Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ama2007)
    Hi,

Basically I want to apply to Unis in Ireland, but I dont know if I have missed the deadline and how different is it from UCAS?

I am a scottish graduate with 2.1 in Pharmacy and plenty of work experience, planning to set the GAMSAT in march.

However, am not entirely sure of this application process, deadlines etc.

What are the normal requirement for graduates?

Also as a scottish applicant, am considered EU right? what are the fees like?

And do people apply to Irish unis because they seem to think its easier to get into? or is it actually easier?

Thank You!!
    From what i know, the fees are cheaper for EU students and all applications for EU student go through the CAO, which is something like UCAS. The usual requirement for grads are 2:1 degrees, similar to that of UK universities however so the places are fewer and competition is high for grads, same as UK graduate medicine.

I was told to hand my application by the 1st of December. Not so sure about what the actual deadlines are. It tends to be easier to get in for international students, as the universities do not have a maximum number of international students for intake as well as having higher fees for international students.

RCSI's undergrad class is more or less two thirds international students. For RCSI, the fees are 50,000 for international students and 25,000 for local/EU students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shyaamb)
    From what i know, the fees are cheaper for EU students and all applications for EU student go through the CAO, which is something like UCAS. The usual requirement for grads are 2:1 degrees, similar to that of UK universities however so the places are fewer and competition is high for grads, same as UK graduate medicine.

I was told to hand my application by the 1st of December. Not so sure about what the actual deadlines are. It tends to be easier to get in for international students, as the universities do not have a maximum number of international students for intake as well as having higher fees for international students.

RCSI's undergrad class is more or less two thirds international students. For RCSI, the fees are 50,000 for international students and 25,000 for local/EU students.
    25,000 per year???

1st Dec? I thought it was 1st feb.

ReputationRep:
    hey what entry exams would i need to take if i wanted to apply to Irish Universities? Do they use something similar to UKCAT/BMAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishysmile)
    If you graduate from and Irish Medical School with an EU Passport - can you practise in the UK?
    Yes. The deadline is sometime in August.

ReputationRep:
    25,000 per year???

Well, at least 15,0000 Euros is what I heard from Graduate entry students.

I only pay 3000 Euros. However, I am on the 5 year program and not a Graduate entry,

I believe the date for CAO is around February, but I would double check that because it might have changed since I did it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Basically I want to apply to Unis in Ireland, but I dont know if I have missed the deadline and how different is it from UCAS?

I am a scottish graduate with 2.1 in Pharmacy and plenty of work experience, planning to set the GAMSAT in march.

However, am not entirely sure of this application process, deadlines etc.

What are the normal requirement for graduates?

Also as a scottish applicant, am considered EU right? what are the fees like?

And do people apply to Irish unis because they seem to think its easier to get into? or is it actually easier?

Thank You!!
    You haven't missed the deadline, its in late January. The requirement is minimum of 2.1 in your degree in addition to getting a good enough score on the GAMSAT (around 54-60 depending on the uni).

In terms of fees its generally in the 12000-14000 euros/year but RCSI is around double that I believe. Apart from them there are 3 other unis offering graduate entry medicine. For UK residents there its very difficult no of getting financial support.

You apply online through CAO which is the equivalent of UCAS. You also need to send in supporting documents by post but online application has to been done by end of January (21st I think).

ReputationRep:
    25,000 per year???

I was going of RCSI, cause that is the only one where i saw the fees for EU students. In general International students have to pay about 31000 euros for most unis and 50000 for RCSI. For home/EU students it is about half of that i think.

And my school gave the deadline for 1st december. Not so sure about the actual deadline although on the TCD admissions website the deadline was 1st of Feb (just looked at it).

ReputationRep:
    How hard is the gamsat?! Biochemistry graduate considering Ireland if UK doesn't pan out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi all - currently a 1st year GEM student at nottingham - I used to gold standard for the gamsat and thought it was great! I had tried the GAMSAT a couple of times before getting the required mark - although persistence is important, so is technique

I am looking to sell these resources - if anyone is interested, please PM me

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a UK applicant and I've applied to the Irish Medical Schools too- I'll be sitting the HPAT and have just registered myself for it. Would anyone know of good courses to go on for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

This CAO application is so confusing lol asking for so many random qualifications....I have no idea whats it all about!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I too am looking at applying to Ireland but for 2016 or 2017 entry.

I'm aware of the system for the GEPs in that you need a 2:1 and then you're selected on the basis of your GAMSAT score so the higher the better right? Hence why I'm going to start revising well...now.

I'm looking at the TCD mature students' entry route and was wondering if anyone had any advice about that? I realise there is an interview aspect to this etc? And for this particular course I would need to sit the HPAT.

Also, is there annyone here on TSR studying at any of the Irish medical schools who could tell me a bit more about the admissions process, the course and generally more about the academic and social life at their medical school and their experiences of studying Medicine in Ireland etc? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gamsat_resources)
    Hi all - currently a 1st year GEM student at nottingham - I used to gold standard for the gamsat and thought it was great! I had tried the GAMSAT a couple of times before getting the required mark - although persistence is important, so is technique

I am looking to sell these resources - if anyone is interested, please PM me

thanks!
    You mean you sat the GAMSAT a few times before applying? I'm thinking of sitting the GAMSAT in early 2015 but not intending to apply until 2016 or 2017 entry, probably the latter.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know cut off for gamsat for IRE unis ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kashagupta)
    I'm a UK applicant and I've applied to the Irish Medical Schools too- I'll be sitting the HPAT and have just registered myself for it. Would anyone know of good courses to go on for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Careers service are slightly cheaper while still very good- not sure if all of the courses are over now though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kashagupta)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same !!!!!. I'm sooo glad I finally found this thread and someone in a similar position to me .

How's HPAT prep going. Have u registered with cao.

Is the ROI med schools your Plan A or Plan B.

Where have u applied to in the UK

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm from Ireland and know my way through the CAO system so could provide info in that regard. I'm not doing medicine, I'm doing Biotechnology, but I did sit the HPAT. I did the medentry HPAT exam prep course and it was very good.

Would anybody be able to help answer my question? (please) I might have a root around for the GAMSAT scores required for entrance if someone would be willing Thanks

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3088057

ReputationRep:
    Hello, does anyone know when Ireland starts sending out interviews or offers?
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluevalkyrie88)
    Hello, does anyone know when Ireland starts sending out interviews or offers?
    Thanks in advance
    I have an interview with Trinity College Dublin in a week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishysmile)
    I have an interview with Trinity College Dublin in a week
    Hey, did you get the invite by email? And are you international btw?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.