ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_guns)
    Are you still making comments? I really must have touched a nerve
    xD nerd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lionheart96)
    wow you must have a lot of friends.
    :lol: Are you so shocked by someone having in-depth knowledge of a subject? Especially one they may have studied at postgraduate level?

Don't tell me, someone being clever or knowledgeable about a subject, in your world, means they don't have friends. I don't want to guess how low your university is on the league tables.
    By the way, if you don't get back to work, you'll get a third in your degree Or even fail.

And then you'll end up working at Morrisons. Chop chop, get off your backside =P
    (Original post by ngt93)
    Just someone that knows the vast majority of americans are fat, hypocritical, retarded and annoying scum.
    (Original post by Lionheart96)
    oh damn my comment must have really hurt!
    Hell, you had to reply TWICE to my comment.
    i'm sorry i was just pulling your leg mate
    That's what people always say when they're smarting.

And are you going to get back to work? You're going to fail your degree at this rate
    This made me laugh xD
    especially young_guns :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ngt93)
    Just someone that knows the vast majority of americans are fat, hypocritical, retarded and annoying scum.
    So somebody who doesn't know Americans then.

Some are. Most arent.

ReputationRep:
    The deal was actually massively favourable to the US. The missiles in Turkey were already obsolete and extremely vulnerable to a first-strike (liquid-fuelled, close to the Soviet Union).

With solid-fuelled ICBMs like the Minuteman coming online, and the first Polaris SLBM patrols occurring around this time, the US wasn't really sacrificing anything, whereas the Soviets were sacrificing their only realistic first strike capability on the US. They had to wait until the 1970s and the Delta class submarines came online to get something similar. Essentially, the Soviets backed themselves into a corner, though they did come out of it with a guarantee Cuba would not be invaded

This video below, from a documentary about the US Secretary of Defence from 1961 to 1968, Robert McNamara, has a very good overview of the Cuban Missile Crisis (from 6 minutes 50 seconds in).

I couldn't recommend it highly enough for anyone who is interested in Cold War history
    Fog of War is a fascinating film, albeit hard to watch, the sheer ferocity and relentlessness of the area bombing of SE Asia by the Americans is chilling really and the horrible twisted logic used by McNamara and others to justify what was basically mass murder of civilians and pointless mass murder at that.

The theory that Turkey 'didn't matter', so the US got the best end of the deal is a bit of a stretch. The reality is that Turkey was a fairly major misjudgement by the US and so was Cuba on the part of the Soviets. Their demented nuclear posturing put the whole world in danger of destruction to satisfy the mania of generals and war industrialists.

Now let's talk about Putin. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Fog of War is a fascinating film, albeit hard to watch, the sheer ferocity and relentlessness of the area bombing of SE Asia by the Americans is chilling really and the horrible twisted logic used by McNamara and others to justify what was basically mass murder of civilians and pointless mass murder at that.

The theory that Turkey 'didn't matter', so the US got the best end of the deal is a bit of a stretch. The reality is that Turkey was a fairly major misjudgement by the US and so was Cuba on the part of the Soviets. Their demented nuclear posturing put the whole world in danger of destruction to satisfy the mania of generals and war industrialists.

Now let's talk about Putin. :lol:
    If you like The Fog of War, you'll love The Gatekeepers.

It's a documentary that interviews all six living former heads of the Shin Bet (the Israeli equivalent of MI5, with particular responsibility for counterterrorism and the occupied territories). It goes far beyond informative and interesting, it's deeply moving and by the end you have to pick your jaw up off the floor.

It influenced my views of the Israel-Palestine conflict more than anything else I've seen or read. Incredible doesn't cover it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.