The Student Room Group

Does Anyone want to go to university in Germany?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Back Pain
I'm not sure, but surely 'I was wondering' is completely wrong because it implies that you were wondering in the distant past, and aren't 'wondering' in the present unless you state that 'I am wondering'.

Perhaps, anyway I don't especially care at this moment in time, as I got an A* in English lang and am waiting for a response to this question about language requirements
I'm not sure, but surely 'I was wondering' is completely wrong because it implies that you were wondering in the distant past, and aren't 'wondering' in the present unless you state that 'I am wondering'.

And yet saying "I was breathing" is fine. Presumably you are still breathing now and were breathing in the past.

Not sure why you chose to pick up on that and derail the thread.

Yes, I have considered studying in Germany and have applied for a PhD course in Munich but they've not got back to me yet.
Original post by Gott der Zweite
Perhaps, anyway I don't especially care at this moment in time, as I got an A* in English lang and am waiting for a response to this question about language requirements

That's kind of like breaking the speed limit in a fast car and saying to the police who pull you over 'My driving fast doesn't matter, because I passed my driving test first time'.

Just because you got an A* doesn't mean you can blatantly ignore grammatical rules in the meantime.
That's kind of like breaking the speed limit in a fast car and saying to the police who pull you over 'My driving fast doesn't matter, because I passed my driving test first time'.

Just because you got an A* doesn't mean you can blatantly ignore grammatical rules in the meantime.

I said I am not entirely sure about it and that I am not feeling the ergency at the moment as I have A levels to do. Go and start a pedant thread or answer OP

#tbhjustpissoff
Original post by Manitude
And yet saying "I was breathing" is fine. Presumably you are still breathing now and were breathing in the past.

Yes, I have considered studying in Germany and have applied for a PhD course in Munich but they've not got back to me yet.

It's not fine at all. 'I am breathing' is more suitable. Why 'presume' when this leads to uncertainly? Just use the present tense instead. It's more natural.

What do you think about the language requirements being just B1 for Munich, as that is just A* at GCSE and I think most are B3?

What is your problem, that is not the OP question? If you care that much about it, start another thread and get back to us

#sodoff
What is your problem, that is not the OP question? If you care that much about it, start another thread and get back to us

#sodoff

I do care because while I respect your ambition to learn another language, you don't have a fundamental understanding of English tenses, namely past and present tenses. If a simpleton like me can easily find fault with your writing, God knows what someone at a University will think when they read your work.
I do care because while I respect your ambition to learn another language, you don't have a fundamental understanding of English tenses, namely past and present tenses. If a simpleton like me can easily find fault with your writing, God knows what someone at a University will think when they read your work.

Perhaps that would be a better way of phrasing it but 'I was wondering' is fine, as I was and that is what made me start the thread, while 'I have been wondering' would have been more specific.

#seriouslysodoff
I was wondering whether how English A levels are accepted by German universities and so which ones would be realistic. Is there anyone who is determined to do this also and what are they doing or have been doing towards this; I am in year 12. My German is not perfect, so info on where does English courses also would be useful. Thanks

there is a whole thread concerning the comparison of German Abitur and A Levels, which might be interesting for you. You should also look for informations concerning uni-assist, because you are likely to have to apply through it.

Entry requirements are either depending on the competitiveness of the course (means, courses with an NC usually just fill up the places with the best students applying and the NC shows the grades of the "worst" student accepted in the year before) and university policies, thus some may require further requirements, as internships/motivation letters/entrance tests.
Original post by Nathanielle
there is a whole thread concerning the comparison of German Abitur and A Levels, which might be interesting for you. You should also look for informations concerning uni-assist, because you are likely to have to apply through it.

Entry requirements are either depending on the competitiveness of the course (means, courses with an NC usually just fill up the places with the best students applying and the NC shows the grades of the "worst" student accepted in the year before) and university policies, thus some may require further requirements, as internships/motivation letters/entrance tests.

What do you think about the language requirements being just B1 for Munich, as that is just A* at GCSE and I think most are B3?

This has never been explained to me. I'm told that everything is done in English. The Ludwig Maximillian university only 'recommends' that international students learn German. I speak only a few words of German, but if I get the place would pay for an intense language course before I leave.
It's not fine at all. 'I am breathing' is more suitable. Why 'presume' when this leads to uncertainly? Just use the present tense instead. It's more natural.

It depends on the context whether "I am" or "I was" is more suitable, but I'm sure you already know that and you were just generalising.
This has never been explained to me. I'm told that everything is done in English. The Ludwig Maximillian university only 'recommends' that international students learn German. I speak only a few words of German, but if I get the place would pay for an intense language course before I leave.

I don't see how you can be fluent in German from an intensive course
Just one thing to consider..... you must have at least arithmetic skills up to AS level other wise it will affect your application since they value maths
Original post by gnathaniel1
Just one thing to consider..... you must have at least arithmetic skills up to AS level other wise it will affect your application since they value maths

What about AS Chemistry, I'm not doing Maths
Reply 36
I'm going to be studying Computer Science in German at the Leibniz Universität in April. Some parts of the course are actually in English because of foreign professors and the nature of Computer Science etc. I did the DSH language exam as well as an intensive course there. I also have some experience with Testdaf so if you or anybody here need any help about the language exams/requirements, then I can help. It's a fantastic place to study and it puts underfunded British universities and their monstrous fees absolutely to shame. For those who don't speak it well, I would advise to put a lot of effort in to learning German as it will go a very long way.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Trip506
I'm going to be studying Computer Science in German at the Leibniz Universität in April. Some parts of the course are actually in English because of foreign professors and the nature of Computer Science etc. I did the DSH language exam as well as an intensive course there. I also have some experience with Testdaf so if you or anybody here need any help about the language exams/requirements, then I can help. It's a fantastic place to study and it puts underfunded British universities and their monstrous fees absolutely to shame. For those who don't speak it well, I would advise to put a lot of effort in to learning German as it will go a very long way.

Do you know specifically the level of German you need like B3?
Reply 38
Do you know specifically the level of German you need like B3?

Does level B3 actually exist? The level for acceptance is C1 to C2. They say with an extremely high B2 that it is possible to scrape a pass, but I garuantee you would struggle immensely with that.
Original post by Trip506
Does level B3 actually exist? The level for acceptance is C1 to C2. They say with an extremely high B2 that it is possible to scrape a pass, but I garuantee you would struggle immensely with that.

Oh, so it doesn't, I thought it sounded a bit strange. Do you know if there are different entry requirments for English courses if there are any

Quick Reply

Latest