, then flopped the 2nd. Oops.)
Aw ahaha thanks! I just had one paper? It was OCR Additional Maths FSMQ. It was hard and I thought I got an E (like most my class eventually did), but I guess my stars were aligned perfectly that day aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CD223)
Aw ahaha thanks! I just had one paper? It was OCR Additional Maths FSMQ. It was hard and I thought I got an E (like most my class eventually did), but I guess my stars were aligned perfectly that day aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm from N.I, you see. CCEA. I had 6 exams that week and I suck at Maths (2 B grades at GCSE) so I gave up. Got 5A*, 6A as well like, so not too bad.
Richpeasant
Rep:
?
English Lit, Religion, Politics, History. I got AAAB, and I'm repeating an AS History module to pull up my B grade
Those are really really good grades, well done! Doing A2 history myself, only got a mark over the B mark so i'm sticking with what iv'e got with no resits, what is your coursework on? Or have you not started it yet?
Hachik0
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Richpeasant)
Only recently found out you were Dyslexic? Was there any sort of % added to all your exam results, as obviously at that time you didn't have the support that most people in the same situation did have. Nice to hear you got to university, the university interviewee called you 'not clever' that's harsh, any reason he said that?!:O
Nope nothing of the sort sadly. I would of benefited from extra time at the very least. Admittedly i didn't do very well in my A levels because i couldn't understand what was wrong with me. On one hand all my reports were good and that my contribution to class was of a high standard and yet when it came to any form of assessment i did awful.

I was told that i was lazy and was not putting in the work required. I did slack, yes, because i couldn't understand how people could praise me on one hand but it not resulting in good marks.

The interesting thing is that after finding out that i was dyslexic i struggled in the following areas. Working and long term memory amongst other things.

It wasn't the University but a deputy head at my secondary school. He didn't want me to go on to do A levels because he said i wouldn't be able to get them.
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not much of a psychologist but i'm sure that if you repeat something enough times your brain eventually takes the information in, obviously not every ones good at everything, i would be confident in saying if you put a 'less intelligent' person in a place and tought them to fly, they would be able to fly a plane, even though statistically they didn't get those 3 A's that it would of taken to actually do the course or the scheme, just a random example, but i disagree, if you work at something enough you will be able todo it.
Not how it works. Of course, there are scales, and someone who has less of an aptitude can still do something with enough work (realistic), but to claim someone who is a college drop out can go on to become a nobel-winning physicist, even with some 'dedication', is ludicrous. The idea that anyone is capable of anything is toxic and a recent notion.
HeavyTeddy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Teachers get it wrong all the time. If you live your life listening to all the bull**** that people tell you, you'll never accomplish anything. Fair enough not everyone is blessed with amazing academic ability, but I think hard work and determination is far more important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Those are really really good grades, well done! Doing A2 history myself, only got a mark over the B mark so i'm sticking with what iv'e got with no resits, what is your coursework on? Or have you not started it yet?
I'm 4 off an A in History, but thanks
I don't have coursework for History. CCEA don't do coursework for any of my subjects at A2 (and only English had coursework at AS.)
Bethaaaaany
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was also on CCEA for GCSE Add Maths and did the exact same thing god the second paper, it was horrendous. Came out with a low B in the end though.
Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bethaaaaany)
I was also on CCEA for GCSE Add Maths and did the exact same thing god the second paper, it was horrendous. Came out with a low B in the end though.
Such a high C too I got. Results day I looked at it and went "Could have gone worse, boys." I was only ever predicted a C.
Richpeasant
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hachik0)
Nope nothing of the sort sadly. I would of benefited from extra time at the very least. Admittedly i didn't do very well in my A levels because i couldn't understand what was wrong with me. On one hand all my reports were good and that my contribution to class was of a high standard and yet when it came to any form of assessment i did awful.

I was told that i was lazy and was not putting in the work required. I did slack, yes, because i couldn't understand how people could praise me on one hand but it not resulting in good marks.

The interesting thing is that after finding out that i was dyslexic i struggled in the following areas. Working and long term memory amongst other things.

It wasn't the University but a deputy head at my secondary school. He didn't want me to go on to do A levels because he said i wouldn't be able to get them.
Did you end up doing A-levels or did you do some other form of qualification to get you to uni?
Hachik0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did you end up doing A-levels or did you do some other form of qualification to get you to uni?
I did my A levels
Richpeasant
Rep:
?
I'm 4 off an A in History, but thanks
I don't have coursework for History. CCEA don't do coursework for any of my subjects at A2 (and only English had coursework at AS.)
So close, i'm sure you'll get there, what's the exam board like? We do OCR and WJEC, they're very inconsistent with the marking and often give marks for things not directly asked in the question, suppose that's the whole thing about A levels, make you think outside the box, however asking a question but expecting this additional information the question didn't directly ask for and getting rewarded for it is silly.
Bethaaaaany
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Such a high C too I got. Results day I looked at it and went "Could have gone worse, boys." I was only ever predicted a C.
Though I was predicted an A* -cue a very unimpressed maths teacher on results day- tbh it was the grade I was most pleased with (other grades were 6.5A*s 3As) just bc I was so sure I was going to get a U or something

(And now I'm doing AS maths...with CCEA...I'm an idiot.)
Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So close, i'm sure you'll get there, what's the exam board like? We do OCR and WJEC, they're very inconsistent with the marking and often give marks for things not directly asked in the question, suppose that's the whole thing about A levels, make you think outside the box, however asking a question but expecting this additional information the question didn't directly ask for and getting rewarded for it is silly.
I've never used either of those boards, just CCEA and AQA. CCEA is not that bad, but it depends on the year I think for whether you'll get consistent marking or not.
Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bethaaaaany)
Though I was predicted an A* -cue a very unimpressed maths teacher on results day- tbh it was the grade I was most pleased with (other grades were 6.5A*s 3As) just bc I was so sure I was going to get a U or something

(And now I'm doing AS maths...with CCEA...I'm an idiot.)
I hate Maths. I don't even know why I did Add Maths. Idiot me, really! I got 5A*, 6A, a B (maybe 2 B, I could have 2 normal Maths GCSEs, I've recently discovered) and then that C. Now doing A2 and loving it.
Richpeasant
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arkasia)
Not how it works. Of course, there are scales, and someone who has less of an aptitude can still do something with enough work (realistic), but to claim someone who is a college drop out can go on to become a nobel-winning physicist, even with some 'dedication', is ludicrous. The idea that anyone is capable of anything is toxic and a recent notion.
I'm sure there is someone in history whom was some sort of dropout or didn't goto further education and has received the Nobel prize, or at least is near the best in his field! I mean now it's probably alot harder than a few hundred years back, so due to the need of technology that sometimes costs millions i suppose things these days are alot harder to achieve.
JamesJones777
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Its about self belief, if you want a B, work for it. I was told on TSR that I would never get an Oxford interview based on my academic record, I applied and I have one next week.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (329)
37.34%
No - but I will (71)
8.06%
No - I don't want to (63)
7.15%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (418)
47.45%

Watched Threads