Report 4 years ago
nah
Ex Death
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ridwan12)
The fact you missed Good kid mad city and J cole's new album speaks volumes. There is still a lot of good music out there, go explore.
If Kendrick Lamar and J Cole are the best that mainstream hip hop has to offer then I stand by my point. Both very average.
CallMeJay
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Personally I think the only ones keeping it alive are Kendrick and J Cole. There's nothing to be done, the current state of hip hop right now can't be saved. People would rather listen to that "turn up" **** rather than actual poetry

Posted from TSR Mobile
CallMeJay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ex Death)
If Kendrick Lamar and J Cole are the best that mainstream hip hop has to offer then I stand by my point. Both very average.
Well they are the leaders of the new school. They are also very far from average. I guess you just don't appreciate or understand Kendrick's lyricism or J Cole's Nas-like story telling

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ex Death
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CallMeJay)
Well they are the leaders of the new school. They are also very far from average. I guess you just don't appreciate or understand Kendrick's lyricism or J Cole's Nas-like story telling

Posted from TSR Mobile
I guess if you've never heard anything better, you have no frame of reference to rate Kendrick Lamar or J Cole as anything other than 'the best'.
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What lyricism and what is there to understand? He's pretty good but people are talking like he's the second coming of Jesus or something. It's not GZA or Aesop Rock.

I like GKMC btw but it's nothing really 'new', it's a decent listen but everything he did on that had been done before multiple times by better rappers than him, the album is kinda like a mish mash of old sounds all put together.

Also I was going to say Oddisee is one of my favourite new rappers. I have just seen 'March on Washington' is now out. Buying right now and I don't even buy digital downloads tbh.
Kaiju
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There is no best (besides Lil B the Based God our true Messiah and Rawest Rapper Alive).

Hiphop isn't dead and isn't dying.

"Mainstream hiphop" has been garbage for years ever since big names sold their souls to big business.

Hiphop is what you make it, though. There's a lot of options out there. To claim that there is "nothing good" purely because you don't know about it is ridiculous.

tl;dr
**** genre purism
**** musical elitists
**** anyone who says X is dead or Y is the best
**** Rick Ross for stealing the name of a real con and then rapping about things he's never lived
But most of all
**** you guys
ridwan12
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by zKlown)
Only rate Lupe and some Kendrick from that list.

Tried KRIT but couldn't get into it.
Surprised you like kendrick but not j cole.....

Personally I think j cole (his new stuff, not the work out days...) and kendrick's music are superior to lupe's (hated deliver sooooo much).

But whatever floats your boat. Asking as you've listened to these artist's, which I somehow keep doubting, and broadening your horizons regarding rap/hip-hop.
ridwan12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Good kid mad city is undeniably one of the best albums of the 21st century. You probably only listened to one or two "turn up" songs on the album. The story telling and vivid lyricism in money trees for example is something we've lost in hip hop. But you probably wouldn't know that because your hooked up on past greats such a stupas/biggie.

I have a name for people like you, old-school hipster.
Castro Saint
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Joey Bada$$

/thread
zKlown
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Surprised you like kendrick but not j cole.....

Personally I think j cole (his new stuff, not the work out days...) and kendrick's music are superior to lupe's (hated deliver sooooo much).

But whatever floats your boat. Asking as you've listened to these artist's, which I somehow keep doubting, and broadening your horizons regarding rap/hip-hop.
Tbf, I don't like Kendrick that much.

I ain't claiming to be some Hip-Hop elitist, I aren't a massive follower anyway.

Most the hip-hop in my iTunes is pre-2000
CallMeJay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I guess if you've never heard anything better, you have no frame of reference to rate Kendrick Lamar or J Cole as anything other than 'the best'.
Lol? I've heard others which are fairly good like KRIT, Logic and Childish Gambino and honestly they don't even come close to those 2. What's your idea of "better"? Biggie? Pac? We're talking new school here, mate.

And like I've said, I guess you just don't understand the complexity in their lyrics. The wordplay, metaphors, similes, imagery created is unmatched in this current era. They create music from a perception of their surroundings.

It's no surprise they are 2 of the most popular hip hop artists right now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
CallMeJay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
What lyricism and what is there to understand? He's pretty good but people are talking like he's the second coming of Jesus or something. It's not GZA or Aesop Rock.

I like GKMC btw but it's nothing really 'new', it's a decent listen but everything he did on that had been done before multiple times by better rappers than him, the album is kinda like a mish mash of old sounds all put together.

Also I was going to say Oddisee is one of my favourite new rappers. I have just seen 'March on Washington' is now out. Buying right now and I don't even buy digital downloads tbh.
"New school" now rewrite your whole response.

I also cbb to repeat what I just said, or quote lyrics in his songs and explain it to you. If you don't agree, so be it. I don't care who you like.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
"New school" now rewrite your whole response.
I don't need to rewrite anything because that wasn't what I was responding to.
zKlown
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
People are entitled to like what they like lol, people get so butt-hurt online when people don't like their favourite rapper, I really don't get it...

For me, I just like rappers with a unique style and mic presence.

None of these new school rappers do that for me really

Earl and Joey Badass are the ones that spring to mind as the rappers that seem a little different.

Rap is one of those genres where I can't force myself to like someone, if they don't grab my attention from the get-go, then I CBA.
Ex Death
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Good kid mad city is undeniably one of the best albums of the 21st century. You probably only listened to one or two "turn up" songs on the album. The story telling and vivid lyricism in money trees for example is something we've lost in hip hop. But you probably wouldn't know that because your hooked up on past greats such a stupas/biggie.

I have a name for people like you, old-school hipster.

I've listened to the whole album. The story telling is average and the lyricism is ok at best. Just because it's much better than all other current mainstream hip hop doesn't make it objectively good. I like that you think I'm hooked up on past greats. If you look at the first post I made in this thread where I listed the best (imo) hip hop artists you'll see that I hardly mentioned any past greats. Only Nas, Big L, Kool G Rap and maybe one or two others.

Lol? I've heard others which are fairly good like KRIT, Logic and Childish Gambino and honestly they don't even come close to those 2. What's your idea of "better"? Biggie? Pac? We're talking new school here, mate.

And like I've said, I guess you just don't understand the complexity in their lyrics. The wordplay, metaphors, similes, imagery created is unmatched in this current era. They create music from a perception of their surroundings.

It's no surprise they are 2 of the most popular hip hop artists right now.
Biggie? Pac? Look at my first post I made in this thread before making stupid assumptions about me. KRIT, Logic and Childish Gambino are ****ing awful incidentally.

Yeah because I think that Kendrick Lamar is average it must be because I just don't understand the 'complexity of his lyrics'. It couldn't be that he is in fact average and that I've taken the time to look for better underground artists and mentioned about 50 artists better than him in this thread already.
Kaiju
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
worried by the gross lack of UK hiphop mentions in this thread

where's the love?
ridwan12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by zKlown)
Tbf, I don't like Kendrick that much.

I ain't claiming to be some Hip-Hop elitist, I aren't a massive follower anyway.

Most the hip-hop in my iTunes is pre-2000

Go listen to GKMC/Section 80 again without pre-conceived judgement, I have asked a few people who didn't like kendrick to do this, you'll atleast be able to appreciate his talent.
*Thedreaming*
Report 4 years ago
its dead and buried.
Kaiju
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by *Thedreaming*)
its dead and buried.
bait post
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads