Turn on thread page Beta

GIRLS! Would you mind being a housewife? watch

ReputationRep:
    These days both the sexes have to work to get a good income coming in. Being a stay at home mother and a housewife may sound oppressive but it's actually a privilege few enjoy now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    Nope and I see nothing wrong with admitting it. If I could have the chance to never work again, who wouldn't take that opportunity?
    People in that situation are often bored out of their minds and seek out work just to escape from the mindless tedium. Even if you are rich enough to holiday all the time, it can only be so much fun, especially for intelligent people.

I can't imagine not wanting to have interesting work and especially I can't imagine having my income totally dependent on a man.

ReputationRep:
    Right now I'd mind it!! Way too young to give into that - although could cave if was more like "Desperate Housewives" before the 5 year jump and minus the children

ReputationRep:
    I think the people who claim it would be nice "not to work" would be shocked if they tried out the lifestyle, lol. But personally, I would love it. However I couldn't just stay at home all day on my own; I would have to network with other SAHMs and go to groups etc to make more like minded friends. I do think that being looked after by a parent (or grandparent if you're lucky enough to have that option) is the best thing for children - with perhaps one morning/afternoon at nursery each week to gain a little independence. Or play dates with other children at least. I wouldn't want to smother my children, but yes, the lifestyle sounds perfect for me.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like my version of hell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Where are the feminazis at?

ReputationRep:
    No way, I'll be bored and would have to find other means of connecting with people. There's also a chance he could leave me then what?
    I like to be financially stable on my own
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I wouldn't mind, so long as I could still study and do my writing. I love to learn and keep my mind active, and I need a creative outlet. I have quite old-fashioned ideas about my ideal future - a little house in the countryside with a bit of land to keep some animals and grow my own fruit and veg - and I like to cook and potter around .

I'd love that! :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tnshattock)
    50s-60s style, stay at home housewife. Being financially dependent on your partner, cooking, cleaning, taking care of the kid(s) until your partner got back.

Assume that your future husband is a decent one, who does not take you foregranted, and actually gives you the money for things, plus an allowance, etc.

The values of the ideal 50s-60s era home, just for the sake of this scenario.

Would you mind being a housewife?
    YES!!!
    I could not really on someone else financially, as I want some independence and to not rely on someone else (what would happen if you split up??)
    Also, I'm mid-way through my degree currently and absolutely can't wait to start my future career, something I would not give up to stay at home all day. It would be a waste of three years and would make me hate the person I was with for making me give up a career.

The idea of being a housewife does not appeal to me at all. Yes I want kids in the future and to be married, but I also want a career and some independence - all of which I see my family members and people i work with juggle day in day out

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'd mind, I'm really not very ambitious in terms of career. I'd feel sorry for my husband though, my cooking isn't up to much.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind if my husband's caring.

ReputationRep:
    I would really hate that. It sounds incredibly boring to me and I wouldn't want to be financially dependent on anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, I'd hate it.
    I don't mind cooking and tidying up after myself, but doing all the housework whilst my partner does none? Dream on.
    I don't want kids, and if I am persuaded to have them, it will be because I know I'm taking a 50% share or less in raising them. I'd probably be adopting so skip out some of the messiest stages, but staying at home changing nappies or doing bathtime or anything like that just sounds absolutely horrible.
    Financial independence is hugely important to me, and I'd never be able to not work at all (until retirement age or due to illness)! It wouldn't matter how big the "allowance" was, I would rather work a few hours a week on minimum wage and have to choose what I bought carefully, than have endless money at my fingertips to buy things for myself.

I think it's interesting that most people in this thread staying they'd hate it seem to think it would be boring and not necessarily hard work, whilst those who say they'd love it seem to think it would still require a lot of effort. I think it would be difficult because it's jobs that I would absolutely loathe doing, and would therefore drag, but whether it's more effort than an average job...I'm not sure. Probably if you're got the sort of partner who demands you do everything because you "don't work", but if he/she takes some responsibility when they get home, I reckon it's cushier than working a paid job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    People in that situation are often bored out of their minds and seek out work just to escape from the mindless tedium. Even if you are rich enough to holiday all the time, it can only be so much fun, especially for intelligent people.

I can't imagine not wanting to have interesting work and especially I can't imagine having my income totally dependent on a man.
    Interesting work and decent income are relatively difficult to find in the same job, to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the husband, so going by your second paragraph id say yes. For sure. Edit: also it depends on his income because nobody wants to be a struggle housewife.

If I had children, I wouldn't want to leave my baby with a nanny & see them getting hulk-slammed on a nanny-cam. So I think id be a housewife in that situation also.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    But that's very rare. Also nothing wrong with them doing the job as a hobby, jobs tend to become stressful when they actually depend on it for their livelihood.
    Have you ever considered that for some people the stress is part of what they enjoy? The buzz of working flat out knowing that you have to get XYZ done.

Also, why would you volunteer doing the jobs most on TSR aspire to? If you're a doctor or lawyer whose services are literally worth hundreds of pounds an hour it seems daft to just do it for free.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SophiaLDN)
    Depends on the husband, so going by your second paragraph id say yes. For sure. Edit: also it depends on his income because nobody wants to be a struggle housewife.

If I had children, I wouldn't want to leave my baby with a nanny & see them getting hulk-slammed on a nanny-cam. So I think id be a housewife in that situation also.
    Generally the richer they are the less you see them through. Lots of guys I know have stay at home wives and ample income to provide for them, but I see a hell of a lot more of their husbands than they do.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I would mind. Being a housewife seems like absolute torture to me, and I would hate it.

Now, it's obvious that if/when we have children someone will need to reduce their working time (or simply alter it) in order to look after the baby at while the other person is working. That may well be me, seeing as I'm self employed and so can alter my working hours to suit me more easily. I will never give up my job/business though, because it is what I love doing and to give it up just to sit at home would be depressing for me.
    It is more likely that I would stay at home normal business hours (while my OH is working), and then once he's home I'd go out to work while he stay at home. It is unlikely to be 50/50 balanced at that point, but it would be much better than just being a housewife.

I hate cleaning, which is a large portion of what a housewife does. At the moment we split the cleaning of our home 50/50 (although I do slightly more cooking, because I love cooking). There is no reason for us to change this.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind being a housewife as long as I still had a life outside of the house. I'd still want to do something I enjoyed or challenged me, even if it was voluntary work or a hobby or something.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.