Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Exam technique...?
    Although I find time limited examinations rather irritating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicalConch)
    If the reasoning is to test your ability to work fast in relation to the pressures of modern work then why are students disallowed internet access, resource access etc, which are all readily available to most people and nearly all workplaces. Furthermore I find most of the time restraints are simply plain unreasonable.
    This is the main reason I believe in workplace sponsored degrees whereby you work so many days on placement and spend 2 or 3 days at the university. Your work is continuously assessed on the job and exams are scrapped completely. At the end of each month you get a report done by your professional supervisor who grades your progress. Throughout the year you're required to document what you've done and provide evidence of it in a folder to be submitted to the university.

This would end the debate about pointless degrees as you'd need sponsorship from an actual company to get one and it would also ensure that money wasn't being wasted whilst cutting down the number of people going to university and increasing the worth of a degree again.

(Original post by Genius Guy)
    That is also true...
    But "weeks and weeks"? I would just say hours and hours.
    Under a system with no time limit, what is stop someone ordering a pizza or kebab to the exam room whilst continuing to work?

(Original post by SmaugTheTerrible)
    Its a system that works and despite its flaws, there are no viable alternative.
    There are numerous viable alternatives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicalConch)
    If the reasoning is to test your ability to work fast in relation to the pressures of modern work then why are students disallowed internet access, resource access etc, which are all readily available to most people and nearly all workplaces. Furthermore I find most of the time restraints are simply plain unreasonable.
    Non-timed exams with access to internet and other resources?

You're describing coursework.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.