Turn on thread page Beta

Broadchurch (series two thread) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    They say they have - everyone thinks it's Joe Miller.

It probably is Joe Miller, I just think it would be an interesting twist if it turned put to be Tom, and they were wrong. It may be too obvious / crude a route, though.
    what's your theory for it being Tom?

Spoiler:
    Show

I mean if you've seen episode 8 then him lying about everything would be horrific
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    Spoiler:
    Show

too predictable, shown deleting his messages in episode 1.

Destroys the significance of Joe and Tom's relationship. I heard they're making stupid plot twists in series 2 like Joe pleads not guilty and they point the finger on Alec.

UK version, Episode 8 was incredible. Shame I read the spoiler on here last night if I hadn't my heart probably would have stopped a moment.
    Glad you enjoyed it.

The reveal of the killer was filmed so expertly. One of the best scenes I've seen from TV this year, along with the end of True Detective's episode six climax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie)
    Just watched the first 2 episodes thinking the second series wouldn't interest me as much as the first, but I was wrong haha!! I noticed some online have criticised it for having simply too much drama going on unlike the first series which of course was more subtle in building up tension and drama, but personally I've really enjoyed the pace of it so far with that crazy ending to the second episode and I'm really intrigued and excited to see where its going to go this series with obviously the trial (I actually didn't see the 'not guilty' plea coming lol, I thought that part of the story would be wrapped up for a new story to take its place) and all this with Hardy's old case and it will be interesting to see what new elements of that plot emerge in the coming weeks.

So many questions at this stage and I'm looking forward to seeing what these secrets that those in the trial might have, although I'm admittedly confused as to what's going on and why the not guilty plea, the suggestion that it was actually his son and that he was covering up for him is an interesting one for sure, though I'm not sure he'd risk the real truth (if that is indeed the real truth) coming out in the not guilty plea and potentially blowing the cover for his son (Kudos if you turn out to be right though!). But we'll have to see and I did think it was particularly twisted that Mark Latimer is now spending time with Tom much like Joe secretly spent time with his own son which of course didn't end well, will be interesting to see what happens there.
    do you not think the whole 'I hate him because he said he's got a new friend' thing is less powerful if it turns out to be a lie? My dad and I agreed that anything like Tom or DI Hardy would be too far-fetched/moustache-twirling for the emotional weight of the original series.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Said it before and I'll say it again, they should make the killer Hardy and link it in somehow with his blackouts.

ReputationRep:
    Watching Series 2 and I'm definitely more invested in the Broadchurch story arc than the Sandbrook one
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ManicPumpkin)
    Watching Series 2 and I'm definitely more invested in the Broadchurch story arc than the Sandbrook one
    Same.

Other things I don't care for atm: the barrister's imprisoned son, Lee Ashworth, Jocelyn and her weird turn before crashing the car.

It's a much better show focusing on Broadchurch and the townspeople's interactions. The best scene last night was between the vicar and the Latimer's at their home, or Ellie and Danny's sister on the stairs.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Vince the dog is back.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Episode five tonight!

ReputationRep:
    Just finished episode 5 and to be honest I have no idea where they're taking this :confused:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This Sandbrook narrative is massively, massively frustrating. Mainly because I'm not emotionally invested in it at all.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty good so far... but thought it was was just me being pedantic when I was increasingly annoyed at all the inaccuracies with the law segments; however, it turns out the reviewer complaints about this made news.

Things like the judge disbarring the CCTV footage in light of Miller's assault... that was ridiculous, considering the confession CLEARLY happened BEFORE the assault. The defence's objection had no grounds there. Also, both counsels go too far with the witnesses and yet NEVER seem to object for badgering or the like when they clearly have opportunity to. Even the judge rarely steps in.

This is not a good trial and it simply wouldn't pass irl.

I know, I know: it's not first and foremost a legal drama. I can overlook minor things for the sake of drama, of course, but the above points in particular are obvious flaws which were just jarring.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    So did Hardy sleep with Claire or is it just some side plot to keep us entertained/questioning?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by peanutbutterjam)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    So did Hardy sleep with Claire or is it just some side plot to keep us entertained/questioning?
    I think he did, but he doesn't seem emotionally attached/involved. He didn't deny it in episode three, though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thoughts on episode six? Only two left now, folks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Thoughts on episode six? Only two left now, folks.
    It's really hard to know if the Sandbrook and Broadchurch arcs are going to meet (e.g. Hardy did both, or the Sandbrook people killed Danny), or they are going to be resolved parallel but separately. I'm 99% sure it will be the latter (as Smash Bandicoot said, Joe Miller is almost certainly guilty - it's not really the kind of drama for unrealistic, crazy changes of villain), but there could still be some kind of twist.

Claire Ashworth clearly has mental problems. If it wasn't evident before, this episode has made it clear. Perhaps Lee Ashworth is trying to protect her from prosecution? It was interesting that they didn't want to live near children again - suggests they have a conscience (if they're guilty).

The real story is how a court case affects a victim's family. I don't think they will do anything too crazy to detract from that.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It was a return to the form of the early part of the series for me.

I'm glad Chibnall didn't go down the route of dismissing Danny's case, that would have been laughable. Good to see some dissension between Hardy's wife and Ellie, too (I wonder if Coleman and Tennant will get together). The Sandbrook case has struggled to get me emotionally invested, but this week I did. Unsure why, but I felt they dealt with it better this week.

Jocelyn came into her own during the quiet interrogation of Tom on the stand, too. First time we've seen that from her.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    One episode left...

ReputationRep:
    I just finished watching episode seven and I am so angry, I just want to know the verdict.

Do you think the last episode will lead into another series or would they be able to wrap everything up???

ReputationRep:
    I just finished watching episode seven and I am so angry, I just want to know the verdict.

Do you think the last episode will lead into another series or would they be able to wrap everything up???
    I certainly hope that the last episode will lead into another series, because this is might be my favourite show at the moment. Really worried about my blood pressure after watching that last episode

ReputationRep:

I know! I thought they would end with the verdict, and leave the next episode for the responses, but of course they had to do that...

The 'natural' ending would be a 'not guilty' verdict, followed by some kind of last minute confession from Joe Miller or someone else (cue another trial ). It could go either way, though. I haven't been good at predicting things so far.

I doubt they can get another series out of this, if the reviews are anything to go by, but they may leave it open for one.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.